What's new
World Wide Stereo

Identical Speakers for 5.1 Setup (1 Viewer)

BraveHeart123

Second Unit
Real Name
Faisal
Ive had this problem of incorrect sound imaging mainly due to center channel and surrounds not having internal crossover and destroying seemless handshake with the subwoofer (Klipsch SUB-12). My mains are yamaha 7900 with modified internal network plate, which can handle 150 watts rms as opposed to the original 100 watts. The whole setup is powered by yamaha rx-v3900.

Although center and surrounds are also from yamaha but the box designs do not go with the mains to maintain consistenncy in sonic imaging. So, my questions ...... Does having all 5 speakers identical in terms of box dimensions, internal crossovers, drivers, etc solve the problem of sound imaging? Ive heard this setup at a friends house and the sound imaging is out of this world. He's using satellite tiny speakers perfectly matched and crossed at 100 Hz with the sub,thus making bass sharing so seamless and fluid that it puts my towers to shame.

Any advice pls???

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

winniw

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Reed
Five identical speakers will provide the most seamless sound. Then add automatic room correction like, Audyssey, and that should be about as good as it gets. Of course, the better the speakers, the better the whole thing works out. It the speakers are poor, then nothing will help.

BraveHeart123

Second Unit
Real Name
Faisal
Hi Nick thanks for your reply... I've ordered myself 5 custom hand-made identical satellites with 150 Watts rms at 8 ohms. Um hoping to get them today. I'll check what sonic impact and imaging they bring out. In fact, a friend of mine is making them. Ive seen him test them on Classe' avr (180 rms per channel) with REL sub, alongside JM Labs towers (Priced at around of $ 10K), and one cant tell blindfolded between the two. The price is a just under $ 250 per sat.

Any other thoughts would be a big help!!!

winniw

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Reed
I would be very interested in learning more about these satellites that you are getting. Pictures would be nice too, if possible. Are you going with a REL sub or something else?

I used to build speakers myself but I was too lazy to build any for my current HT. I got the Mirage Nanosat 5.1 system on sale for $480. I couldn't resist. It works well for movies and some types of music.

What "other thoughts" are you looking for... that is... advice in what area?

BraveHeart123

Second Unit
Real Name
Faisal
No I will try and mate them with SUB-12, which is quite powerful. REL is way too big for my bedroom. I will post the pictures once I get them. My real problems were seemless handshake between the sub and speakers, poor HTRF, poor encapsulation and immersive effects. Though the previous setup would've been a darling to a novice with tonnes of impact, but for me to be very specific it lacked things like detail, clarity, channel separation, and sound thrust alongside the afore-mentioned problems.

So, this friend of mine suggested me to go with all identical sats to resolve theses problems.

The new sats I am talking about can really scare the hell out of anybody if mated properly with the sub. Ive heard them perform at a friend's place and watched Resident Evil After Life. They absolutely murder any speakers if and only if they are in perfect sync with a powerful sub.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My real problems were seemless handshake between the sub and speakers,
That's usually the problem of not setting up the receiver correctly as opposed to the speakers themselves.

So, this friend of mine suggested me to go with all identical sats to resolve theses problems.
This is the same friend who is selling you speakers. Why would you take the most expensive solution first? Proper receiver setup and calibration is the cheapest route and should be taken first.

BraveHeart123

Second Unit
Real Name
Faisal
First up .... I was wrong about the speakers being capable enuf to outsmart the likes of B&W and JM Labs. Sorry everybody who read the thread and were taken aback. Though the sats I was talking about are massive in terms of response, but the way my friend had set them up was...he had them mated with a sub, designed yet by "HIM", and crossed over at 200 Hz. So, wat he did was he borrowed the mid bass from the sub which was amplifying the thrust of those sats. But when I hooked em up into my system, there was no such thrust and mid bass. SO, the alternative was to replace my sub also, which I am not willing to. So, dropped the idea.

BIG thanx Robert.....Consider me a newbie in HT world and pls advise on how to get strong mid bass i.e. from 120 Hz - 250 Hz. I have Yamaha RX-V3900, Fronts: Yamaha NS-7900 (Modified to pump out 150 watts rms at 6 ohm), Center also from Yamaha I guess it's C55 (modified...has an internal crossover inserted) "The original drivers were directly connected with binding posts without any internal network, and Klipsch SUB-12 (24 hz to 120 Hz).

I tried YPAOing my system with PEQ room correction included in the auto setup of the reciever. I further set the crossover for mains at 80 hz, and for center and surrounds at 120 hz and noticed some improvemnet in the overall sound imaging + channel separation and mid bass region. I know my center and surrounds are weak so I want to use the bass from sub from 120 Hz up to 200 Hz at least. but given my sub doesn't go beyond 120 Hz, is there a requirement to add another sub to cater for wat I want OR am I missing something in properly setting up my HT???

Pls help

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
First I have ask.... Why did you modify the speakers??? Adding 50 watts is NOT that big of a deal and in the end, you still have Yamaha speakers. They will still sound the same only a decibel or 2 louder (50 watts is not as much as it seems). Second, I disagree with the notion that 5 identical speakers is better (assuming you mean full range here). If you have a sub (or 2 or 4) you are much better off than having 5 full range speakers. Most often, the best place to get the best bass is not the same place you put your mains for proper imaging. Having the freedom to move the sub(s) is key to getting the best over all sound. Listen to Robert's advice. Assuming the modifications didn't make things worse (make a cheap speaker sound even cheaper), then properly setting up the receiver should help. You may need to move the sub around a bit as well.

BraveHeart123

Second Unit
Real Name
Faisal
There are only two spots I can place the sub in my bedroom. One is the corner along side my bed, but that's only 3 feet away from my bed, which cause bass localization and 2nd is upfront next to the left main where I cant localize the bass but I somehow do not get the overall surround effect.

I know room acoustics play hec with sound imaging but I cant really change the room.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My sub is only a few feet from me directly beside my couch (check pics in my sig for reference). I cannot localize it. That's because it is properly setup. In fact, when the sub is setup correctly, you should not even know it is there (until something explodes on the screen :D ). This is all done in the receiver.

MerryJones

Auditioning
Real Name
Merry Jones
I am happy to find this post very useful for me, as it contains lot of information. I always prefer to read the quality content and this thing I found in you post. Thanks for sharing. ___________________________________________ best iphone apps Sydney

tonypelicon

Auditioning
Real Name
Tony Pelicon
The best way to prevent any over buffering sound , just get a Bose sound system, they are the most finest sound systems in the world, they can be expensive but they are the best, check this one and u wont regret... they has computers that calculate your room or saloon area and it setup for itself the level of the equalization to prevent any noise. check it at Bose Acoustimass

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks