What's new

How Can I Listen to Music During the Game??? (1 Viewer)

Johnny Yak

Auditioning
Real Name
John
I have a Denon X3800H with my TCL Roku TV connected via ARC/CEC.

I wanted to play some music while I watched football over the weekend, but I couldn't get it to work. I tried to change the audio selection without touching the TV, but the ARC feed changed the audio to the football game. I disabled CEC and tried again, but same results.

I googled and saw some people discussing doing this kind of thing, but there weren't any specific directions.

Does anyone do this? How do they make it work? Do I need to ditch ARC? (don't really want to because of girlfriend and kids needing training)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You turned off CEC in both the TV and receiver? I’d expect that to solve it.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
This sounds like normal behavior to me. I wouldn't expect to be able to separate the audio and video signals using ARC as the switching for both is being done via the TV.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
If you are running your video through the Denon AVR, it may be tricky (or not possible). Personally, instead of fighting with my HT system (I have a Denon X3300W) , I will just pop in my wireless ear buds and listen to music from my Android phone when I want to do this. I have all my music stored on my phone.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A critical bit of info is missing. How do you receive TV? I realize I was expecting OTA with the TV’s tuner or an app in the TV, which should work. Any other method, probably not. We just haven’t been provided with the details necessary for an answer. However, current Anthem receivers are capable of doing this in all situations, but they are the exception. It was the use of ARC that made me assume TV was OTA or an app, because using ARC otherwise makes no sense..

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
OK, I moved to the computer instead of typing on an iPad. If the video originates within the TV, aka with Roku, then I'm sorry, my HTF buddies are wrong. The TV should be able to display something that originates within it (aka Roku) while the receiver plays audio from whatever source you tell it to. We just need to know where you TV programming is coming from.

One thing, if your TV has a optical audio output, I suggest using that instead, and just forgetting about ARC, which causes more problems than it solves. If CEC is off on both components, it really should work on video sources that originate within the TV.

Going back to Anthem receivers, current models have the capability to create a multitude of virtual inputs combining any combination of audio and video sources. As far as I know, that's unique to them, but their stuff doesn't come cheap. This is actually one of the reasons I plan to get an Anthem preamp in the net few months.

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Re-reading the original post I now agree with @JohnRice. This sounds like some sort of HDMI CEC issue. It should be noted, however, that I am the only one who is technically "wrong," as @Scott Merryfield never made a definitive statement.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
OK, I moved to the computer instead of typing on an iPad. If the video originates within the TV, aka with Roku, then I'm sorry, my HTF buddies are wrong. The TV should be able to display something that originates within it (aka Roku) while the receiver plays audio from whatever source you tell it to. We just need to know where you TV programming is coming from.

One thing, if your TV has a optical audio output, I suggest using that instead, and just forgetting about ARC, which causes more problems than it solves. If CEC is off on both components, it really should work on video sources that originate within the TV.

Going back to Anthem receivers, current models have the capability to create a multitude of virtual inputs combining any combination of audio and video sources. As far as I know, that's unique to them, but their stuff doesn't come cheap. This is actually one of the reasons I plan to get an Anthem preamp in the net few months.
I had to check the manual for my Denon X3300W, as I have never tried this. The manual states:

This unit can display video from a different source on TV during audio
playback. You can set this for each input source.
Supported input sources :
iPod/USB / CD* / Tuner / Online Music /
Bluetooth

This cannot be set when any of the HDMI, component video or video
connectors are assigned.

1 Press OPTION during audio playback.
The option menu screen is displayed.
2 Use "up/down" arrows to select “Video Select”, then press ENTER.
3 Use "left / right" arrows to select the Video Select mode.
Off (Default): Disable Video Select mode.
On: Enable Video Select mode.
4 If you selected “On” in step 3, press "down" arrow and select
“Source”.
5 Use "left / right" arrows to select the input source for video you want
to play back, then press ENTER.

* “Video Select” settings are stored for each input source.

I am not sure if the above works the same way on the X3800H. I found this in the back of my manual under the heading
Displaying your desired video during audio playback (Video Select). Check your manual for something similar
including which inputs this feature may be limited to for your particular model.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I had to check the manual for my Denon X3300W, as I have never tried this. The manual states:

I am not sure if the above works the same way on the X3800H. I found this in the back of my manual under the heading
Displaying your desired video during audio playback (Video Select). Check your manual for something similar
including which inputs this feature may be limited to for your particular model.
Scott, you're making it more complicated than it needs to be.

IF the TV is playing something that originates in it (OTA tuner, apps) then the receiver can play whatever audio you want, because it isn't routing the video being watched. Something that would prevent this would have to be CEC or possibly ARC.

Of course, if the OP is using an external cable tuner, then all bets are off.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
As I also suggested in someone else's similar, recent thread, IF you use a decent universal remote, maybe just program it to have command sequences that can temporarily disable (and then reenable) ARC (and probably also CEC) that's probably forcing the AVR to play the TV's audio -- maybe you could just have the power on command sequence always reenable ARC as well to help simplify things.

Presumably, there's some way to disable ARC w/out physically changing HDMI connections?

_Man_

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Scott, you're making it more complicated than it needs to be.
I gave this some more thought, and you are correct John. What was tripping me up was with my Denon setup whenever I switch sources, both the video and audio always switch to the new source component. What I failed to take into account, though, was that I am using a Harmony remote that switches everything when I change sources (via its activity-based programming). Since my display does not include a built-in OTA tuner in the display (my Vizio M Series 4K display doesn't have one), and I almost never use the display's built-in streaming apps (use Roku and Apple 4K boxes instead), I just didn't give it enough thought.

It really boils down, as you said, to how the OP poster is watching TV. If it's native to the display -- built-in tuner or streaming app -- it should work if CEC & ARC are off. If TV is provided by an external source -- cable box or streaming device -- then the section I posted from my X3300W would be the only possible solution.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This is just something I'm dealing with now. I have used OTA for TV for 20 years, so I could easily listen to whatever I want when watching sports. But, I recently tried out streaming live TV with Hulu, and came to the ugly realization that I simply can't do that anymore. I'm looking to get a new surround preamp anyway, and the Anthems have the ability to create "virtual" inputs that allow any combination of audio and video inputs.

However, for some reason, it only just occurred to me that my TVs all can probably have the Hulu app, so I could use that instead of the ATV 4K on the occasions I want to watch football and listen to music.

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
I'll reference my AVR-S960H since it should be close to what you're using. If the music source has it's own video input, then it's a no go, can't happen. However if it's CD player or turntable that doesn't have a dedicated video input, you hit the option button on the remote and it should give you a choice of video sources. Choose your football game video source, and you should be golden.

BTW, I'm using ARC and it works fine. ARC never really worked that well with other receivers so I'm using it to see how good it will be on the AVR-S960H and so far, it has worked pretty good. Not sure if I'll keep it on but it's nice because I can get DD+ from my Android TV to the Denon using eARC.

Last edited:

Johnny Yak

Auditioning
Real Name
John

I will try this over the weekend. Thank you so much for the detailed suggestion!

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
I'll reference my AVR-S960H since it should be close to what you're using. If the music source has it's own video input, then it's a no go, can't happen. However if it's CD player or turntable that doesn't have a dedicated video input, you hit the option button on the remote and it should give you a choice of video sources. Choose your football game video source, and you should be golden.

BTW, I'm using ARC and it works fine. ARC never really worked that well with other receivers so I'm using it to see how good it will be on the AVR-S960H and so far, it has worked pretty good. Not sure if I'll keep it on but it's nice because I can get DD+ from my Android TV to the Denon using eARC.
Just as I said, it's on page 122 of the AVR-X3800H manual.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks