No video or sound signal

gk3458

Auditioning
Real Name
Gary Kudla
I have DishTV Joey, Sony XBR900e, and a Denon AVR-X1400H, using a 5.1 layout.

Have tried running the HDMI cable from the Joey, to the Cable/Sat HDMI input on the AVR, then using the ARC
output to the ARC input on the TV set. Have made sure that all the settings on the TV and receiver,
are set for ARC (BraviaSync for Sony) and/or CEC.

I have done some reading, and here is what I have read. When it it comes to 4K, make sure the maximum resolution is set to
4K/60g on the Denon. Do nut use the Cable/Sat input for the connection between the satellite receiver and the AVR. Instead use
the input closest to the ARC outout, something to do with the AVR board design. Don't use HDMI by itself, use with TOSLINK cable.
One article I read, advised, turning the CEC on the TV to "Off". I've tried all to no avail.

I am reaching out in the hopes that someone has a somewhat similar set-up, and can suggest some additional approaches.
I understand ARC is a little wonky, but it does work for many, if not most.

More so, are there some additional settings on the Denon. that i should consider? I've gone through their HDMI troubleshooting
flowchart, and it is very possible I've missed some leg og the flowchart.

Thank you very much.

xx Brian xx

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
You don't need ARC if you hook it up the way you describe in the second paragraph.

Connect the Joey to Cable/Sat input and the TV to the Monitor Out. Make sure you are using high speed HDMI cables.

Check TV to make sure you are on the right HDMI input and make sure the Denon is on the Cable/Sat input. At this point you should have a picture and audio from the receiver.

You should have setting similar to this.

Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 8.52.02 PM.png

Brian

xx Brian xx

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
By the way, it's easier to set up receivers by logging into them with a laptop. Type the IP address of the receiver into the address bar and it should go right into the setup screen.
Then you can watch the TV and make changes on the laptop while seeing it change.

Brian

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have to wonder about the manuals for a lot of equipment lately. Part of it is stuff has gotten so complicated and a lot of it is completely misunderstood. ARC and CEC most of all. Still, the manuals seem to cause more problems than they solve.

Regarding the current problem, one basic thing is that you have to configure the receiver to use the chosen hdmi input for that source.

I have no idea why it would indicate you need to use toslink. You don't.

Reactions: Todd Erwin

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
By the way, it's easier to set up receivers by logging into them with a laptop. Type the IP address of the receiver into the address bar and it should go right into the setup screen.
Then you can watch the TV and make changes on the laptop while seeing it change.

Brian
I've never done that, so I gave it a try with my Marantz AV7703. It said access wasn't allowed. That unit is on ethernet, so I don't know if that makes a difference. I'll try it with my SR7012, which is on WiFi.

gk3458

Auditioning
Real Name
Gary Kudla
Thank you all for your replies. I subscribe to Netflix too. Many of the movies indicate 5.1 sound. If I don't
use ARC, how do i get 5.1 from a Netflix movie?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Thank you all for your replies. I subscribe to Netflix too. Many of the movies indicate 5.1 sound. If I don't
use ARC, how do i get 5.1 from a Netflix movie?
Well, you need to specify all your equipment. If you are using an app in your TV for NetFlix, then yes, you need to use either ARC or the optical output from the TV. Optical should also supply 5.1, but not Atmos. If you use an external streaming device, then you connect it to the receiver and again don't need ARC.

xx Brian xx

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
I've never done that, so I gave it a try with my Marantz AV7703. It said access wasn't allowed. That unit is on ethernet, so I don't know if that makes a difference. I'll try it with my SR7012, which is on WiFi.
Was it the receiver restricting access or the web browser? It seems that some web browsers will try to restrict access. There should not be any password for the receiver.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Was it the receiver restricting access or the web browser? It seems that some web browsers will try to restrict access. There should not be any password for the receiver.
It appeared to be the receiver (preamp, actually) at least as far as I could tell. This was using an iPad and Safari, but I'll try the computer and different browsers. I think I have Firefox installed on my iPad.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbob7777