What's new

Gravity 4K…..Any Word? (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Harsh but ok. I think you’re missing the point of my questions; I never suggested people shouldn’t buy it or enjoy it. As with all releases, I hope they bring joy to their intended audiences.
I understood your point. I’ve asked this same question previously about the upgraded audio formats and how that fits with HTF legacy mission. That’s the response.
The following excerpt in bold from our Mission Statement is no longer true as far as being the most advanced media for films and TV. The second bolded excerpt is still true when it comes to Dolby Atmos.

Currently we acknowledge DVD and Blu-ray as the main, most advanced and most important media for films and TV shows to be (re-)presented in our homes. We certainly will not exclude other suitable media from our discussions, however. We strive for the highest achievable quality (video and sound) to be recorded on disc, to be sold and/or rented in a form free for consumers to use in their homes. We want to advance films and TV shows to be represented as complete as possible and with their full image and soundtrack, as intended by the original creators, intact. We want the best soundstage obtainable in a home environment.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
But also, the greater data capacity and more efficient compression for UHD discs (and streaming) means the movie should look and sound even truer to the original theatrical film.

The Wide Color Gamut is also closer to what a theatrical DCP can deliver.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
🤷‍♂️
People just point to the old format and say the theatrical exists, so be quiet and let us enjoy the fancy non-theatrical upgrade
There has been a huge backlash of people wanting only original audio on disc or streaming for a couple years (mainly on other dedicated movie forums) that still sort of shocks me. Even going so far to denigrate people that prefer Atmos sound fields. I'm all for original audio, but I love Atmos too. It would be great if every movie released had the option for both, but that is fantasy. I'm happy with both new, and old.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I think the original audio should be kept along with any new re-mastering.

I don't feel super strongly about it. I'll watch in whatever format it's in, as long as it's good quality -- I'm not buying DVDs to get otherwise unavailable movies.

The recent issue of It's a Wonderful Life has the colorized version for the HD and BW for the 4K. I'm only HD currently, so I watched the color version. It looked great.

When I upgrade to 4K then I'll watch the original black and white.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
There has been a huge backlash of people wanting only original audio on disc or streaming for a couple years (mainly on other dedicated movie forums) that still sort of shocks me. Even going so far to denigrate people that prefer Atmos sound fields.
Unfortunately happens here a lot too.

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
I always want the original audio. An "upgrade" is absolutely welcome, too. For me, it's like the Star Trek discs with the new special effects; as long as the original version is preserved, I'm not going to complain about having other options.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, when we talk about movies that we (the royal "we," you know, the editorial, uh...) like or dislike here, subjective opinion is all any of us has, really. So yeah, Contact is fantastic. Gravity is just OK. ;)
TBH, I don't know why we're comparing the two movies as they have little in common.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
TBH, I don't know why we're comparing the two movies as they have little in common.
Yes. This thread is about Gravity being released in 4K. There are Contact threads I’m sure where its fans (like me) can proclaim its greatness. Feel free to resurrect one of those threads. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.