What's new

need some advice (1 Viewer)

uplateagain

Auditioning
Real Name
Daryl
Hello, newbie here. been reading the forums, and finding some very knowlegable people on here. So iam here asking for advice.
I currently have an older home surround sound setup in my basement. room size is 24'dX32"w. with 7" ceiling.
The system never really gave me the "sourround sound feel" though. no matter how i hooked the system up.
I know my speakers are cheap junk, and wondering if this is my downfall.
The list of my components are:
Technics-SA-DX1050 a/v reciever
Panasonic DVD-R32 dvd player
speakers are Fluance surround speakers. 1center,2 fronts,2 rears
Sub is Sony SA-WM40
TV is Pioneer -SD 532HD5

My question is, is it my speakers that are holding back the sound? When i watch a movie i need to turn the reciever 3/4's of the way up to get any half decent sound, and never really get a real surround sound feeling out of it. ( i have heard better cheap HTIB systems).
When i listen to the radio, or cd's I don't have to turn the volume up like i do when whatching a movie.
I have been thinking about upgrading, and wondering where to start as iam on a tight budget, and can't do all at once.
Should i start with the speakers, then go from there? Is my reciever of any quality anymore, or is it so outdated?
Same with the dvd player?
Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide me with on this matter.
Thanks,
Daryl

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The first thing to do is get a calibration disc like Digital Video Essentials or Avia and a Radio Shack (analog!) sound pressure meter. These will run about $60 total, but as long as you have a home theater, you will need them.

Calibrate the audio (and video) using these items. This is the #1 annd cheapest improvement .

Then, if you want to spend more money, get a better sub. From that point, the sky is the limit on what you want to do.

Oh yeah, you give no indication of how the whole system is laid out in the room. There are probably lots of free improvements to make there.

uplateagain

Auditioning
Real Name
Daryl
Thanks for the reply.
Where do i find one of the calibration disks? Is it something i put in the dvd player to help with the set up? I don't know much about home theater at all.
I will get one, and a meter also.
My configuration is i have a couch about 10' from the tv.(centered). the center speaker is on top of the tv, about 5' off floor. Front floor standing speakers are on each side of the tv. approx. 6' apart, the rear speakers are behind each side of the couch, about 5'behind, and off to the side and aproxx. 15' from the tv and approx 15' between them. 5' off the floor. The sub is about 3' off to one side of the tv on the floor. Hope this helps.
You mentioned i should upgrade the sub first. My sub overpowers the whole system as it is now. i have to keep it on a lower setting. So would that be my first focal point to upgrade? or should i look elswhere for more sound?
Thanks again for your help on this.
Daryl

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Your main problem right now is the system does not sound like it is calibrated properly. The DVE (Digital Video Essentials) disc and the SPL meter are the tools you need to get this done, and yes, the DVE disc goes in your DVD player. Get the DVE DVD from any online DVD retailer. It should cost about $15. It may take a bit of work to figure out everything, but the DVD will begin by explaining absolutely everything, then have test tones to calibrate both the speaker levels and the various controls on your TV. These things will give you a huge improvement. You can't judge anything until it is all set up properly.

In fact, once you do all that, you may decide you are perfectly happy with everything you have. If not, the sub may be the first place to upgrade, but I don't know because I know absolutely nothing about Fluance speakers.

Do the calibrations first, and then see what you think.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
I hear what you are saying. In homes, the effect of surrounds is very different from the theater, where you have them much further away from you and much farther behind, and much higher, making the surrounds more easily disernable . This makes it much easier to hear active surround and directionality (in the theater). I've had this problem in every home theater I have set up in 4 different locations where I have lived. In addition to all the calibration discs, several things may improve the problem, at least they have for me...first try angling the speakers so that they face the seating area, rather than just pointing straight ahead. I also found extending the delay time for the surrounds (if you can on your amp) has helped to distinguish the surround tracks. Some don't recommend it but I found it a great improvement. I also set the level a little higher than would normally be. Your room sounds like a great size for home theater. I expect with a few tweaks you can get it to sound better.

uplateagain

Auditioning
Real Name
Daryl
Thanks for the replies again.
I will go to best buy, or circuit city tomorrow, and get the dve dvd, and the meter, and go from there.
Thanks again

uplateagain

Auditioning
Real Name
Daryl
update to my problem. Well i got the digital essentials disk, but i couldn't get the meter. noone had one.
I took a night and went through the whole disk and set my system up accordingly, and it did sound much better than before. But, iam still not even close to getting a surround feel yet. All my speakers are producing the sounds they are supposed to be, when they are supposed too, but its just not very good yet. It seems underpowered.
So after watching the disk, and going through everything i come to the conclusion that its the room, and the way the system is set up in the room.
The room is large (24'X32') with concrete floors, and concrete walls covered in stone. (not very acustical) with many objects in the room also.
The tv, and speakers or set up in one of the corners of the room. So i decided its time to do some construction and build a dedicated theater room. This is where my questions come, and you guys, and gals come into play.
The problem iam in now is the only way i can divide my basement in order to make another room would mean that the theater room would only be 8' wide by 19' deep with 7' ceiling height. Is this to narrow for a theater room? My Tv is only a 53" so i would have plenty of room for that, and seating wouldn't be a problem either i don't forsee. Iam concerned about the acustical aspect though. would it sound like your in a tunnel?
When i build the room i will be framing up the walls and insulating them, then sheetrocking to overcome the concrete issue, and would be putting carpeting on the floor. I can't put a wood floor down due to the 7' ceiling height. So my main concern/question at this time is, is an 8 foot wide room to narrow for a theater room? Iam hoping not, as i have no other way to build it.
Thanks again for your help, and sorry this is so long winded.
Daryl

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Daryl, that is a tough room. I take it you mean it not only has concrete floors, but that they are exposed concrete. Concrete walls with stone veneer is also no ideal. That is a very bright, inert room. It will be difficult to get much vibration, since the floor and walls are so solid. I would post a new thread in the HT Construction area before you continue. The 8x19 room just doesn't sound good to me. It could be worse, it could be square, which would be terrible.

BTW, that SPL meter is Radio Shack, so that is where you get it. I have to admit, I have not kept up on its availability. It has gone in and out of production over the years.

uplateagain

Auditioning
Real Name
Daryl
Thanks for the reply John. Yes, all the concrete is exposed on the floor, and you are correct, the walls are veneered in stone. It is not a good room at all for home theater the way it is. Thats why i decided i needed to build a seperate room for the home theater.
I will post a new thread in the forum you mentioned about the size of the room iam limited too, and see what they say there.
About the meter, i stopped at 2 different radio shacks, and neither had one. one said they had a digital meter, but when they looked for it they couldn't find it in stock. But they said they would order one for me, so i should have it in a couple days.
Thanks for your help on this, i really appreciatte it.
Daryl

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks