What's new

Game of Thrones Season 8 (2019) (2 Viewers)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Random thoughts...

Wowsers! What an episode! I thought things might play out a bit differently, but in retrospect it probably makes sense to resolve some plot lines given that there are only three episodes left.

Great use of percussion in the soundtrack to really drive the pace of the scenes. Reminded me just a bit of some of Bear McCreary's work on BSG (2004).

A little hard to follow at times, but battles are supposed to be chaotic, so mission accomplished.

Did not foresee the 'Han Solo' moment at the conclusion of the battle. Pretty great though and a really well choreographed reaction in multiple shots. Given Bran's capabilities perhaps he knew the outcome already which would explain why he was cooler than the coolest cucumber ever known to man.

Some nice bonding between Sansa and Tyrion. Also a nice bit of dialog between Theon and Bran.

A buddy and I were predicting who would live and die in this episode and we both got some right and missed on others. (So many deaths to go around that you are bound to hit a few. Kind of agree with Sam, but no biggie.)

Probably my favorite shot of the episode was of the two dragons above the clouds in the distance under the moonlit sky. A very iconic fantasy image; somewhat reminiscent of what you might see from someone like Frank Frazetta. Loved that imagery.

Gonna have to watch this one a few more times.

- Walter.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I called that
Arya would kill the Night King when she disappeared for 20 minutes in the middle of the episode.

Wonderful episode, I think I enjoyed it more than End Game which I liked quite a lot. And yes the streaming quality was terrible, the stream switched to SD in the middle of the episode.

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
Watched it on cable and it wasn't any easier to tell what was going on.

So much for a friend's theory that Bran was the Night King. Free lunch coming for me! hahaha

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
A buddy of mine told me over lunch last week that one of the internet theories was that Bran was the Night King.

'What the what?!' was my reaction. :rolling-smiley:

- Walter.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Yeah. The dark scenes didn’t help with the compression artifacts. And this episode was DARK.

Hopefully the 4K release won’t have these issues.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
My stream looked fine - dark, but no other issues. I also watched via browser on a laptop so that might have helped. No app.

Looks like I'm the odd man out. I thought it was overly long and quite boring, exactly like I anticipated. I must have checked the clock a dozen times before the first hour was over. It hit all the expected, and anticipated, notes and played out exactly like I was expecting, although I thought there'd be more character interaction following the battle. I'm somewhat sad it played as it did as I was really hoping they'd go against expectations and we'd see that end run to King's Landing that many guessed would occur.

While the body count isn't fully done, I did expect most of the deaths we saw. There are a couple more I anticipated that we've not yet seen and a couple I expected to die who survived. The final blow was delivered by one of the two I was expecting to get that honor and I'm glad it was who it was, although there was a moment I thought it might actually go against the expected and surprise us.

The absolutely best scenes involved Arya and the dragons with those in the crypt between Sansa and Tyrion coming in a close third.

I hope they do better on the last 3 episodes. I fully expect the "final battle" to be a better experience. At least I hope it is. Right now I'd give The Battle of the Bastards the "Best Battle" award.

Last edited:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Ok, so what's the speculation about what's going to happen in the last three episodes.....?

Somehow I thought the Night King wasn't going to die until the last or second to last episode/movie. So now we still have the battle for the Iron Throne, of course. But are there additional possibilities of White Walkers? Or do we assume they are just all dead now?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks