What's new

Anthem owners I need help with Avia calibration ... please? (1 Viewer)

MikeAF

Stunt Coordinator
I love the new AVM20 but had a few questions on calibrating with Avia. I calibrated using the AVM20 setup menu and it's test tones. I set the reference to 75db which put me at -7.5db. I then calibrated all my speakers with the test tones from the AVM20. They are all in the +4.0db area. When I play a movie it gets really loud around -20db. Is this normal? When I calibrate with the test tones from Avia thru the DVD player can someone tell me step by step how to do this? If I play the test tone from Avia how do I adjust the speaker levels on the AVM20 without stopping the DVD? Sorry these may be easy questions but I'm missing something here. Is it different calibrating with Avia than thru the AVM20? Easy to follow directions would be reatly appreciated. Thanks
Mike;)

MikeAF

Stunt Coordinator
Bump - cone on gys just a little help in the difference between calibrating with the AVM test tones and using Avia, and how to use Avia.

Mike

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
I'll let you know tomorrow. I have mine at home waiting for Rotels that I am picking up today and will calibrate tonight.

Marc

Doug_B

Screenwriter
When I calibrate with the test tones from Avia thru the DVD player can someone tell me step by step how to do this? If I play the test tone from Avia how do I adjust the speaker levels on the AVM20 without stopping the DVD?
Trying to remember Avia. I believe there is an item where you are measuring the output of each speaker against one of the mains (maybe left main), correct? The slow and sure way to do it is to then note the difference between center level measurement (for example) and left main measurement as they switch back and forth (using a meter). Pause the Avia disk, go into the Anthem menu, and adjust the center level based on this difference (you really don't have a lot of time to do the adjustment while the tones are going back and forth, but what's the rush). Go back to Avia and repeat these two speakers to see if the levels are now the same. Readjust Anthem 20 center level again if there's still a discrepancy. repeat for other speaker pairs.

Since I believe the Anthem enforces level changes on the fly as soon as you make them, you could leave the Anthem in the appropriate level adjustment menu for that speaker while you're doing your measurements.

The important thing is that all speakers get calibrated to each other. The Anthem's master volume setting is not critical. I have no experience with Anthem's test tones, so I do not know if 1) they are just as good as Avia in matching speaker levels, and 2) whether there is expected to be a considerable offset in master volume setting between them. Again, the latter is not important, but I understand the desire to have differences explained.

Doug

MikeAF

Stunt Coordinator
Doug,
Thanks for the explanation. It was kind of what I fugured I needed to do but it would seem there would be an easier way. You are correct about the AVM20 setting reference level thru the left main speaker. I will look closer at Avia this weekend and play around and see what happens.

Marc_E,
I'm sure you're excited about putting it all together. Let me know how you calibrate your system and what your levels are so I can compare what I have.

Thanks to both of you for your responses.

Mike

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
Well, it is 12:30am and I am still friggin wiring.

May be done in an hour or so.

Marc

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
Well, I have a shit load of wires/components. I was done around 2am. Only got to listen to it for about 30 minutes (5 was spent using the interrnal tones to calibrate). I calibrated to 75 and, if memory serves, most were about +/-2db. I did not have a chance to use avia yet. In the past, I always noticed a difference between the avia test tones and the internal tone. I put on a movie for my kid this morning (Toy Story 2) and sat with her for a few minutes. I had the volume around -19 and it was a good level. A little loud. I will try to check avia today.

Can I just say that the AVM-20/RMB-1095/RB-1090 sounds AWESOME! In my short listening time (and not even close to broken in) I noticed new things in TPM that I had not heard and clarity I have never experienced (big soundstage too) compared to the Onkyo 989. My wife even noticed clarity differences when she was passing through the room and my daughter was watching TV. Now that is proof positive (she usually just thinks I am nuts when I walk in the door when she and my daughter are watching something and I immediatly walk over to the Denon 1600 DVDS and turn on the progressive (on/off on front panel) because they were watching interlaced and I noticed it w/in a second 'Yuck!...There, that's much better!').

Marc

MikeAF

Stunt Coordinator
Marc,
Your settings seem to be very close to mine. Glad to hear you have everyting working. Again, when you get a chance and have TPM or Toy Story 2 on put it in Surround EX mode with your mains set to small and see if your right rear speaker is working. If you have version 1.16 it may not, if you have another version it may. Thanks!!

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread