What's new

Grindhouse DVD's (2 Viewers)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Where did you get those stats? I don't think I've seen a movie from 2007 that's between 87 and 94 minutes (not that there aren't any- I just haven't seen them) but it definitely isn't the average running time.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

You're just making up stats as this thread progresses, aren't you? It's clear you really have no clue what you're talking about... :rolleyes

No, the average film isn't between 87-94 minutes. I have no clue why you believe that. Honestly, I'm starting to think you're just a really specific troll...

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian

The sad irony of it all is that, for $67,000,000, REAL grindhouse filmmakers could have pumped out 20-30 genuine grindhouse movies and if any of them grossed $25,037,897, that would have seemed positively glorious.:crazy:

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
But since the grindhouses have long since been replaced by direct-to-video, such an exercise would be purely academic. ;)

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
The thread I posted has nothing to do with run times or how much money it made. I doubt you people don't even remember what the questions where.

Colton

Supporting Actor
Let's bring this back on topic ...

Rumor has it that a GRINDHOUSE boxset is scheduled for 1st quarter of 2008 that includes everything you saw in the theater *PLUS* the faux trailer "Hobo with a Shotgun". No official release date has been announced.

On the record, GRINDHOUSE was a fun movie to watch in the theaters. Loved PLANET TERROR ... hated DEATH PROOF. The faux trailers in the middle were a laugh riot! I loved the whole look of the scratchy film and missing reels. Too bad it wasn't a hit. Maybe if it came out in the 80s it would have had a chance.

- Colton

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Didn't Grindhouse Movies stop being made in the 1980's?

Hobo With A Shotgun? was that a trailer or an up coming movie?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I saw that trailer when it played here. It came off as more authentic then the ones done by the pros. Would be a good show.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

If I may, I think the reason that - well, at least I didnt see it - was that I never heard about the damn thing. I love schlock, sleeze, B-grade drive in material of all sorts, but even for me, someone reasonably up on these things it was like 3 weeks after it had come out when my friend mentioned "Hey - did you see Gindhouse yet?"

"Huh? Whats that?"

Of course by the time I got around to trying to see it on the weekend, it had already sunk benieth the waves of cinematic oblivion.

Of course in the long run, it was a good thing. I got around to watching the film(s) on DVD and I thought that the damn thing was craptacular. Tarentino may emulate the schlock/blacksploitation/kung-fu genre dead on, but the man doesnt know how to edit a film. That thing could have been *EASILY* half an hour shorter than it was. And Planet Terror was trying too hard, too "look! Wink Wink! We're being schlocky! Arent we COOL!" to actually be good.

No thanks - if I want real explotation, I'll go put on Shaft or They Call Her One-Eye or something.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I think the difference is, Death Proof was pretty much a perfect homage too grindhouse pictures, Planet Terror I didn't see as a "wink wink, we're being shlocky", but more a case of "see that cool poster? We're actually going to deliver that", as opposed to most exploitation that has a clever title and poster, and completely fail to deliver anything that is promised.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink

It was something like half an hour shorter in the theatrical release of Grindhouse.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Well, they had a major ad campaign for the movie. I was inundated with TV ads and internet ads/stories/interviews for weeks leading up to the release. It wasn't Spider-Man 3's ad campaign but it was well advertised.

AaronMan

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
Grindhouses and the films they showed were by nature not mainstream, so trying to recreate that experience and educating the mass public was going to be difficult.

I saw it at the drive-in and loved the whole thing.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Definitely. I honestly am not sure how a movie fan - especially one who apparently haunts places like this - didn't hear about it... :confused:

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I never saw any TV spots for Grindhouse, just what I read online and the write up the they did in Entertainment Weekly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks