What's new

Game of Thrones Season 8 (2019) (1 Viewer)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Some interesting reactions to the Arya/Gendry scene. People apparently offended that someone who was once a young girl, now being a woman, is showing partial nudity - which may even be an exaggeration of what we saw.

Some even saying it ruined the show for them, it's morally wrong, and the whole lot.

Decapitation - fine. Disembowelment - bring it on. Squashing someone's head with your bare hands - exciting! A young boy nailed against a wall, zombified and set on fire screaming - how creative!

It's amazing how much stigma is behind sex. I totally get that Arya was once a young girl, but she isn't anymore. Maybe this scene was needed to remind people of that.

Maisie Williams is 22, btw.

Exactly! What a bunch of moronic prudes. If they are so morally high and mighty they should have stopped watching from the first season.

I bet 99% of the complainers are in the U.S. Leave it to Americans to have hangups about sex. It would be funny if it wasn’t so tragic.

Mark

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
By the way, did anyone else notice the very minor change in the opening credits that indicates where the white walkers actually are? I will need to look again, but that change may be telling us something more than meets the eye.

Edit: Ok, I took another look. The number of 'ice tiles' on the ground that tumble towards Winterfell just MIGHT be fewer than the number shown tumbling across the ground after the dead breached the wall in the episode 1 season opener. It's not completely clear though and subject to interpretation.

But it is cool that those tiles at the very least seem to indicate where the white walkers are on the map.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Some interesting reactions to the Arya/Gendry scene. People apparently offended that someone who was once a young girl, now being a woman, is showing partial nudity - which may even be an exaggeration of what we saw.
I’m certain that nude scene was a combination of cgi and a stunt double.

No way it was Maisie Williams.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
I’m certain that nude scene was a combination of cgi and a stunt double.

No way it was Maisie Williams.

Disagree. WHY would HBO put the money into CGI for the simple avoidance of any compromise of her modesty? If they wanted to do that, they could easily have done so 'for free' by keeping a tight angle on the small of her back, keeping her head and shoulders only in frame when her top was off, etc. There are all sorts of ways to do it.

Besides, the interview that Williams herself gave makes it pretty clear that it was her choice about how much to show/not show and she made her choice. The story she tells doesn't leave any room for "oh they used a double, that wasn't really me".

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Yeah, the interview makes it clear that it's her. And tbh I'm glad they didn't go with more than back & side boob.

She's an adult now, but it's like watching Drew Barrymore do a nude scene for the first time when you remember her as the little girl in E.T. - just kind of discomforting. And worse because you know Maisie as a child from this very show.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Excellent episode, the high point for me even more than the knight thing was when the girl who resembled Shireen Baratheon showed up.

I was expecting Jaime to be executed but everything that happened in this episode kind of confirms to me that they are going to play this safe. And I don't mean it in a bad way. I don't think they are going to upset people like the previous seasons. They have soften things up for this final season. I predict The White Walkers are not going to kill everyone and also Jon and Daenerys both survive the series.

I noticed Emilia Clarke is playing it differently. She smiles a lot more and shows emotions. Daenerys never smiled like this in the previous seasons.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
I noticed Emilia Clarke is playing it differently. She smiles a lot more and shows emotions. Daenerys never smiled like this in the previous seasons.

She only smiles when she's trying to make nicey-nice with Sansa. That's not going her way.

Well, I guess she smiles for Jon also, but I think that's about it! Her smiles for Jon are out of love. Her smiles for Sansa are phony baloney.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Disagree. WHY would HBO put the money into CGI for the simple avoidance of any compromise of her modesty? If they wanted to do that, they could easily have done so 'for free' by keeping a tight angle on the small of her back, keeping her head and shoulders only in frame when her top was off, etc. There are all sorts of ways to do it.

Besides, the interview that Williams herself gave makes it pretty clear that it was her choice about how much to show/not show and she made her choice. The story she tells doesn't leave any room for "oh they used a double, that wasn't really me".
Sorry must have missed that interview. Do you have a link to it?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
upload_2019-4-22_19-37-57.jpeg

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, the interview makes it clear that it's her. And tbh I'm glad they didn't go with more than back & side boob.

I think they/she showed a bit more than that.
Go back to the scene (after the sex scene) where she and Gendry are in bed. I didn't rewind to look but I believe I saw about half of her left nipple visible from just under the edge of the covers.

Again, I didn't go back and look again, I could be wrong.

Mark

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
I think they/she showed a bit more than that.
Go back to the scene (after the sex scene) where she and Gendry are in bed. I didn't rewind to look but I believe I saw about half of her left nipple visible from just under the edge of the covers.

Again, I didn't go back and look again, I could be wrong.

Mark

Nope. She's well covered. There's a small thread from her blanket sticking out that might have caught your eye.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Nope. She's well covered. There's a small thread from her blanket sticking out that might have caught your eye.

Ha, I guess just wishful thinking on my part! :)

Maisie Williams didn't look quite as innocent when she was partying at the wrap party.

maisiewilliams-sophieturner3-vogueint-15apr19-gettyimages-.jpg

Mark

AcesHighStudios

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike Williams
Several of you have mentioned that line being in S1. I absolutely do not recall it... at all... and I've seen that season at least 7 times. Sigh...

Which is precisely why it is the very last line spoken on the "Previously On..." just before the Show Open, to remind EVERYONE.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks