Rotel RSP-1066 mini-review...Compared to a Yammie RX-V3200 for pre-amp...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Levesque, Oct 21, 2002.

1. Levesque

Levesque Supporting Actor

I don't know why but we don't see much talk about this pre-pro anymore, so I've decide to post a "mini-review", because it's a direct comparaison between an almost top of the line receiver and a dedicated pre-pro. I see alot of post on this "hot subject": good receiver or real pre-pro, is there a difference?? For me, it's a firm YES...

I've just replace a Yamaha RX-V3200 that I was using for pre-amp with a Rotel RSP-1066, 2 days ago. I'm using this with a Rotel RMB-1095 (5X200) + Rotel RB-1050 (2x70) + 4x Paradigm Studio-40 + Studio-CC + 2x Studio-20 + Servo-15.

I was having a problem with a bad white noise from all speakers when using the Yammie in this configuration. Swithching to the RSP-1066 solve my problem. Silence bliss in quiet part. Case closed.

The first BIG difference, an in your face difference, is the resolution of details that I got now with the Rotel. Listening to LOTR again (like the 10th time!!), a film that I know everything about, is revealing so much little details I was not aware of before, it's almost frightening. The sound is clearer, cleaner, and really crisp. The Yammie was hidding a lot of details.

The other improvement is the sound-stage. After 10 minutes of listening, I tought I did'nt plug my center channel to the Rotel...but the fronts are now blending so well with the center that I can't tell where the sound is coming from!! With the Yammie, I was always trying to "blend" to front stage, moving the speakers, etc, but everything coming from the center was always really directionnal and distracting. With the Rotel, I finally got this perfect blending of the 3 front speaker!!

Listening to DVD-Audio is a totally different experience with the Rotel. Again, the resolution of details is really better. I was not that impress with DVD-Audio, and not "attracted" to it (I own 25 DVD-Audio) and wasn't coming back to it. But now, I will go back to my collection, because, NOW, it's quite an experience!! You want a concrete fact? I gave the bottle to my newborn (10 days old) listening to Mozart Piano Concerto 21, and she fell asleep after 2 onces only, and usually she drinks 5 onces non-stop!! That's a testimony!!

I know that people talk alot of problems with bass management with the Rotel RSP-1066 on different forum. But I don't see any difference in the bass from what the Yammie was giving me. I'm using a Denon DVD-3800 that is doing BM in multi-channel, so I think it's canceling this issue, or helping it so much that it's impossible for me to spot. My DVD-Audio experience is full of bass, like with the Yammie, not to much, not less. I think the problem is for people using full range speakers, and it's not my case. But I don't ear any difference, so case closed for me!

The only "drawback", a minor one, is that I don't find the settings and the remote really intuitive. I had to read the manual closely with the Rotel, and even do some "trial and error" to set everything, compare to the Yammie, that is a lot easier to set for first use. The Yammie remote is easier to use to. But for me it's not a real problem, but for Joe-six-pack trying to make everything works with both will probably have an easier time with the Yammie then the Rotel. The Yammie is a bit more "user friendly"...

Sorry for the long post. Everything here is my humble opinion.

I'm now a firm believer that a receiver, almost a top of the line for Yamaha, cannot compare to a real pre-pro. Maybe Denon or another company would be different, but Yamaha can't compete with the Rotel RSP-1066 IN MY SYSTEM. Maybe with different speakers it would be different to. But IN MY SYSTEM, I'm now in complete ecstacy withy the Rotel, and I WAS NOT with the Yammie. The sound I was researching was just not there.

For people out there that dream of a Anthem AVM20 but can't afford it, do yourself a favor, and go buy a RSP-1066. it's the best price/value on the market right now, and at this price (I've paid 1500$ cdn) it's a steal!! Don't tell Rotel they could sell this unit for double this price! Shut!!!

2. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

1500.00 Cdn wow I thought I got a deal at 1800.00 Cdn.
    I can't compare my 1066 to what I owned previously as it was a Sony GX900ES prologic reciever. I will agree that the front 3 channels blend beautifully. I have PSB Stratus Silvers LF&LR with the C6 center and you are right, with the right mix the 3 front speakers are seamless.[​IMG]

3. Tim_J_M

Tim_J_M Agent

Where is it being sold fo $1500 CAN?

4. george king

george king Supporting Actor

And will they ship to the States?
    Enquiring minds want to know.[​IMG]

5. Joe

Joe Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the review.

A couple of questions for you. Did you happen to find the 3200 thin in the midrange area? I had the 2200 connected to my Paradigm 60s and just could not even stand it. I did however have a Yamaha 995 that sounded much better. (maybe the 2200 was a bad unit).

Anyhow, since I have floor/full range speakers in the front, I'm wondering if the bass mgt will be an issue. I actually did like the options on the Yamaha where it let you set the bass at either on/off/both. Does the rotel do that as well and does it work properly? I ask because I have seen a few posts where they say the bass mgt does not work as expected.

Thanks again.

6. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

That is one Hell of a deal Levesque. What color did you get? Silver and black or black? I have the 1066 and, like you, the double bass issue hasn't been a problem for me. I don't have DVDA hooked up yet, but have been just lazy in this regard as I don't have any DVDA discs yet. Glad you're enjoying it as much as I, and many other Rotel users, are.

7. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

8. Levesque

Bob, are you sure you don't mean till the end of the year?? A full year is too much for me!!

It's the first time I really like my system, after a lot of upgrades. I think Rotel deserve better credit for this pre-amp. It's an awesome product.

Joe, I'm at work now, but I will do further testing on the bass. But tonight, I will enjoy Riding with the king in DVD-Audio, while giving a bottle to my newborn... Ah, that's life...

9. RobertSchaez

RobertSchaez Stunt Coordinator

Sounds like you've put together a great setup. However, you can't expect a $1500 MSRP receiver's preamp to compare to a Rotel pure pre/pro costing more than the entire Yamaha, can you? Just a thought...
    R

10. Levesque

Sorry Robert, but the RX-V3200 cost me 500$ MORE then the Rotel when it just came out. So I think it's a fair comparison.

11. RobertSchaez

Sorry, I didn't take into consideration the exchange rate, but here (US) both units seem to MSRP at a similar price . I would still expect that a dedicated Pre/Pro combined with a decent amp is almost always going to sound better than an all-in-one receiver package's preamp with the same amp. Nothing unexpected.

12. Levesque

I'm completely agreeing with you here!! My intention was to inform those hesitating between using a pre-pro or using a good receiver pre-pro section with a good amp, a situation I was 6 months ago... We see a lot of posts telling them to go the receiver way, and that "they won't notice any difference". I had the 2nd receiver in line from the top for Yamaha (after the RX-Z1) in-house and was switching with the RSP-1066, both plug in the Rotel RMB-1095 and doing comparisons. It was just to tell those people hesitating, to be really careful when listening to posts here. I was ONLY comparing the pre-out of the RX-V3200 combine to a Rotel RMB-1095, to the RSP-1066 combine to the same RMB-1095. I did'nt even listen to the amp section of the Yammie!!

Maybe a RX-Z1 or a Pioneer 49TX would be a lot better then the RSP-1066, both use as pre-pro, I didn't compare them directly, so I can't know. But for MORE $$, the RX-V3200 pre-out section was really not up to the Rotel. So if someone is considering going separate, please invest in a real pre-pro, and not on a receiver with a amp section you will not even use.

That was my point. I made a mistake 6 months ago, but now I know...

13. RobertSchaez

Sorry Lévesque,
    I wasn't trying to flame your post. I am in a similar situation (RX-V3000) and would love to move up to seperates if my budget allowed. I think adding a 5 channel amp to a receiver is a good first step, not the end of the process. Glad to hear you are happy with the upgrade!

14. Levesque

No problem Robert! The RX-V3000 is an awesome receiver. Really like those 2 more front speakers. Bad they didn't come back with those in the 3200...
    If you are wandering (because I was wandering about this...I did start, like you, with a Yamaha receiver only) if a Yamaha receiver is a good match with a Rotel amp, I can tell you it is!![​IMG]
    Have a nice day.