What's new

HDMI CEC set-up (1 Viewer)

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Hello everyone been a while since I have been on HTF actively posting but I think this is still the right place to post this. Basically I recently got myself a Yamaha RX-V481 open-box at HH Gregg's demise to upgrade from my old RX-V465, so far I love my purchase but I am struggling to make HDMI CEC work the way I want to on it.

Connected to my AVR I have a Samsung Smart TV connected via the ARC out on receiver and ARC in on TV (not sure the model but it does have Anynet), a Panny BDT330, Roku Series 3 (Cut the cord a while back), and PS4. Ideally what I would like to do is have it set up so that I hit the TV button on my Yammy remote and it turns on the tv, receiver, and brings me right to the Roku screen (since that device is always on). Similarly I would like the same thing with my BDT330 by hitting the BD/DVD button on my Yammy remote, not sure yet what I want out of the PS4. Unfortunately, all methods of experimentation the last few days appear to not do what I want and result in either receiver remote not controlling the tv or not leading to my described wishes. I'm at a loss and studied my manuals multiple times and I think the dog is learning whole new words of profanity from me this weekend :lol:

Would someone please walk me through this? Is what I want even possible? thanks everyone.

-Keith-

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
CEC can be a struggle to setup. Can I suggest an alternate solution -- a Logitech Harmony 650 universal remote? You can get one new for $50, or refurbished for $40, on Amazon. It will completely control all your devices, is quite easy to setup, and you do not have to live with the limitations of CEC and using a remote from a component which may not have all the buttons necessary to control everything on your other components.

I own two of these. The one in our main home theater room completely controls a Vizio 4K display, Denon X3300 receiver, Sony UHD player, Panasonic BD player, Oppo DVD player, Roku Ultra 4K streaming box, and Xfinity cable TV box. All the remotes that came with these components are safely stored away with no batteries installed, because I almost never need to use them once I setup the component with the Harmony remote.

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
You're welcome, Keith. I think once you move to a universal remote solution, you'll never go back to your old way of controlling your home theater. I have been using universal remotes for at least 20 years, as I cannot abide the "coffee table full of remotes". The Harmony 650 is one of the best, and most affordable, universal remotes I have used.

The Harmony is setup via your PC, and uses a concept called "activities" to control your devices. For example, I have a "Watch TV" activity which turns on my AVR (if it's not already on), makes sure it's set to the proper input, turns on the cable box, turns on the TV (if it's not already on), and makes sure the TV is set to the proper input. I have similar activities called Watch UHD, Watch BD, Watch DVD, Watch Roku, Chromecast (for my TV's built-in apps), etc.

The Harmony keeps track of which devices are powered on and which inputs they are set to, so it only sends a power on command when necessary. The remote has fixed buttons for the most common remote buttons, plus a screen with four "soft buttons" per screen for unique commands. I have setup each of my activities in a similar way so each has the same "look and feel". For example, the top left soft button on screen 1 is configured to open/close the tray on each of the activities controlling my UHD player, BD player, and DVD player.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I got a Vizio Soundbar and have been having intermittent connection problems between it and the Sharp TV, from the soundbar not powering on regardless of whether it's the remote, the smartphone app, or the power button on the soundbar itself, or simply having to re-select the soundbar input to get sound. I believe the power up problems are due to CEC (or rather CE[lack of]C and fortunately the TV has separate controls for just CEC while leaving the ARC audio output alone. I still have my old Channel Master learning remote, but have been eyeing the Harmony 650 for some time. Since it's down to $40 new, I will finally go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks