What's new

Proud new owner of a Bryston 9BST (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleinberg

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
I had been using a Marantz av9000 and a carver av705-thx, with paradigm refence speakers for the past 2-3 years. In september I upgraded from the Studio 60's to 100's and last month added the Anthem avm20 v2. This made a great improvement in sound quality, but with SACD and DVDaudio with their high dynamic range the vollume needs to be higher, this led to some harshness of the treble with some colapsing of the sound stage. I purchased a bryston 9bst yesterday and much to my suprise the improvement is amazing. I "thought" i heard a diffence when I added the carver to my old denon 3200, but the addition of the Bryston is spectacular. Louder just equal clearer, no compression, no harsh treble. I'm sure the carver limited my appreciation of the anthem, and now i'm probable hearing it as it should be. I am a skeptic by nature, and really expected to return the Bryston it's $2400 I really shouldn't have spent. I really thought i was at the point of diminishing returns with the carver(stereophile class B, very highly rated and excellent reviews, but the Bryston is just so much better. Even with movies. I never believed magazines when they state significant differences between two high quality amps when it came to theater sound, because my feeling was at this level the source is the limiting factor. I mean how much diffence can an amp make on a 548kbs signal. The answer: A Hell of lot. i watched spy kids last night and can't believe the difference, sounds just flowed between speakers and everything was much more dynamic. DVDaudio and sacd were much clearer and well defined , especial at moderate to loud levels.

Questions
I am using kimber pbj's, for 1 meter is a balanced interconnect going to make a noticable difference in sound quality

The amp has no trigger(i got it a cost, and they had no thx units with the trigger) My monster hts2500 is switched, but bryston states that power conditions can limit current and thus are not recommended. Anybody have any opinions on this,and any ideas to switch the amp, my preamp has a 12v trigger out.

Thanks
Jeff

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
Jeff, I know EXACTLY what you mean about the brystons. I had gone through 25 amps (Im not exagerating, 25!) and mostly the differences were minor, so when I purchased the brystons I wasnt ecpecting that much difference. From the minute I hooked it up my jaw dropped, day/night difference the bass, mids, highs, soundstage, resolution, cymbals and womens vocals all improved dramatically. I was a former amp slut but I have found my amps for life.

Dont believe the occasional review that says they are bright/edgy as this is the furthest thing from the truth, it isnt warm but dam it is sweet..

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I am an admirer from a far. :) I have a 7.1 200W/channel Acurus set up. Even tried an Aragon for awhile, but I couldn't justify the cost for any incremental performance that may or may not have been evident. But I will say this, if I could afford Bryston? That's what I'd have. :) I'm jealous...

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
Kevin,

You can afford it if you have the acurus (nice amp)..Look around for some lexicon nt amps (exact same amp as Bryston st) for a lot lower price. I can attest to its quality and sonics. You probably could sell the acurus I come out darn near even (Just something to ponder)..

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Kevin,

As John mentioned, the Lexicon NT amps can be found at $350-400 per channel on ebay and audiogon, retail was $800-900 per channel (the bigger NT225 aka 4B-ST was 2500 retail). Not too much over what your Acurus amps would sell for. I think the huge discounts are driven by the new SST amps and the discontinued Lexicon DC2/MC1 faceplates.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Something to think about. There would be a little bit of a price difference though. The Acurus is more roughly $200 - $250 a channel: the A200 I got for $500, and I got the A200x5 for about $800... :)

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Kevin,

I agree, you are probably looking at a $1000 upgrade: sell acurus amps for 1400 and buy the Lexicon 512/212 combo for ~2400 (1600 and 800). If you listen to alot of highres sacd/dvd-a multichannel music, it might be worth it as monoblocks would give you better channel separation and eliminate crosstalk. And you would also have amps that you wouldn't need to think about upgrading.

Jeff Kleinberg

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
Just wanted to update the situation. The 9BST has been great, but they were unable to get me the handled face plate. so after 2 months, bryston is sending me a new 9bSST. I cant wait to hear if it is an improvement in sound. On another note I now have the carver av705x in the system and I must say I am suprised how easy it is to tell the difference between amps. The bass is much more boomy with carver, with much less imaging and soundstage. I report my findings when the sst arrives this week or next.

Jeff

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Jeff,

I am looking forward to your comments on ST vs SST. I just noticed you are in Denville. Where did you buy your 9BST?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks