What's new

help me with my ht setup!! (1 Viewer)

kuttaS

Stunt Coordinator
i am looking to get my new home theater setup for my apartment family room. i own a sony 27 inch tv and want a HT setup for about $700-800. i have narrowed down some componenets but still need help in selecting.
For Speakers, i want to get JBL NSP 1 II with PB10. i can get this for about $320. My other choice is getting Klipsch Quintets with ksw-10 which retail for about $550 or so.
Now my biggest problem is receiver and dvd. i have seen some really good integrated dvd receiver like the JVC rX51sl for about $300 and the sony ES for about $350. the jvc one includes DVD-audio and the sony one has sacd playback. i have heard that integrated units suck so i am also considering some entry level receivers with separate dvd players. the receiers i am looking at are HK 125, 225; Denon 1603, 1803. the HK has really low power rating and i am a kind of person who wants to wake my neighors in the middle of the night. i want something powerfull enuff to shake my apartment. i also listen to lots of punjabi music so i want the loudness. HK doesnt seem powerfull enuff even when ppl say that dont get fooled by the power rating. i am more prone to DEnon 1603 because it is about $270 online. please comment me on my selections and suggest what should i do. also for the dvd player, i have no idea. i want something in $150 price range and want to have atleast dvd-audio or sacd playback since the integrated units feature those. plzzz hellp me i am too confoosed.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Separate DVD players and receivers will serve you better in the long run...

If you want a good DVD player, the newly released Pioneer DV563 gives you progressive scan, and support for DVD-Audio and SACD as well...it retails for $299 Canadian.

There is an explaination of why the H/K power ratings are so low in comparison to other companies on their website...if you actually compare this receiver and its power to lower end receivers, you'll find that the H/K blows them all away, even being rated what it is...plus the sound quality is probably a whole lot better too...go to your local H/K dealer and get a demonstration, I'm sure you'll be very impressed...and if you're big into music, I'd look at getting a solid receiver and stereo speaker setup for that money...you can then expand later when funds allow...for music, the front left and right speakers are the most important...

kuttaS

Stunt Coordinator
the only HK i can afford is 125 so how it would it compare to similarly priced denon 1603 or 1803????

JamieS

Stunt Coordinator
Denon just came out with 1804. I would expect that the price of the 1803 should drop very soon. If you like loud buy a reciever with pre outs then start saving your $ for an outboard amp for the front 2 speakers for when you want to really crank it up.

kuttaS

Stunt Coordinator
i think Pioneer DV563 is just what i was looking for a good price. now i think i should i should go for a Denon 1603. what do u guys think. is 1803 or HK 125 worth the xtra money or should i just settle with 1603??

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
kuttaS,

I would go with

PIONEER VSX-912K $300
JBL NSP1 $209
JBL PB12 $212
or SONY SA-WX700 $200

That will leave you about $700 + shipping.

Separate DVD players and receivers will serve you better in the long run...
I second Drew's suggestion. I think you are better of going separate way. You will get a much better amp in a receiver without an integraded DVD player, plus you could chose a good DVD (pansonic, sony or toshiba) for around $100.

Good luck,
Pablo

Drew_W

Screenwriter
The 1803 I believe is more comparable to an H/K 225 than a 125...look at www.harmanaudio.com you might be able to find a good deal there on a refurbished 225 or even 220 (last year's model)...refurbished models have a Z in the model name.

Also in the budget-conscious speaker department, many members seem to have good things to say about Fluance speakers: www.fluance.com

AV-HTB: $199.99 + shipping
SX-HTB: $259.99 + shipping

And don't forget to set aside some money for cables/interconnects...when I built my system in December, I had no money left over ;)

kuttaS

Stunt Coordinator
actually i am getting the NSP 1 II with pb10 for about $330. and the pioneeer dvd reeiver is about $150 online (its new so i gotta wait a lil). thats about $480. so i have like $250 to get a receiver for. any suggestions in that price range. tell me if i can get some HK or Denon for for that price range or a little more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks