What's new

Game of Thrones Season 8 (2019) (1 Viewer)

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
There is nothing "better" for me about being floored by plot developments from watching a TV show vs reading a book. Yes, I knew what was going to happen on the show, but I STILL had the emotional reaction from reading the books, so it's not as though reading the books "ruined" anything for me.

We can agree to disagree on this, or maybe I wasn't making myself clear re: my previous post.

I.e., if I had read the novels prior to seeing GOT, I would have already known about a lot of key plot points, i.e. The Red Wedding, Geoffrey's death, etc. - yes, the details would probably have been different - but, I still wouldn't have been surprised by these elements on screen. And, I wanted to be genuinely surprised by the show.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I.e., if I had read the novels prior to seeing GOT, I would have already known about a lot of key plot points, i.e. The Red Wedding, Geoffrey's death, etc. - yes, the details would probably have been different - but, I still wouldn't have been surprised by these elements on screen.
I understood your point perfectly. You would have been surprised by those elements in the book. There is nothing inherently superior about on screen surprises vs book surprises.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Watched the 2 hour documentary yesterday. Pretty enjoyable behind the scenes look at the production. Some pretty interesting characters behind the scenes, although I do wonder if there was some playing to the cameras to accentuate the personalities. Maybe a little, but that's okay. That logistics woman sure had a mouth on her. :)

Nicest moment in the documentary, for me, was the little girl being cast as a wildling and running into the woods with the cast for the closing scene of the series. Just a nice gift from her parents that she will have fond memories of for the rest of her life.

- Walter.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Game of Thrones’ Breaks Emmys Record for Most Nominations in a Single Season

Game of Thrones” is going out with a bang.

For its final run, the HBO fantasy epic scored 32 nominations for the Emmy Awards Tuesday morning, the most for any program in a single season. That record was previously held by “NYPD Blue,” which scored 26 nominations in 1994.

Over its full eight seasons, “Game of Thrones” has nabbed 161 nominations overall.

In addition to drama series, “Game of Thrones” just about dominated the drama acting categories. It scored four nominations for supporting actress in a drama series (Gwendoline Christie, Lena Headey, Sophie Turner, Maisie Williams) and three nominations in supporting actor (Alfie Allen, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Peter Dinklage). Carice van Houten was recognized in guest actress, and Emilia Clarke and Kit Harington also scored their first nominations in the lead categories, having previously been nominated in supporting.

Last edited:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
32 Emmy nominations. Most for a season of any show. Ever.
Kind of reminds me of the LotR: RotK nominations. I didn't think that movie was significantly better than the two that preceded, but it felt like a "reward for epic undertaking". Like a lifetime achievement award. :rolling-smiley:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Kind of reminds me of the LotR: RotK nominations. I didn't think that movie was significantly better than the two that preceded, but it felt like a "reward for epic undertaking". Like a lifetime achievement award. :rolling-smiley:
I know what you mean. But I loved this season so I feel as though it’s much deserved.

mandy147

Auditioning
Real Name
Madhav Sharma
I agree with most of this, although imho the argument is taken a little too far….

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/the-real-reason-fans-hate-the-last-season-of-game-of-thrones/

"....Benioff and Weiss steer the narrative lane away from the sociological and shifted to the psychological. That’s the main, and often only, way Hollywood and most television writers tell stories.

This is an important shift to dissect because whether we tell our stories primarily from a sociological or psychological point of view has great consequences for how we deal with our world and the problems we encounter.

I encounter this shortcoming a lot in my own area of writing—technology, and society. Our inability to understand and tell sociological stories is one of the key reasons we’re struggling with how to respond to the historic technological transition we’re currently experiencing with digital technology and machine intelligence—but more on all that later. Let’s first go over what happened to Game of Thrones...."

Much more at the link.

I hated it for the way they ended it. The hype of White walker from the season one was all done and dusted in a couple of minutes. I think the Knight King needed more thrill and screen time.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The Emmy's are pretty much a self-serving, BS award that means little. You buy your way in and then promote, promote, promote to get people to vote for your nomination(s). Did you ever shake your head over some of the "nominations?"

This is from a NY Post article:
Interestingly, it was written and directed by series creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, while the more deserving “A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms” was written by Bryan Cogman. So, the answer for why this particular episode was chosen is that they nominated themselves. And as a cap to a needlessly rushed season — plagued by their hubris of thinking that was the right way to go — that seems about right.

Here's a short version of how it works: People who worked on eligible shows can nominate themselves for awards and are encouraged to do so. The entrants have to pay a fee, the amount of which is based on whether the nomination is commercial, individual or for a program, and the size of the team for team entries. Then the membership group (anyone who works in the industry and is willing to pay the membership fee - currently ~25,000 members) selects what they feel is the best from the entries submitted (you can't vote for yourself). It's a double round voting system. First all the "nominees" are voted on and the top in each group (6 or 7 but no more than 1/3 the number of "nominees" with 2 minimum) are voted on again (similar to how it's done for the Oscars). The ones who get to the 2nd voting round are announced as "nominees."

So... I can work on a show and nominate myself as long as I'm willing to pony up the nomination fee (or may get it "free" if I'm an active member). Getting lots of nominations essentially means someone was willing to pay for the "honor" and had a good publicist.

https://www.emmys.com/news/awards-news/infographic-how-emmy-won

https://www.emmys.com/sites/default/files/Downloads/2019-rules-procedures-v6.pdf

Now... that doesn't stop the writer(s)/director(s) of better episodes from the season from nominating themselves too - they may have. But it's hard to go against heavy hitters who can muster better publicity or play the "good-ole'-boy" game better.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
So the episode most fans hate the most - the final episode "The Iron Throne," - is the one that got nominated for the Outstanding Writing in a Drama Series Emmy. Talk about rubbing salt in a wound.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I wonder how many will actually win? There are multiple nominees in some categories, so vote-splitting is a definite possibility.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Other than the writing nomination I think most people would be happy with the nominations.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
79156592_2635306786758255_4359973915242528768_n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks