What's new

Grindhouse DVD's (1 Viewer)

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc

To be quite honest, I never saw any tv-spots either as I watch very little tv, if any. I'm sure there were a ton of commercials, but for people who hate tv (and there are a lot of us out there), all those commercials mean nothing. Of course I knew of the film and when it was coming out so that wasn't an issue.

I do find Weinstein's marketing to be very bad in the billboard-ad department, however. Los Angeles is covered with billboards, bus-stops, and other visible outside print advertisng - tons of upcoming movies are advertised this way. I think I saw maybe two buses drive by with the GRINDHOUSE poster on the side strip at the time. That was it. Two buses zipping by before you can even get a good look. No billboards - nothing. Just last week, THE MIST opened, but I saw absolutely no billboards/bus-stops with that on it at all. Every other major studio seems to saturate the city with such billboards for their new movies, but Weinstein just skips that option for the most part. I think it's a big marketing mistake as seeing those big ads every day as you're driving around does cause a lot of awareness for a new film. If I wasn't on-line, those billboards would pretty much be my only exposure to what new films are coming out every week.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
If it wasn't for a friend showing me the trailer online, and reading what EW wrote about it, I would of never known about this movie.

I watch lots of TV, but I rarely TV spots of movies.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I watch virtually no TV - too busy with DVDs - but I knew about the movie. Again, it surprises me that a movie buff would never have heard of the flick until after the fact - just missing TV ads doesn't cover it...

AlexBC

Second Unit

What a waste Death Proof was. Planet Terror on the other hand absolutely rocked, can barely wait for the BD.

AlexBC

Second Unit

Well, Weinstein is more like a no show for over 6 months now. The talks are they are going BD as well.

Anyway, the company that distributes Planet Terror here in Brazil is a BD exclusive. So, eventually we'll be getting a BD version.

In other territories, it's distributed by Buena Vista under the Dimension Label. So, it will also come out eventually.

For exemple, Scary Movie 4 is also distributed by Buena vista under the Dimension Label almost everywhere in the world outside the US. That's why it's already available in Europe, Japan and Australia on BD. It will soon be out here in Brazil as well.

Darkrock,

Blu-ray discs are very affordable compared to DVDs. You can get them easily around 20 dolars and with the great deals poping almost every week, like buy one get one free, you can get discs by less than 10 bucks.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Since the Weinsteins are in that exclusive rental deal with Blockbuster and Blockbuster is Blu-Ray exclusive, won't that eventually force the Weinsteins to go Blu? That, or they'll wait until their agreement w/Blockbuster expires before they start releasing anything in HiDef.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah but it's going to take yearS for one format to kill off the other. Like AlexBC said, the lack of HD DVDs doesn't exactly show their allegiance to that format but I still think it's going to be a long until Grindhouse comes out in HD. I'd love to be wrong though. :)

troy evans

Screenwriter
This depends. On older releases you can get some good deals. However, I picked up the Grindhouse films on thier respective release dates for $14.99 each. The average new release Bluray/HD DVD titles come out at retail stores for around $24.99 to $29.99 and up depending on which stores you go to. If you wait till Bluray/HD DVDs become affordable at around $14.99 the exact same titles on sd dvd will be between $5.00 to $10.00. So, in the long run, for now, sd dvds will continue to be less expensive than thier Hi-Def counter parts. I didn't get into HDM because of affordability, I jumped in because of the quality differences in PQ and AQ. To me, that's worth the extra expense.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian

Grindhouse in HD? Something seems, I dunno, just wrong with that. Grindhouse was, after all, a movie deliberately designed to look as lousy as possible. HD will have 6x the clarity of the missing reels and print damage you'd see on standard DVD!!! :laugh:

troy evans

Screenwriter
We had a whole thread that was about just that. I thought Grindhouse didn't need an HD transfer. There are a great many that do. To each, his own, I guess.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Grindhouse was designed to "look lousy" by having a lot of print damage, not by having low resolution. I hope to see it released in HD.

RoyM

Stunt Coordinator

Well, as someone posted above, to each his own and I wouldn't deny you the right to get it in HD. But an HD presentation does in fact seem to me to defeat the purpose of giving a "mock grindhouse" look to the film. You would have never seen any 1970's era exploitation film in a real grindhouse theater of the time that didn't look like it was blown up from a second generation 16 mm dupe, let alone in anything like high definition. Hence, rendering these films in HD will only diminish the low-budget exploitation flavor of the viewing experience (as ersatz as it may be) even with the faux scratches and film damage retained (and ironically enough, "enhanced").

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to videotape the DVD as it plays on my TV so it looks even worse. :)

When the movie played in theaters, it was on film prints which had a greater resolution than HD so I can't fathom people trying to say that it should look 'bad'. The goal should be to look like the theater and the higher resolution given by HD will come closer to that than SD.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Death Proof = 6x more tedious in glorious high definition! Listen as 7.1 channels of the most godawful, banal dialogue ever written surrounds you in all its mind-numbing, pop culture-spewing splendor! Experience Tarantino's foot fetish in the amazing clarity of 1080p! Women's feet never looked so bare! :laugh:

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
I just picked up both releases but I missed them in the theatres. I want to watch them in the correct order, which movie was shown first in the theatres?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks