What's new

How do we get Paramount to add DTS? (1 Viewer)

They are the last remaining hold-out on the DTS front, and have yet to release anthying in DTS (hell, even MGM used it for Hannibal). I was watching ST:TMP picture the other night and I thought how much better it would have sounded in DTS. Then I read on the Digital Bits that Paramount is finally re-releasing all their early titles with new Anamorphic transfers (like the Jack Ryan trilogy). This would be the perfect opportunity for them to add DTS. Imagine films like Deep Impact, Face-Off, Event Horizon, and future Star Trek Special Editions in DTS. But how do we get Paramount to see the light? I for one will not be upgrading my current Paramount titles if they have no DTS on them.

YANG

Screenwriter
Didn't you read the chat transcripts???They don't have interest with DTS to their major blockbusters at all!

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
But how do we get Paramount to see the light?
That's easy. Convince them that a DTS track would sell enough copies which otherwise wouldn't have sold to make it worth their time and money to include one.
How you do that, I leave as an exercise to the audience.

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
quote: I was watching ST:TMP picture the other night and I thought how much better it would have sounded in DTS.[/quote]
He he he...
quote: I for one will not be upgrading my current Paramount titles if they have no DTS on them.[/quote]
Ha ha ha.
laugh.gif

So...brand-new anamorphic transfers on Star Trek parts 5,6 + 7 and all the extras wouldn't be enough, huh? Whatever floats yer boat, I guess. :)
------------------
LuvLBX
[Edited last by Jerry Gracia on November 07, 2001 at 12:59 PM]
[Edited last by Jerry Gracia on November 07, 2001 at 01:00 PM]
[Edited last by Jerry Gracia on November 07, 2001 at 01:13 PM]

DanR

Supporting Actor
It's pretty clear 3 1/2 years after jumping into DVD that Paramount has their own agenda and does not run their DVD business like many/most of the other studios.
I doubt anything we do will have an impact.
Regards,
Dan

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
(chanting mummy style with a trance-like glaze in their eye's) DTS...DTS...DTS...DTS...DTS...DTS...
------------------
To the men and women of the N.Y. police and fire department
God bless you.
To the victims and their families
God keep you.
To the dirtbags who caused all this
God help you!!!
[Edited last by John Williamson on November 07, 2001 at 01:08 PM]

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Michael,
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
!
------------------
God bless you.
God keep you.
God help you!!!
[Edited last by John Williamson on November 07, 2001 at 01:30 PM]

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
I agree with you 100% Steven. Spielberg is a big advocate of DTS(as most of us probably already know), so it would not be surprising to see the Indy trilogy in DTS(i hope!).

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Rob, Speilberg CREATED DTS. He developed it for Jurassic Park.
------------------
God bless you.
God keep you.
God help you!!!

Vincent Matis

Second Unit
Real Name
Vincent Matis
Rob, Speilberg CREATED DTS. He developed it for Jurassic Park.
If I remember correctly what was said during last year's HTF Meet's visit @ DTS, DTS was created for multi-channels Audio CD, DTS "pitched" their technology to Universal/Spielberg, who accepted to put money on the table to adapt it for theater sound use...
Vincent
------------------

AFI Top 100 Films Home Theater Forum Challenge

AFI Movies Left To Watch: 34 33 32 31 30: Sound Of Music (3.5 out of 4)

Robert George

Screenwriter
Paramount's primary concern for their films on DVD is to maintain the highest level of quality possible. DTS simply does not fit into that equation.
1) 1536 kb/s DTS would adversely affect video quality in some instances (unacceptable)....
2) 768 kb/s DTS offers no practical advantage over 448 kb/s Dolby Digital (unnecessary).
As for the Indiana Jones films, yes, Spielberg did direct, but these are LucasFilm productions. George Lucas and LucasFilm do not have the same ties to DTS as Amblin/Spielberg do. LucasFilm and THX have shown no particular desire to use DTS on any consumer format.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeha, based on the reaction I got from the higher-ups at Paramount (back in the L.A. HTF meet) you can keep yelling till you're blue in the face. DTS will probably not happen any time soon at Paramount.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
quote: 2) 768 kb/s DTS offers no practical advantage over 448 kb/s Dolby Digital (unnecessary).[/quote]
In your opinion of course
wink.gif
Not in mine or alot of other folks. You speak as though these are facts which are not.
On the full bit rate issue I agree it might degrade video quality(might being the operative word). The main crux is that Paramount doesn't offer much anyway in the way of extras that I don't see an issue with them releasing another soundtrack with the current releases or the future ones. With most Paramount disc we're lucky to see a trailer and thats almost a special edition to those people.
Of the entire time they have been producing dvds I can't hardly remember more than 10 TRUE Special editions or for that matter even equal to what Fox or New Line might call a special edition.
To their credit, I can't say I can complain about their video mastering at all though.
[Edited last by Shane Martin on November 07, 2001 at 05:21 PM]

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Pay for the mastering costs yourself, and if there's enough room on the disc after compression I'm sure they'd be open to the idea :)

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Speilberg CREATED DTS.
He actually sat down and worked out such a complex compression scheme? Where on earth did he find the time? I didn't know he was even that adept at such things. Truly a talented individual!

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Shane, this isn't intended to start a whole new DTS debate, but exactly what practical advantages does 754kbps DTS offer over 448kbps Dolby Digital? I can't think of any.
We're not talking about subtle/theoretical differences here remember, we're talking about practical improvements (practice or action rather than theory or speculation) directly related to the format itself that would justify its 70% larger size.
In this sense, Robert is (IMO) absolutely correct.
Adam
[Edited last by Adam Barratt on November 07, 2001 at 06:05 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks