Help with Anthem AVM20 Problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Doug_Fr, Apr 15, 2002.

1. Doug_Fr

Doug_Fr Extra

Hooked up my new AVM20. Worked perfectly for about 2 days -- just long enough to realize its a great piece. Then, whammo, it doesn't work. When you hit the power, no power LED's light up, the screen stays dark but the word "Anthem" appears in very dim grey letters. No buttons work except mode which says (in dim letters) no stereo source found. No sound through speakers. Nothing changed between the time it worked fine and the time it didn't -- hook up was the same. No apparent power fluctuations, etc. Anybody have any ideas other than unplugging it for a while (did it to no effect)? My dealer is being great but there are no new units in stock and I want mine to work while I'm waiting for a new one.

2. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Doug,

That's the first time I have heard of this problem. Actually, it is the first time I have heard of ANY problem with the AVM-20. It seems no manufacturer is immune from hardware/software problems these days.

Have you tried disconnecting everything from the AVM-20 and powering it up this way? Also, did you flip the power switch on the back panel from off to on, and then tried the front panel power button?

Michael

3. Doug_Fr

Doug_Fr Extra

Thanks Michael. I have tried all of your suggestions (repeatedly over the past few days) and nothing worked. Let me make clear that my dealer and Anthem/Sonic Frontiers have said/done all the expected and right things -- I'll get a replacement but there will be some delay. So, I"m not casting aspersions on Anthem -- stuff happens. I just with it didn't happen to me!

4. Dennis Oblow

Dennis Oblow Stunt Coordinator

Dennis
    Do you have the AVM20 plugged into the wall or through some power conditioner. The manual states that some power conditioners could blow one of the fuses.

5. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Does the Anthem have a hard reset button? Many times this reset is found behind the volume knob(you have to pull it off) and is accessed with a toothpick or a straightened paperclip. BUT, I don't know if the Anthem uses this reset, or even has a hard reset at all, so call and ask Anthem first.

6. Michael Mohrmann

Doug,

I hope I didn't give you the impression that I was taking some sort of shot at Anthem because of your problem. I own the AVM-20 and find it to be a near-prefect addition to our system. I was just acknowledging that these kinds of issues crop up even with the best of them, and by doing so I was hoping to avoid the typical verbal bloodbath that has (unjustly) hampered many Rotel and Outlaw prepro threads in recent days.

Dennis,

Interesting comment about power conditioners and the AVM-20. The owner's manual of my CDP also has a similar statement about power conditioners.

Michael

7. Doug_Fr

Doug_Fr Extra

Michael

I did not read your post as a slam -- I just wanted to clear up any ambiguity in my post

Also, I did not use a power conditioner - straight into wall.

Question for all -- my dealer is offering me his demo (6 weeks old, works perfect) as a swap for my DOA unit or I can wait for a new, back-ordered one. Same price, same warranty. Anybody have a view?

8. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

If it has the same warranty, I would take it. Dealers typically don't run their Demo stuff all the time...they only showcase it for interested buyers so I doubt the unit has gotten much more wear than a typical in home unit would have gotten. Plus, you do not have to wait for the 6 weeks to get a new unit. If it's the color you prefer, I would simply take the demo unit. After having mine for a month now, I doubt I could wait another 6 weeks for a replacement. I also know of another member of the Anthem fraternity who got a dealer demo and said his unit doesn't have a scratch on it and he's very happy he went that route.

9. John Morris

John Morris Guest

10. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I was going on the assumption the dealer would mark down the price. I missed that point in his original post. Yes, the demo unit is used and should be priced accordingly, but with that being said, if his dealer gives him 10-15% off on the demo, I think he should take it.

11. Michael Mohrmann

"Yes, the demo unit is used and should be priced accordingly, but with that being said, if his dealer gives him 10-15% off on the demo, I think he should take it."
    That's how I got mine, 10% off a dealer demo, the only one he had in the black finish. I also happen to live in a high-cost area (San Jose-San Francisco, California, USA), so expecting more of a discount in an area where people offer more than the asking price of a house was not possible. But a discount for a demo unit should be a given.
    BTW, the demo unit was pristine, the upgrade to software version 1.12 with our PC went flawlessly, and the AVM-20 hasn't had one problem since we purchased it over 5 weeks ago.
    Michael

12. Doug_Fr

Doug_Fr Extra

Not to get nosy, but when you say "10% off for the demo" are you talking about 10% off the MSRP of $3100. I ask because I got a great price on my new (defective) one before the buzz got so hot on these units. My guess is that I would never get that price today with them flying off the shelves.

13. John Morris

John Morris Guest

14. Douglas_H

Douglas_H Stunt Coordinator

How 'bout this.

You'll take the demo and the dealer throws in the

upcoming upgrade card for free.

Does this seem reasonable?

15. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

16. Ron Alcasid

Ron Alcasid Stunt Coordinator

17. Michael Mohrmann

Ron,

"My AVM 20 had been working perfectly for a month now but the same thing just happened to me this morning."

Since this is the second time this has occurred (well, at least as far as this forum is concerned), I would contact Sonic Frontiers/Anthem directly in addition to contacting your dealer. It almost sounds like they have a QC issue with the power supplies (or switch controls) in the units built in the last few months.

Being an AVM-20 owner (for almost two months), I am not pleased with this turn of events. Not because I expect it to happen to me (although the odds have increased that it might), but because the AVM-20 will now possibly get trashed on the forums due to some hardware issue, obscuring its wonderful sound and features.

Michael

18. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Wow, this is disturbing. Please e-mail Sonic Frontiers and after talking with them and your dealer please tell us what the course of action should be should it happen to anyone else.

19. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

OK, I e-mailed Sonic Frontiers about this problem and here is what I got in response. Seems like they solved the problem with recent units, but the people who have experienced this issue are the people who got their units most recently...which doesn't make sense. Oh well, here is the explanation.
    Hi Evan,
    Thank you for your e-mail.
    In this case, it looks like the standby fuse blew, which isn't a big
    problem. In intially, the AVM20 was designed with a 315 milliamp fast blow
    fuse in the 12 volt supply, but was then discovered to blow prematurely with
    certain surge protectors or line conditioners. A 315 mA slow blow fuse is
    now used with no problem.
    If you have any further questions, please contact me. When replying, please
    do not delete the message body.
    Best Regards,
    Nick P., Technical Support Representative
    3535 Laird Road, Unit 16
    Mississauga, Ontario
    CANADA L5L 5Y7
    Tel: 905-828-4575 ext. 240
    Fax: 905-828-4585
    www.anthemAV.com
    BREAKING THE SOUND BARRIER !!!!!

20. Michael Mohrmann

Evan,

Thanks for the update. I wonder if Doug and Ron were using any of the line conditioners or surge protectors in question? If so, then Anthem did a good job in finding the solution to this problem in relatively quick fashion (~2 weeks). It also might explain why my 3-4 month old AVM-20 hasn't had the problem - I am connected directly to an outlet. I realize this is a gamble of sorts, but I have yet to find a line conditioner or surge protector that did not negatively impact the sound of my prepro or CDP, at least within a reasonble cost.

Michael