What's new

How often should spider plants be watered? (1 Viewer)

StephenA

Screenwriter
I got a spider plant a month ago because they are my favorite plant and I wanted to spruce up my bedroom a little bit. I've been watering it once a week and spraying the leaves a couple times during the week. Am I doing it too much? It still looks great and the leaves haven't sagged, and I want to keep it this way.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
They thrive on being ignored to a large extent. Myself, I water about once a week. The pots have drainage so I take them to the sink and simply dredge the plants with water, allowing it to fully drain then back goes the saucer. Every year or two, I knock the plant out of the pot, shake out the old soil, and simply repot in a larger pot or if I want to keep them in the same pot, I use a fairly sharp knife or razor and just prune the hell out of the larger roots.

StephenA

Screenwriter
Does this sound like something stupid or bad to do? I also use some of the dirty water from my pet birds to water the plant. Since they crap in it and leave some of their food in the water, I figured it might help leave some nutrients in the soil for the plant when it decays or whatever. So far it hasn't seemed to hurt the plant, which looks better to me than when I bought it.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Damned if I know how much nutrients there are in bird excrement. Personally, I think this is pushing recycling a bit far. If you used new potting soil with fertilizer in it already, your plants don't need much in that way. Myself, I use those fertilizer sticks (Jobs, but any cheap brand will do) during the winter (just put them in once), then during the growing season, just water every now and then with some Miracle Grow or equivalent. The main problem with spiders is that some people just overwater the hell out of them. They truly do thrive on neglect.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member

Umm, if this plant is in your bedroom, I don't think having a bird crap receptacle would be the best thing for your health in the long run.

J

StephenA

Screenwriter
Ok, I guess I'll stop doing this when I water the plant. Maybe I'll try those fertilizer stixks when I get to the store next.

StephenA

Screenwriter
Well it looks like I've done something right with the plant, because 2 baby ones or whatever they're called have recently sprouted. I was kind of surprised to find them.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I think if you keep fish, the water you take when you change the fish's water regularly makes good fertilizer for plants. I take my water and dump it in the garden, figuring, what's left on a properly cycled fishtank is water that is full of nitrates. Nitrates is basically fertilizer and it's good for plants, so I use it.

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks