What's new

Help with Anthem AVM20 Problem (1 Viewer)

Joe Ar

Auditioning
Attetion Dougs,
I can't wait for SFI to send me the fuse so I hope to stop by a electronics store today on the way home from work to pick up this fuse. ("T" or slow-burn) .315ma 5x20mm glass type 125 or 250V Nick @SFI also mention a main fuse (same style)of 1A so I will get one of those as well. I haven't opened up my AVM20 yet to know for sure if any of them are blown, so after I try these I will let you know. Nick @SFI also seemed interested in my results as well. Nick seemed to think it had something to do with my line conditioner...I not sure I agree but when he tried to explain there was too much noise at work in the backround and I couldn't hear his reasoning.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Does Radio Shack carry the Slow-Blow version of the 315mA? I know they carry the fast-blow version in-store (at least they did back in December).

Doug

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Joe,

"The problem happened to me when I used to remote control to turn on the AVM20, it went on, then off and then nothing."

This might be a clue to the "real" problem. I haven't been using the remote to turn on our AVM-20. Right now, I only use the CD, DVD and VHS players with the AVM-20. As such, the first thing I do is load one of the players. At the same time, I reach over and turn on the AVM-20 via the front panel power switch. As mentioned before, I have yet to experience a blown fuse.

I wonder if the fuse blowing has something to do with the circuit connected to the remote sensor?

Michael

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Michael, I doubt that is part of the rationale behind this problem but you never know.
In over 100 times turning on my AVM-20, I've probably only turned it on by hand 2-3 times and yet I have not experienced this problem.
Almost exclusively remote control for me (knock on wood);)

Ron Alcasid

Stunt Coordinator
Update: It was the main fuse that blew on my unit, not the standy fuse. I took my AVM20 to my dealer, we opened it up and tested the fuses with a multimeter, the main fuse was gone. We installed another one, it blew 5 minutes later. Don't freak out yet, my salesman didn't know if the 1A fuse we installed was a slow blow but he thought it would be a good idea to have their techs look at the AVM20.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Ron,
For your AVM-20 to work for a month and then be able to blow a new fuse in 5 minutes (regardless of it being a fast-blow or slow-blow) would seem to indicate that something has gone wrong inside of your unit. But don't ask me what it is, I have been wrong on this thread more than once! :)
Evan,
Speaking of being wrong, I guess my idea of a remote sensor circuit causing the problem is way off base, given your experience with the AVM-20 and its remote. But it would appear that something other than Sonic Frontier's explanation (line conditioner or surge protector) is the cause of at least some of these problems.
Michael

Joe Ar

Auditioning
Somebody must hate me,

I open up my AVM20 yesterday afternoon and found out that my 1 amp fuse had blow. I only bought the "T".315 on Friday (Not enough cash on me for both & $7.50 for 5 fuses, Ouch!) so needless to say I was pissed when I realized that the 1 amp blew...I went to my only option on Sunday "Radio Shack" and was lucky to find the slow blow 1 amp fuse. I raced home and was horribly dissapointed to find out that that as soon as I turned the unit on, the 1 amp blew again. I will contact Nick @SFI tech support, but it looks like mine is going to the shop!

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Joe,

When you replaced the 1A fuse, did you disconnect all of the cables on the back of the AVM-20 before turning it back on? Also, did you plug the AVM-20 directly into an AC outlet (if you weren't already)?

There is still the possibility that you may have a short in one of the cables that is causing the fuse to blow. Since more than one person appears to be having this problem, chances are a shorting cable is not the reason, but it would be useful to elimimate all other parameters.

Let us know what you find out.

Michael

Joe Ar

Auditioning
Mike,
To answer your questions: When I replaced the 1A fuse nothing else was connected. I plugged it in directly into the wall outlet. This is a dedicated outlet for my stereo equipment only. SFI acted like this is a new problem (as opposed to .315 fuse) and told me to bring it into the dealer for repair.:frowning:

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I just noticed when doing my 950 vs. AVM-20 shootout that when I was unhooking my AVM-20 I found something interesting. Right above where the power cord attaches to the back of the AVM-20 there is silkscreened "Fuse: 1.0A Slo Blow".

Those of you who own the AVM-20 might want to give your back panel the once over to see which fuse is installed in your unit and to see if you are succeptable to this problem.

Joe Ar

Auditioning
Fellas,

I have gotten tremendous news last week while I was away, my AVM20 was fixed by replacing both of the fuses by my Dealer. They contacted tech support because it was going to take some time to get my unit replaced or repaired and wondered if there was something else they could try before sending it back. It seems that the Radio Shack fuse that I used might not have been UL approved (probably just crap) or that the combination of changing both fuses seemed to fix my problem. My dealer bought quality fuses I'm told and I now have it at home and it was working flawlessly.

I really missed it having to go back to my Fosgate!!!

Questions?

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I'm having problems finding a dealer willing to sell me an Anthem. I'm about 2 weeks from being ready to buy and thought I'd start looking for a good price.

I have no local dealer (the nearest one is 4 hours away) so I'm forced to go mail order. I've emailed a LOT of the "authorized dealers" from the list on the Anthem website. Every single one that has bothered to respond has told me they are not authorized to sell unless I walk in their store. It's getting pretty rediculous.

I've emailed Anthem asking for help but they don't seem interested in responding.

Any suggestions?

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
At this point in time, I would be leery about purchasing an AVM-20 from someone other than a local dealer. Given the issue with the fuse(s), I would want a local dealer available just in case I needed repairs or a replacement unit.

I know this is probably not the answer you wanted to hear, but I tend to be the cautious type. Buying online, even from an "authorized dealer", is still a risk and an inconvenience, although it is almost certain you will get a lower price.

Michael

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Camp,

I've emailed Anthem asking for help but they don't seem interested in responding.
This wouldn't sit well with me, but I tend to give a company the benefit of the doubt when it's email, as sometimes it can get lost in transit, mishandled on their end, etc. As such, I'd give them one chance by phone. If they can't figure out a reasonable way of getting your business,...

Doug

Doug_B

Screenwriter
At this point in time, I would be leery about purchasing an AVM-20 from someone other than a local dealer.
I hear ya! I recently had problems with the display's backlight. The dealer gave me a new unit (had the problem unit for 3 months). He supposedly cleared this course of action with the Anthem sales rep. His backup plan was to give me a loaner.

Doug

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I have e-mailed Sonic Frontiers headquarters about 5 times and it usually takes about 24 hours for them to get back to me. So far, they have never failed to respond within 48 hours. I'd be a little more patient Camp.

MikeAF

Stunt Coordinator
All this talk of blown fuses is causing me to shy away from the Anthem, at least at this time. Fortunately, I have a dealer nearby. A couple of questions for the onwers. What is the URL for Sonic Frontiers so I can get a look at the AVM20? I'm interested in surround formats, warranty, zone 2 operation, ease of use, and other features of this unit so I can compare it to the Outlaw 950 and the new Aragon Stage One. I know there is another thread but I have read it already and would like the web address so I can have a look for myself. Thanks.

Mike

MikeAF

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,

Thanks for the quick response. I know I will have some questions for all the AVM20 owners later, and I hope you will all be kind enough to anser those questions. Thanks.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks