What's new

Game of Thrones Season 8 (2019) (1 Viewer)

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
And just what happened to Arya's white horse? That was the first continuity issue I saw - Arya is still at King's Landing but no white horse in sight.

Good question. At some point (offscreen) between Episodes 05 & 06, Arya got off the white horse & it disappeared, but no explanation was given re: why this happened.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The white horse was just a horse, of course.

Strange directorial choice to make it seem like something more meaningful.
Exactly.

At the end of episode 5 a white horse seemingly just appears as she's leaving King's Landing. She gets on and rides away. Fade to black.

In the beginning of episode 6 she's *walking* back into King's Landing with no horse. No sign of the horse at all. I don't need to see her get off but at least show it in the background.

And she *left* so just why is she coming back?
Do we need an explanation ? Can’t we just assume she got off and came back like Jon and Tyrion ?
No... we don't *need* an explanation. It's just a very odd continuity error in a program that's normally extremely well produced and devoid of these things...

It's quite illogical but consistent with the overall laziness in writing/plotting this season that took almost twice as long to produce.

Last edited:

Douglas_H

Stunt Coordinator
I will say that at least this forum has much less of the ridiculous criticism elsewhere.
As usual, GOT was the most unpredictable of any series I remember. That's a good thing, imo.
After I watched the 1st season, I wondered if there would be anyone left by the end.

In any event, some of you had some pretty close to right-on predictions for the finale.
One thing was obvious to me after penultimate episode, Dany would not be queen.
Jon could not live with that and would die trying to kill her.

Has anyone mentioned the unanimous derision that Sam got for suggesting a democracy?
I thought that was truly funny & telling.
I was convinced that Euron would get toasted and wanted to see him scream.
That was the only weak moment to me, Jaime surviving what looked like some seriously mortal stab wounds.

The Clegane fight was epic & the ending of it, perfection.
The Hound was certainly a top 5 character for me.
He never softened which most any other writer or producer would have done to the character to please the audience.
Thank the Gods that Spielberg never got near this story.

One last thing for me:
The single best aspect among many about GOT was how in the hell they achieved such perfection in casting
so many characters and getting such true to character performances from them.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
George R.R. Martin is sharing his thoughts on the ending of Game of Thrones on his Not a Blog. After eight seasons, Martin says “it is hard to believe it is over,” thanking the cast, crew, showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss, co-executive producer Bryan Cogman, and the team at HBO.

The author of A Song of Ice and Fire book series on which the HBO series was based, also addressed the question of whether the book ending would be different than that of the show, defending the show’s’ series ender. See his excerpt below:

Well… yes. And no. And yes. And no. And yes. And no. And yes.

I am working in a very different medium than David and Dan, never forget. They had six hours for this final season. I expect these last two books of mine will fill 3000 manuscript pages between them before I’m done… and if more pages and chapters and scenes are needed, I’ll add them. And of course the butterfly effect will be at work as well; those of you who follow this Not A Blog will know that I’ve been talking about that since season one. There are characters who never made it onto the screen at all, and others who died in the show but still live in the books… so if nothing else, the readers will learn what happened to Jeyne Poole, Lady Stoneheart, Penny and her pig, Skahaz Shavepate, Arianne Martell, Darkstar, Victarion Greyjoy, Ser Garlan the Gallant, Aegon VI, and a myriad of other characters both great and small that viewers of the show never had the chance to meet. And yes, there will be unicorns… of a sort…

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Just wait until Martin publishes his ending. I can already see the petitions calling for the show to be remade.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just got around to watching the final episode this evening.

I did read the spoiler thread beforehand but was interested to see how it would play out.

I wasn't satisfied nor dissatisfied with the finale. I just shrugged my shoulders afterward and thought, "okay."

Having binge-watched all 7 seasons last October (took just about two weeks), I was in complete awe of the series. Had never experience anything like it. It was the best series I had ever seen.

This season felt so oddly different. I think the main problem was that unlike other seasons past, everyone was together and on the same mission. In prior seasons, there were so many stories going on at once and that really helped keep the pace and tension going.

I agree with most everyone that the writing could have been much better, and there seemed to be an effort to accelerate some sort of quick ending.

I didn't hate this season. I didn't like this season. I just accepted it and walked away with enough satisfaction that the entire series, as a whole, will always have a special place in my heart. I hope to rewatch it again someday.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I was also fine with the finale. Liked some things, didn't like others. Even Steven.

The biggest "complaint" was how long CleganeBowl went on. Though I understood the Hound just wanted revenge, the battle was mostly pointless for the audience given the Mountain was not really the man he was. If he wasn't the undead creature he became then it'd be a different story altogether. Have the scene for the closure, but not so long.

Best moments I thought were in the parley with Tyrion, starting with "Uncle. Please sit." And then Sam getting laughed at for democracy.

Totally ok with Bran as King. The wheel is broken, why not a "broken" ruler? Plus, more ADA compliant building codes in Westeros!

Last edited:

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Now Martin just has to get back to his job and finish the books. I am fine with an author taking his time, but this is getting insulting. It has been almost 8 years since his last book came out. EIGHT YEARS. Meanwhile, he has been "busy" with the TV show, editing other works, having a hand in video games, short stories, a thousand interviews and conventions etc. etc. Brandon Sanderson puts out massive fantasy novels at over double Martin's rate. Argue if you will on the quality, but Sanderson has at least the depth and complexity of Martin's series. At this rate, we will not get the last book until about 2030. Martin will be 80 years old. I really think he will never finish this series.

Last edited:

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Now Martin just has to get back to his job and finish the books. I am fine with an author taking his time, but this is getting insulting. It has been almost 8 years since his last book came out. EIGHT YEARS. Meanwhile, he has been "busy" with the TV show, editing other works, having a hand in video games, short stories, a thousand interviews and conventions etc. etc. Brandon Sanderson puts out massive fantasy novels at over double Martin's rate. Argue if you will on the quality, but Sanderson has at least the depth and complexity of Martin's series. At this rate, we will not get the last book until about 2020. Martin will be 80 years old. I really think he will never finish this series.
2020??? I wish!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Now Martin just has to get back to his job and finish the books. I am fine with an author taking his time, but this is getting insulting. It has been almost 8 years since his last book came out. EIGHT YEARS. Meanwhile, he has been "busy" with the TV show, editing other works, having a hand in video games, short stories, a thousand interviews and conventions etc. etc. Brandon Sanderson puts out massive fantasy novels at over double Martin's rate. Argue if you will on the quality, but Sanderson has at least the depth and complexity of Martin's series. At this rate, we will not get the last book until about 2030. Martin will be 80 years old. I really think he will never finish this series.
I agree. Martin seems to have little interest in finishing the series. He has too many other projects that he's more interested in working on right now, and I expect he'll pass on before he finishes the Thrones series.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I agree. Martin seems to have little interest in finishing the series. He has too many other projects that he's more interested in working on right now, and I expect he'll pass on before he finishes the Thrones series.
Perhaps Martin is the James Cameron of fantasy novels. :)

I don’t often read fantasy novels, so I’ve never read the Fire & Ice series. Trying to decide if I want to.

BTW, there have been several comments about GOT being the best series every. Even though it was a limited series, I still have to go with Band of Brothers as the best series ever.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Stephen King had the same issue with The Dark Tower series. The time between books got longer and longer. He had only finished four of an anticipated 7. And then he almost died when he was struck by a van while walking. With mortality now no longer an abstract notion, he finished the remaining three books in fairly short order. Now I'm not wishing for anything to happen to GRRM but maybe something in his life will make him realize that time is limited for all of us, and if he really wants to leave a legacy of a finished story, it's time to grind, grind, grind.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I still have to go with Band of Brothers as the best series ever.
Right. Band Of Brothers is a mini series with only 10 episodes as opposed to GOT’s series total of 74 episodes.

BOB is perhaps my favorite mini series of all time too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks