What's new

Grindhouse DVD's (2 Viewers)

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Why did theThe Weinstein Company/Dimension slipt up Grindhouse? Will we ever see the film in it's entiarity as one film not two?

EDIT: I posted this almost a month ago and I just noticed that I wrote Will The Weinstein Company/Dimension slipt up Grindhouse?, instead of Why Did The Weinstein Company/Dimension slipt up Grindhouse? Sometimes when I type I'm typing so fast I think I typed what I wanted, when I didn't.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Chinese whispers courtesy of Mr. Edgar Wright have suggested a theatrical version release might be in the cards at a later date.

Otherwise you lose.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Also, Eli Roth said on his My Space that "As far as the 'Thanksgiving' trailer, I am sure it will come out at some point, but right now I don't know what the plans are with regards to releasing the films as a double feature. I'm not in the loop on any of that stuff."

KeithHob

Auditioning
This may be old news but on the 10 minute film school extra from Planet Terror, Robert Rodriguez states that there will be a 10 minute cooking school featurette as an extra on the Grindhouse 2 disc special edition. So it sounds like it's coming, but who knows when.

Bonedwarf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve
The Edgar Wright comment was when he was doing promotion for the Hot Fuzz DVD. He said the DIRECTORS CUT of his trailer (complete with appearance of the mighty Simon Pegg which was cut from the theatrical release) was going to be on the Grindhouse DVD.

Very excited that it looks like we're getting a proper release. I've deliberately not bought PT and DP. (I do NOT double dip, because if you do, you are part of the problem.)

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
I see no point in releasing them together as a double feature later. The extra trailers will not make me double dip.

We have both flicks -- extended -- with some extras.

How could they sweeten the pot for a double dip?

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
The theatrical cuts of the movies would do it for me.

As far as I'm concerned, there is no problem. If a movie I like is available on DVD for a price I find reasonable, I'll buy it. If a later version is released, I'll evaluate whether or not to purchase it based on what it has to offer over the previous release and on price. But if the older DVD was worth the price I paid originally, then a new DVD release doesn't magically change that.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Why doesn't Dimension's release the DVD on a 3 Disc Set and included both theatrical and extended and uncut versions, so that everyone wins?

Disc 1 191 Theatrical Version
Audio Commentaries

Disc 2 Uncut and Extended Versions
Side 1 Planet Terror w/Commentaries
Side 2 Death Proof w/Commentaries

Disc 3 Special Features

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
not really a double dip. Two single movies released over seas get released here, then a film called "grindhouse" replicating 70's sleaze cinema comes out sometime.

I can't help but think that if GRINDHOUSE came out here first, people would be wondering if we would ever get the Cannes cut of death proof, similar to all the complaining of no Japanese cut of "Kill Bill" being released (as of yet) in R1.

Rolando

Screenwriter
So is there presently a way to replicate the Grindhouse theatre experience?

I mean if I get both DVDs, do I get to see all that was in the theatres? I heard there were fake trailers between the 2 movies. Are they on as an extra on either DVD?

I sure hope so...

Jon Baker

Second Unit

The only trailer included in these is Machete which appears at the beginning of Planet Terror. I'm also hearing that a full-length film of this is actually going to be made. IMDB already has a listing on their website for 2008.

Bonedwarf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve
I wonder if the IMDB info on Machete is accurate? Since there WAS talk of making it a direct-to-dvd release, but that was before "Grindhouse" absolutely tanked. I've not read anything since. (I hope they don't. Having to imagine the movie is infinitely more entertaining.)

Still waiting for "Grindhouse" to be released intact. I hope it happens. It would be a real shame to see such a unique film experiment disappear and receive no home release.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
The movie made so much money, that I'd say by February or March of next year that there should be a 3 Disc Collector's Edition, thats what I would like to see at least.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, that's a running total and not what it made each week. In other words, it lost nearly $28 million and that's just the budget and doesn't include the astronomical cost of prints and a major promotional campaign. However, I'm sure the Weinsteins have started to make some of that dough back from the DVD releases.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

LOL! My dear sir, you obviously have no idea how to read the imdb report; as TravisR notes, you're not reading a running total. Perhaps you should stick with boxofficemojo.com which keeps it simple: budget (pre-advertising and printing) $67,000,000; final domestic tally $25,037,897 (and looking at the seperate international releases of DEATH PROOF and PLANET TERROR, the overseas gross appears to be a pittance). I adore GRINDHOUSE, but the fact is, it flopped and it flopped hard. DVD sales and rentals might help it break even, but it's never gonna be a money-maker of any note.

Matthew H

Second Unit
It's a real shame it wasn't popular. I saw it the very last day of its theatrical run and I had a total ball. What a fun movie to see.

Surprisingly enough, there was an elderly couple in there as well! They walked out halfway throguh Planet Terror, though. Guess they couldn't take all of the sexual innuendo and zombie sleaze we all take for granted. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks