What's new

Grindhouse DVD's (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
For those with Comcast and Starz HD, Grindhouse (the theatrical versions of the movies WITH all the trailers, etc.) is now on On Demand. For some reason, it's only available in HD and not SD. Yes, it's in its theatrical aspect ratio.

According to Starz's schedule, it's also going to be on Starz one time this month on March 31 at 12:45 AM.

Jack Johnson

Second Unit

Further airings of the theatrical Grindhouse are likely after the 31st, though they have done one-time event programming before. So, best to remember to record, just in case...

Thanks for the heads-up. Starz is offering the whole Grindhouse experience, as they're also running the extended cuts of each film individually with a TVMA rating.

By the way, regarding how Death Proof is likely to look in the 4 by 3 ratio, did Tarantino shoot it with the Super35 process...or--as the IMDB suggests--did he go with Panavision (I've heard different people claim one or the other)? Just wondered how bad the cropping's going to be.

--Jack

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
As with Kill Bill QT shot Death Proof in 3-Perf Super 35 so it will be compromised to a greater degree than normal Super 35 when converted to full frame.

Which brings up the question, does ANYBODY still shoot 4-perf now that we're well into the DI era.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Death Proof is 3-perf Super 35, so a 1.33:1 presentation is going to chop some off the sides, but add a li'l bit to the top and bottom.

EDIT: Dang, Lord Dalek beat me to it, but the answer to his question is: only if they're shooting anamorphic, as Chris Nolan did with Batman Begins and (I believe) The Dark Knight.

Jack Johnson

Second Unit
The 3-perf/4-perf distinction probably explains the different degrees of side-cropping I've seen when some of these Super35 prints are prepped for 4 by 3 broadcast. Guess I'll have to read up on this. Thanks for your input.

Jack Johnson

Second Unit
Interesting: As it turns out, Starz is running the widescreen version of Death Proof on their standard def feed...while Planet Terror was shown cropped (same "opened-up" image height from the dvd, mild cropping on the sides). Maybe this was the only version Tarantino made available to them?

This suggests that when they run the theatrical cut of Grindhouse at the end of the month it will also be wide, for both features; in order to support the composition of Death Proof, Planet Terror will be matted as well (probably). But time will tell. Keep you posted.

--Jack

Ted Kontos

Stunt Coordinator
In the Starz theatrical cut of Grindhouse, both films are 2:35. It's been playing on their HD On Demand service all month.

Jack Johnson

Second Unit

Interesting, I just discovered that Starz is actually running the extended cut of Death Proof at 1.85:1 (they transitioned to that after the intro), so it looks like they did open that matte up just a bit. When I get a chance, I'll take a look at some caps from the TV broadcast in comparison with the 2.35:1 transfer on the dvd.

It'll be interesting to see if they try the theatrical cut at this ratio, since we know Planet Terror will also play well at 1.85:1; maybe they'll run the whole thing that way (in SD). Time will tell.

--Jack

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Here in Canada, the Movie Network is airing the "Grindhouse Double Bill". Both movies, faux trailers and all. I recorded it on my PVR and merely skimmed through it but it's all there. It's even OAR. I plan on having a few friends over next weekend to watch. Should be a lot of fun. Unfortunately, it's not available on their HD channels yet but at least now I'll be able to watch it as it was presented in theaters. Can't wait.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Super35 3 perf scope - can you get less amount of negative to fill the screen? with the amount of budget they blew making Deathproof, they scrimped on the film stock.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
If someone would be kind and is able; could you record me a dvd of Grindhouse off Ondemand? Im a huge fan but dont have dvr or cable for that matter. Would be willing to compensate of course. PM me please.

Thanks

PS (Mods): If my request is against forum rules please delete my post and accept my apologies. Thanks

Jack Johnson

Second Unit
In looking over a few stills of the 1.85:1 version of Death Proof recorded off Starz, some shots look to represent nearly the entire width of the frame of the original aspect with substantial opening of the vertical mattes, whereas others show what looks to be more typical of many 4 by 3 transfers of films lensed with the Super35 process; notable cropping on the sides, with slightly lesser opening of the mattes on top and bottom.

All in all, a very watchable presentation of the film for cable, and I've got money on their running the theatrical cut of Grindhouse--both films--this way for their standard def broadcast. I'll let you know.

--Jack

Jonathon M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathon
My Japanese 6 disc set arrived today. Basically the extra things unavailable on US dvd are some hotel room interviews from QT, but I can't be bothered checking out most of it at the moment. The two separate films have DTS tracks though, apparently.

I have however checked out the theatrical version, and the transfer looks grubbier than the single films, it's all in 2.35:1, and that's enough for me.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Grindhouse's master format is a DI so I'm not particularly sure how a transfer could look "grubier" unless it was from the compression.

Jonathon M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathon
Well, it doesn't look as clean as the single disc cuts, going from the brief comparison i looked at at work today when it arrived. Seems a little more contrasty, with the whites blowing out a bit more with the Death Proof girls in the car talking about weed.

Maybe the Grindhouse/single films were tweaked differently? I'm not sure. Planet Terror certainly has different ARs....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks