What's new

New Anthem AVM20 owner with a question...? (1 Viewer)

MikeAF

Stunt Coordinator
Just received my new Anthem AVM 20 today and spent the last couple of hours setting it up. I am having one problem I'm hoping other owners can answer for me. I played TPM pod race scene and the beginning of ToyStory 2 and everything works great except my right rear speaker. I have checked all the connections and the test tone plays fine through this speaker but I am getting very little if any sound through this speaker while watching the movies. The left rear surround sounds great and the light on my amp lights up to show there is sound being sent there but not the right one. I had the THX Surround EX mode set to on and both rears are calibrated correctly. Anyone care to venture a guess? Might I have a bad unit? It seems strange that I can use the test tones to set the level of this speaker but can't get any sound out of it when playing these movies. Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks

Mike

Camp

Senior HTF Member
That is odd.
Have you tried other sources? Perhaps the Pod Race scene juse doesn't use that speaker much (though I find that hard to believe).
Try to isolate the surround mode...how does it sound in 5-channel stereo mode? ...straight DD? Do you have any DTS music discs? Try a DVD-A/SACD multichannel disc. How about Cinema Logic on a DPL or DD source?

After doing that you'll know if the problem just lies in a single mode.

MikeAF

Stunt Coordinator
Camp,
I will try your suggestions, but when I played the Eagles DTS DVD and the Blue Man Group I did not get sound at all from the rears. Should I get sound from the rears from a 5.1 source, and if so what sound mode should I have it in to get 7.1(or really 6.1 with the rears sharing the same signal)? Keep the suggestions coming.

Mike

Dennis Oblow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dennis
I would suggest replacing the interconnect cable from that channel with another one in case it is defective.
Also try turning surround EX off. Lastly press the mode button and set it to none.

MikeAF

Stunt Coordinator
I called Nick P. at Sonic Frontiers as he was looking into my problem. They had me put my main speakers to large and this did the trick until they can come up with a software fix which he said the programmers would work on. It seems my original speaker configuration of mains = small, center = small, side surrounds = small dipole and rear surrounds = small was causing the trouble in Surround EX mode. Maybe someone else can try this and see if their right rear surround stops working. Anyway, I have the Diva 6.1's for mains so it was no big deal to set them to large for the time being until the problem can be resovled. By the way, the AVM20 is an awesome piece and the customer support has been fantastic so far.

Mike

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
"It seems my original speaker configuration of mains = small, center = small, side surrounds = small dipole and rear surrounds = small was causing the trouble in Surround EX mode."

You are kidding me, right? Do you know how many people have a setup with all "small" speakers in their HT? I would say that the majority of them do.

Just in case someone thinks I am trying to flame Sonic Frontiers during their struggles, I own the AVM-20 and love it!

Michael

MikeAF

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,
I agree with you. I thought my configuration would be a normal one most people would use. I don't mind having my mains set to large, but I hope they come up with a fix, an explanation, or get me a new unit. I love everything else about the AVM20 so far.

Mike

Rich X

Stunt Coordinator
Very odd. I have used the all small configuration on my AVM20 as well as having mains set to large and super (bass info goes to both speaker and sub)and have never had an issue. BTW I have smallish mains and like the super setting a lot.

MikeAF

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,
For now I have my mains set to large when I watch movies. Nick at Sonic Frontiers was suppose to email me a fix but I have not received one as yet. I have not played around too much more to check out the problem which I will do when I get some time later today or tomorrow. If I'm still having a problem I will email Nick again or I will call my dealer and see about getting a new unit.

Mike

MikeAF

Stunt Coordinator
Marc,
I emailed Nick today and he said that it was a problem with the version 1.16 software and they had a fix and were testing it to make sure. He did not give me a timeline when I might receive the fix but I will let you know. They may put it on their website, but we'll have to wait and see.

Mike

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Mike,

Any chance you can find out what differences there are in 1.16 over 1.12 (which everyone else appears to have)?

Perhaps your communication with Anthem could yeild some answers.

Thanks in advance,

Dennis Oblow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dennis
Does anyone know if V1.16 is to address issues or add features before the hardware upgrade or along with the hardware upgrade?

MikeAF

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know what the difference between verions 1.12 and 1.16 are. I was suprised when I got my AVM20 and it had the new version, as I was expecting version 1.12. Next time I email Nick at Sonic Frontiers I'll ask him if he knows what the new version added.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks