Receivers/Processors with picture sync delay compensation?...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rich H, Jul 10, 2002.

1. Rich H

Rich H Second Unit

In my plasma TV set-up, I experience some sound/picture sync problems due to the plasma's picture processing, which can delay the picture somewhat. Sound can be a little ahead of the picture. I know that there are some Receivers and preamp/processors out there that allow you to dial delay into the sound output, to help match sound and picture.

Does anyone know which brands or models can do this?
    I know the new Anthem AVM20 can do it, but it's pretty expensive. I'm hoping for a receiver, but will consider separates if necessary.

Thanks for any help.

Rich.

2. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    With Denon receivers you could play around with the distance settings. In other words, if your center is 8ft. away you could try setting it at 13ft for additional delay. I'm not sure if this will be enough delay so you'll want to experiement prior to purchase.

3. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    The kind of delay necessary for a person to notice a sync problem would likely be any where from a half second to more than a second. Each increment on most processors should be 1 ms or microsecond. I believe this is 1/100 of a second, so Rich would have to be able to set his speaker delay anywhere from 50ms to say 120 or 150ms. I dont think this is possible. He will need a high end pre-amp that has an actual sound timing correction, not just speaker delay.

4. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Rich,

The Lexicon MC-1 and the DC-2 have an A/V Sync Delay feature, with up to a 60ms delay with Version 4 software (up to 30ms with Version 3 software). I believe that the Lexicon DC-1 also has this feature.

Michael

5. Nathaniel_J

Nathaniel_J Auditioning

The Yamaha RX-Z1 has an audio delay feature that can be adjusted from 0-160 milliseconds for matching the sounds to the screen.

6. Angelo_Petralba

Angelo_Petralba Second Unit

I might as well add the Sony DA5ES to the list. It has a feature called

7. Dave Vaughn

Dave Vaughn Stunt Coordinator

The Onkyo 989 has this feature.

8. David-T

David-T Extra

I know that the Yamaha RX-Z1 has this capability, which they call Audio Delay. Go to:
    http://www.yamaha.com/yec/customer/manuals/RX-Z1_E.PDF
    Once you have the RX-Z1 manual up, go to page 69, which is labeled E-65 on the document itself. It explains what the Audio Delay does. The initial setting is 0 ms, but can be adjusted to 160 ms. Hope this helps. [​IMG]

9. Rich H

Rich H Second Unit

Many thanks people.

It's true that the speaker-delay feature of most receivers is not enough to adress the problem. I appreciate the suggestions and I'll check them out. That Anthem AVM20 looks mighty tempting though...(if I can afford it).

Rich.

10. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Not for the faint of budget, but Meridian's processors contain options for lip synch.

Regards,

11. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

My Denon 5803 has the audio delay feature from 0ms to 200ms

12. Michael Langdon

Michael Langdon Stunt Coordinator

Oops! The Anthem AVM 20 has already been mentioned!

13. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Rich, I have the Anthem AVM-20 and have used this feature on it. It works flawlessly with the DTS track on Moulin Rouge which experiences this problem.

IMO, the cost of the Anthem is well worth it. I'm sure you can find one on Audiogon used from time to time for around $2300-$2500. It is well worth that price IMO.

The newest Home Theater magazine did a comparison of the Denon 5803, Pioneer 49TX and the Anthem AVM-20 combined with the PVA-7 amplifier. Two of the three panel members found the Anthem to best both those receivers in both HT and music reproduction and they mentioned it was close, but still a definitive improvement with the Anthem combo.

It's a great piece of HT gear that's ultra flexible.