What's new

AV 4K Receiver for about $600-$800. Help! (1 Viewer)

Xylem Flow

Auditioning
Real Name
Shane
First, let me introduce myself. I used to frequent this forum 20 years ago when I first got into AV. I used to be really picky about what I used back then, but over the years I've ended up at a place where I just want something that works reasonably well without a lot of tweaking or hassle.

Anyway, I need a good and solid 4K receiver for my modest HT setup. I have looked at the Yamaha TSR-700, Denon AVR-S750H, and Onkyo TX-NR696 and they all seem to be good choices. But I keep reading horror stories about each one about HDMI and them not really being true 4K and stuff like that. It's wrecking my head. So I'm asking for help here.

I've also looked at Sony STR-DN1080, but no one seems to have one in stock.

My setup is: Samsung Electronics UN65MU6300 65-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV (2017 Model), 2 SVS bookshelf speakers, 1 old Mirage center speaker, 1 old SVS cylinder sub. I don't have rears yet, but I'm planning on only two of them (for now). Probably next year I'll be getting a new Samsung TV just to have the latest tech.

Thanks in advance.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What do you mean “Not really being true 4K?”

There are all sorts of 8K problems, but I’m not aware of any 4K problems.

Xylem Flow

Auditioning
Real Name
Shane
What do you mean “Not really being true 4K?”

There are all sorts of 8K problems, but I’m not aware of any 4K problems.
Y'know, I'm not really sure what they were talking about. Something HDMI 2.1 and HDR and 30Hz/60Hz. Sorry, I wasn't taking notes (should have) cause there's something seriously wrong with my back and I've been in tons of pain all day. Not really thinking all that clearly.

I'll try to find where that was and post back here.

Xylem Flow

Auditioning
Real Name
Shane
Okay, here's a bit of what I've been reading.

Onkyo TX-NR696 @ review at Amazon November 27, 2019
"while it supports 4k and HDR, what they don't tell you is that it only uses both if your display is 30hz or less. Seriously, how does this happen. Totally useless for my other electronics unless you're ok with just using 4k OR hdr."

Denon AVR-S750H
All sorts of bad reviews @ Amazon about hardware failures.

Yamaha RX-V6A/TSR-700
there was a review, which I can't find now, that dealt with "banding with HDR".

Granted, I don't know much about what they're saying.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm far from a display expert, but I don't think there's even such a thing as a 4K display that is only capable of 30Hz. I'm not aware of any 4K sources that are interlaced and therefore 60Hz. That doesn't mean none exist, just that I''ve never seen them and don't know why they would exist outside maybe a poorly upscaled, interlaced original. No doubt someone will jump in to correct me. There's an astounding amount of ignorance regarding the difference between scan rate and frame rate. It's not helped by the fact that they often seem to be used interchangeably. Plasma displays were 30p or 60i to the best of my knowledge, but were usually 600Hz scan rate.

Anyway, It's been one of those days.

There do seem to be a lot of hdmi board problems these days. Dying far too soon. I suspect that so damn much is being shoved into low price receivers that inevitable problems are arising. You might just need to spend more. Maybe take the Denon 1600 as the base model to consider.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I am not aware Denon was having any HDMI issues. The only one I was hearing had issues who most likely may have corrected them already was Onkyo. They where having HDMI board issues if I am not mistaken. I would buy the best receiver you can get even if you have to save up a little longer for it. What are your goals? What features are you looking for and just make sure the receiver has enough power so it is not underpowering your speakers and being driven into clipping /distortion. Most people can not justify buying a receiver only to turn around a year or more and replace it. So that is why I would write down on a sheet of paper everything you need / want in a receiver. Make sure you have room for growth.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Yamaha RX-V6A/TSR-700
there was a review, which I can't find now, that dealt with "banding with HDR".
That was an issue last year when the unit was new. Yamaha has since issued a firmware that fixed this.

The issue with Yamaha and Denon/Marantz HDMI 2.1 receivers is they have a faulty chip in them that cannot pass certain 4k/120Hz signals. Right now this affects people who game on the XBox One. Yamaha hasn't even issued a firmware yet to support the HDMI 2.1 features.

Denon/Marantz issued a separate box to those customers who requested it. Yamaha will have an exchange program later in the year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks