What's new

reciever for SpeakerCraft speakers (1 Viewer)

iisight

Auditioning
Real Name
Sumeer
Hi guys,

This is my first home theatre setup. I just moved into a house that is already equipped with the following ceiling speakers (there are 5 identical speakers present in the ceiling):

SPEAKERCRAFT "CRS 625CRS-1" 2-Way in-wall (or ceiling) speakersTweeter: Pivoting 1" liquid cooled silk dome with Neodymium magnetWoofer: 6.5" Glass composite cone with rubber surroundEfficiency: 92dB 1W/1mPower: 5 - 120 watts(undistorted)Impedance.: 8 ohmsFrequency Response: 40Hz - 20kHz+/- 2dBDiameter x Depth: 9.8125"diameter x 4" highCut-out Diameter: 8.25"

From the research I have done, I was hoping to purchase a denon 5.1 reciever. I understand that my reciver needs to have more watts than my speakers (to avoid underpowering them). I am confused as to what "5-120" watts means. Does this mean I need to find a reciever with >120 watts at 8 ohms? Or does it mean that the speaker will take in less watts (lets say 75 watts) and not clip.

Thanks!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Speaker wattage and receiver wattage are irrelevant.Buy your AVR based on the features you want/need.Those speakers are 92db efficient (which is the only relevant spec there is, besides ohm). Those will be producing 85db(the volume you listen to a standard TV show) on a blistering 1/4 of a watt.100Db is "long term hearing damage" and those speakers produce that on less than 10 watts. They'll produce 105db(which is reference volume for 20db headroom) on less than 15 watts.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, you'll have to adjust the "wattage requirement" to room size/type.Small room with live acoustics will require less power than a large room with dead acoustics.Also, the db rating is 1 meter. 2 meters, same volume is double the power. 3 meters is quadruple the power.But...adding a second speaker recovers your initial "loss of volume" over 2 meters. The third through fifth add in a respective 1.5, 1 and .5. Those numbers aren't completely accurate on 3-5, but it has probably been 20 years since I've checked.

iisight

Auditioning
Real Name
Sumeer
I was really concerned about possible clipping/speaker damage, but it seems like that is a nonissue. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks