What's new

How do we get Paramount to add DTS? (1 Viewer)

GregK

Screenwriter
Check out the bitrate on STMP... With a few rare exceptions,
the bitrate is almost always at 5-8mb/s. The bitrate even
peaks higher than that. (PC users could give out better
numbers, vs my "bitmeter") With one DD 5.1 track @448kb/s,
and two DD 2.0 @192kb/s tracks, Paramount *still* has more
room for peak video than the ..umm.. "Superbit" discs with
dual DD/DTS audio. Oh yeah.. unlike "Superbit" DVDs, disc
two of STMP set has all the extras one could ask for. :)
Don't get me wrong, I like DTS, but I hope Paramount
always strongly considers video needs first, and extra
audio options when it will make a marked difference. I'm
also with the rest that the Indy series will be the 1st
Paramount DTS DVDs, due to Spielbeg's ve$ted interest in
DTS. But I'm sure the video won't suffer much at all.
(No sarcasm intended there.)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
So sound isn't practical anymore?
Hmm ok. I thought the sound was the reason we are discussing this.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Nice answer/non-answer. Still waiting.
biggrin.gif

Adam

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I have to admit that on The Red Violin, I am hard pressed to tell the difference (my own personal opinion) between the DTS and DD track. The only instance I've heard where the DTS track sounds better could be attributed to what sounds like a different master (SPR) and I was loathe to give up the extra features so I kept my DD version. A full bit rate DTS track on 12 Monkeys and Out of Sight (rented both for several days) could not convince me to repurchase those titles in DTS.
And on none of these titles did I think that the DD version was lacking. So I would have to agree with Robert on this one. Especially since Paramount tends to use the higher DD rate for 5.1, I think the need for a 1/2 rate DTS track diminishes.

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
Doh, my half-serious answer to the DTS problem has been removed. I still say it's the best solution :)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Carl, obviously I didn't mean that Spielberg HIMSELF single handedly created DTS, but that he was behind it's creation for Jurassic Park.
P.S. Carl, just curious, but were you born with some sort of sarcasm generator genetically hard-wired into your voicebox?
wink.gif

------------------
To the men and women of the N.Y. police and fire department
God bless you.
To the victims and their families
God keep you.
To the dirtbags who caused all this
God help you!!!
[Edited last by John Williamson on November 07, 2001 at 09:28 PM]

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Paramount has always been a studio that did the MINUMUM amount of effort for the MAXIMUM amount of profit for LD and now DVD.
Even John Landis said as much during his chat.
I don't see things changing all that much even with our input. Fox, on the otherhand...
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!
[Edited last by Dan Hitchman on November 07, 2001 at 09:13 PM]

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
I would bet you good money the first DTS title that Paramount puts out will be a small trilogy that Spielberg directed....

Haw. It wouldn't surprise me if those were Paramount's last DTS titles, too. Especially since those are the only movies Spielberg has ever done with Paramount, as far as I can tell.
-Tom
[Edited last by Tom Ryan on November 07, 2001 at 11:05 PM]

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
quote: P.S. Carl, just curious, but were you born with some sort of sarcasm generator genetically hard-wired into your voicebox?[/quote]
Who's sarcastic? :)
[Edited last by Carl Fink on November 07, 2001 at 10:39 PM]

David Judah

Screenwriter
Well, Adam, each codec handles bit reduction differently as you know(in practice DTS relies less on psycho-acoustic masking at the lower bit-rate up to 15kHz), so IMO that leaves enough room for folks to have different subjective reactions.
Paramount holds a minority opinion concerning DTS. That doesn't mean they can't release quality product without it, but it does seem a bit odd in the current DVD market.
DJ

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
So if DTS is on every Spielberg title, where is it on Empire of the Sun? And I know it is not paramount, but just making a point.
------------------
card5.jpg

Duncan Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
Well wasnt that a constructive addition to the debate...
I really dont see the problem if you have a DD 5.1 448kbps track. Is low rate dts really any better?
Sure its nice to have the choice, but I cant say it spoils the release.
I found it comical that someone could watch TMP thinking how much "better" it would sound in DTS.
I like DTS, and where possible support having the choice, but dont think its especially or obviously better than DD.
Please lets not get into these wars again - lets do something constructive like open 20 threads on TPM...

Jeff

Supporting Actor
There is no reason to use DTS unless the mix that is used is different (and superior) than the DD mix.
Jeff

Christoph Oelckers

Auditioning
There is no reason to use DTS unless the mix that is used is different (and superior) than the DD mix.
... and if you encode the different (and superior) mix with DD you are at the same point as before - no significant difference!
I prefer my discs with the best picture quality possible. If DTS does not compromise it - fine. But as soon as the addition of DTS would do so - leave it out. The minor benefits of a DTS track are not worth it!

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
quote: Contrary to popular belief, Dolby Digital-encoded DVDs do indeed produce audible sound.[/quote]
laugh.gif

quote: DTS SUPERIOR! dolby digital inferior.[/quote]
Excellent blanket statement.
rolleyes.gif

Paramount very clearly makes decisions from a strict business perspective. As suggested above any decision as to what a DVD will/will not contain comes down to cost/benefit. Will the inclusion of a DTS soundtrack offer an incremental improvement in sound quality? Possibly. Will the inclusion of a DTS soundtrack offer an incremental improvement in sales sufficient to meet and exceed the extra cost? Highly unlikely. Face it - most of us will buy a desired title with or without DTS, and we're the ones who actually care! The masses beyond the lunatic fringe will not be concerned one way of the other. In other words, don't hold your breath for DTS from Paramount (the potential for the Indy Trilogy notwithstanding).
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no messiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."
[Edited last by Jay Mitchosky on November 08, 2001 at 06:33 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks