What's new

Grindhouse DVD's (1 Viewer)

Rolando

Screenwriter
ok, thanks for the info guys. disspointing that I cannot "recreate" the exact theatre experience at home. But to try to make it as close as possible, can someone tell me which one played first? and does someone know of a place that might have the missing trailers online like youtube or something?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Planet Terror was first and then Death Proof. And the Machete trailer played before Planet Terror as it's shown on the DVD.

EDIT: Counting the trailers, the order is Machete trailer, Planet Terror, Werewolf Women Of The S.S. trailer, Don't trailer, Thanksgiving trailer and Death Proof.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I don't think it tanked, it was # 1 for 3 weeks straight. The only thing I could see that made it not do so well (as you all seem it bombed) was that it ran 191 mins. Most theater goers can't sit still for 3 hours and watch a movie, their ADD/ADHD kicks in about 2 hours top, so thats the only reason why you all seem that it bombed. Back in the 60's and 70's movies ran about 3hours long, so I was happy to see a movie run more than 90 min.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I hate to belabor this any more but it opened at #4 and dropped to #10 the next weekend.

While running three hours didn't help the grosses, I think the main reason that it was a financial failure was that most people didn't want to see it. That being said, I'm not the Weinstein brothers so I don't care how much it made or lost because I loved it and saw it in the theater three times.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Entertainment Weekly March or April, I'm not sure which one has like they always do with the box office chart report and it had Grindhouse at #1.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Maybe they were wrong, but still Grindhouse was in the top 10, thats really good for any movie, especially a film like Grindhouse is.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

What 1960s and 1970s were THOSE? SOME movies ran three hours long, but very few - it was rare then and it's rare now. You seem to think the average movie was 3 hours back then, but that's way, way, way off-base.

You have some really... UNUSUAL opinions about movies...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

What 1960s and 1970s were THOSE? SOME movies ran three hours long, but very few - it was rare then and it's rare now. You seem to think the average movie was 3 hours back then, but that's way, way, way off-base.

You have some really... UNUSUAL opinions about movies...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

No, making the top 10 isn't that big a deal - especially for a much-hyped film made by TWO major directors. Grindhouse should've been #1 its first week. Just making the top 10 - particularly at a slow time of the year like April - is meaningless.

I don't know why you seem so unwilling to accept that the movie was a financial flop... :confused:

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World ran 192 min., Grindhouse runs one minute short of Mad World. Some movies today are ok at 90 something mins, but I prefer sometimes to watch a comedy or action that runs 2 or 3 hours.

MTRodaba2468

Agent
Real Name
Matt Rodabaugh

No one's disagreeing with you that Grindhouse was a good movie. But the fact is, based on financial performance, if flopped. Others have already reiterated why that is the case.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Okay - what's your point? :confused:

And movies are no shorter today than they ever were. In fact, the average movie is probably LONGER these days than in the past. I have no idea what point you're trying to make here...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
[WAY OFF TOPIC]Unfortunate but true. In the last decade or so, movies have gotten really bloated and are running way too long. Sometimes less is more. A two hour comedy is now the norm (Did Wedding Crashers or American Pie 3 need two hours to tell their tale?). A two and a half hour action movie is the norm and even a 2 hour and 45 minute action movie isn't uncommon anymore. Of course, plenty of movies work fine at a longer running time but some are ruined because movie makers have been allowed to keep thirty minutes of fat in the movie.[/WAY OFF TOPIC]

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Movies today are shorter than the way were back in 60's and 70's. The average film today runs 87 mins to 94 mins.

Anyways this topic is about why are both films separated on DVD? and will the movie be released on DVD as it was shown in theaters?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks