What's new
World Wide Stereo

How to deal with ceiling speaker enclosures in weak drop ceilings? (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Dolby_Atmos_Home_Vert-small.png

I am looking to *possibly* add two overhead ceiling speakers to my basement home theater so that I may enjoy Atmos sound.​
I have a couple stupid questions to ask. I say "stupid" because I know nothing about the best way to go about all of this. I am depending on some knowledgeable answers from the membership.​
1. I have Atlantic Technology speakers throughout my 7.1 setup. Should the two overhead speakers I am looking to install also be from that company?​
2. I have a drop ceiling in the basement. The acoustic "tiles" are very soft. Almost felt like. They cannot support speakers. I also don't have the skill to hang speakers from the ceiling above it by chain. Should I buy black solid tile panels to mount speaker enclosures into? If so, can you recommend a brand?​
Have another idea if possible....​
3. Is there such a thing as pre-made speaker tiles? By this, I mean you buy a drop-ceiling tile with the speaker enclosure already built into it so that you simply connect the wiring and slide the panel into place?​
I plan to put both speakers directly over my seating, which consists of two chairs side-by-side. I am guessing that would be the proper arrangement.​
Thanks, in advance, for your assistance.​

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
There's probably lots of products out there - e.g. http://www.proacousticsusa.com/category.php?cId=34 or http://www.amazon.com/Bogen-PACK-Drop-Ceiling-Speaker/dp/B0002RU25O

In one spare system I had in-ceiling installed and just added side surrounds for Atmos. I also have an attic above the main system and several months back I had (Axiom) in ceilings put in (but don't have a receiver with the new formats in there yet). As I understand it, you probably don't need anything with really deep bass output.

You actually could just take the ceiling tile out and frame something (e.g. 2x3s or 1x2s) and put a piece of sheetrock just above the tracks (leave enough room to get the tile back either on the track or via glue and of course just cut a hole in it at the proper spot). Something like the Axiom is enclosed. There's also stuff like -

You could also just get regular small bookshelves and put wood supports above the tile to hang them with omnimounts or if you get indoor/outdoor speakers with brackets you can just put wood up there to attach the brackets to and then just cut a hole in the tile at the appropriate spot and the speakers will be flush with the ceiling.

There's many choice.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Phil,

Thank you. Some very compelling choices.

Just having to avoid any kind of handy work -- something I am not very good at.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Subscribing :)

My notion for my basement -- which doesn't help you -- is to buy SVS satellites (to hopefully match my SVS 5.1 set) and ceiling mount them.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Ronald Epstein said:
Phil,

Thank you. Some very compelling choices.

Just having to avoid any kind of handy work -- something I am not very good at.
Ron - screwing together a box like frame structure isn't all that difficult. As long as you can measure and leave enough room for a piece of scrap sheetrock (and that doesn't need to be cut that even) to attach to it and leave enough room to put the ceiling tile back, Home Depot or Lowes will cut the 2x3s for you for a nominal amount. If you don't want much work you can always buy speakers like indoor/outdoor ones or bookshelves with their own bracket and mount them at the proper height. The Atlas Speakers noted in the video are not a bad option either - http://www.atlassound.com/tile-bridge-loudspeaker-packages

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Ronald Epstein said:
I plan to put both speakers directly over my seating, which consists of two chairs side-by-side. I am guessing that would be the proper arrangement.​

No, you don't want them directly overhead. I recommend you and anyone else interested in adding Dolby Atmos read the Dolby Atmos Home Theater Installation Guidelines document which can be found at the bottom of the first post in this thread: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/333419-official-atmos-home-theater-thread-updated-with-first-impressions/ It has recommended layouts for the most common options including 5.1.2, 5.1.4, 7.1.2 (what you are looking into is on page 20) and 7.1.4. It also has recommendations for Atmos Enabled speakers. In addition to just looking at the diagram I recommend anyone interested read through it for more specific instructions and recommendations.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
If I were doing this in my basement theater (I also have a drop ceiling), I think the simplest and most forgiving DIY approach would be to mount the speakers several inches above the ceiling tile (chains, screwed to a plate, whatever works), then replace the entire ceiling tile with a thin wood frame with a few cross braces wrapped in speaker grill cloth (white or black depending on your ceiling color). Probably 1"x1" wood painted to match the tile color.

I realize it's not a "no handy work" solution, but to my eyes, this would be a relatively painless 1 or 2 day project at most.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Ceiling tiles make this easy.

I would buy two more Atlantic Tech, mount them on arms from above. Then...whatever drop tile there is...redo the entire thing in black grill cloth. The speaker is merely going to hang right above it, angled to your seats.

joner7777

Auditioning
Real Name
ian jones
Oops, just found this thread! after posting this elsewhere--

here--
I am trying to plan what to fit into a custom made room soon.
8M x 4M long.
Problem is the ceiling is only 7ft high and was looking at x4 atmos speakers to prewire before fitting roof panels.
With such a low hard surface ,would i be better looking to buy up facing elevated speakers to fire sound up and reflect down (maybe fitted on side walls next to the side surround speakers or fit speakers in the ceiling?
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks