What's new

Need help with setup...Please (1 Viewer)

Openupshop

Grip
Real Name
Mark
Hello,

I had an HT in a box in NY that sounded great watching movies.

Then we moved to Cali. Our living room is rectangular shaped vertically with the following 5.1.2 setup:
Pioneer VSX-1131R Receiver
Def Tech Powerfield Sub
Front Left/Right: Def Tech BP-8's
Center: Def Tech Pro Center 1000
Height Right/Left: Def Tech Pro Center 60's
Surround left/Right: Def Tech Pro Monitor 60's

Even though these are superior speakers & a superior receiver to what I had in NY(don't remember exact model, but was a $500 Onkyo HT In a box), it doesn't sound as good to me. The front speakers sound great, but surround seem "eh" not horrible but not that great. The sound from the height speakers which are on the ceiling above the left/rights seems to get lost, I kinda can't discern them basically. Adjusting levels hasn't really helped anything.

Anyhow, so recently, someone gave me a pair of Klipsch RF-3's in almost pristine condition.
Now I've heard not to mix speakers, but would using these RF-3's as surround make sense?

What about using the RF-3's as front Left/Right & putting the BP-8's as surround?

Lastly, the RF-3's give me the opportunity to Bi-Amp, good idea? Only thing is I lose the 2 height channels if I bi-amp. At least that's what the receivers manual said.

Would really appreciate your suggestions/thoughts on all this...

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Did you just hook everything up and turn it on, or did you do any type of calibration?

Openupshop

Grip
Real Name
Mark
Did you just hook everything up and turn it on, or did you do any type of calibration?
Oops, sorry forgot to mention that. Yea so I did run the auto calibration, also measured distance manually from each speaker and entered it.

The only thing I haven't tried because it's a bit beyond my knowledge level, is the individual EQ Adjust (image attached) for each speaker.

Attachments

• 20210618_023135.jpg
    20210618_023135.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 18

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scoundrel