What's new

Help - Older in ceiling system - how do I upgrade? (1 Viewer)

CalOkie

Auditioning
Real Name
Shannon
I am new to the group and appreciate input. I recently purchased a house with 5 speakers in the ceiling in the TV room that was rarely used. I'd like to upgrade the existing system with a new receiver but also thinking of what I should add to the 5 speakers in the ceiling.

Assuming the speakers are good - what should I do to improve the setup? Center channel? Subwoofer? Ideas appreciated!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I assume the arrangement in the room is for 5.1 (or rather 5.0 since there is no sub). The best improvement, if you want to use at least part of it, would be to get the three front speakers and only use the in-ceilings for the rear surrounds. And of course, a subwoofer.

The problem with front in-ceiling speakers is that they are so severely off-axis that the sound quality is lost. Don’t take my word for it, go to your nearest big-box store and listen to how the overhead speaker sound when you’re directly under them, vs. when you move 10 ft. away.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks