What's new

Game of Thrones Season 8 (2019) (1 Viewer)

AcesHighStudios

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike Williams
Rhegar is Jon Snow’s dad.
Daenerys is Rhegar’s sister.
Daenerys is Jon Snow’a aunt.
Jon Snow and Daenerys have been having, ahem, CARNAL KNOWLEDGE with each other.

Icky icky gross! :eek:

But certainly no more gross than Jaime Lannister and Cersei having a lifelong affair and bearing three children, since Jon Snow and Daenerys didn't know each other until a few months ago, and didn't know they were related while having carnal knowledge.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
But certainly no more gross than Jaime Lannister and Cersei having a lifelong affair and bearing three children, since Jon Snow and Daenerys didn't know each other until a few months ago, and didn't know they were related while having carnal knowledge.
Of course Jamie and Cersei are gross as well, and I’m sure Jon wouldn’t have boinked Daenerys if he’d known, but it’s quite funny how much of...that kind of stuff, is on the show.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Of course Jamie and Cersei are gross as well, and I’m sure Jon wouldn’t have boinked Daenerys if he’d known, but it’s quite funny how much of...that kind of stuff, is on the show.

It’s been clear from the beginning that GRRM was creating a world that is different from ours. The story is intentionally shocking specifically because it is so different from ours. We’ve known since episode 1 or 2 that “the Targaryens often wed brother and sister” and they ruled for a long time. The practice was not approved by other families, but we’ve also seen how practices change whenever the ruler does. E.g., women in Kings Landing copying Marjorie’s and then Cersei’s dresses and hair. Indeed, last season Cersei didn’t care when her servant (in Cersei style high neck dress and short hair) saw her in bed with Jaime. Some people will complain about Jon and Dany getting together but I think the point GRRM is trying to make is that people’s objections to incest (or anything else) are only about what serves to further their own agendas and not an objection to incest itself.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Yeah, it's almost like George RR Martin is some kind of demented pervert or something.
He's on record as using "The Wars of the Roses" as a inspiration and basis for much the series.

The royal families of Europe are known for incest, especially the matchmaking done by Queen Victoria (She and Albert were 1st cousins). Inbreeding is the cause for the Russian family's (also kin to Victoria's offspring) hemophilia issues (which had also afflicted one of Victoria's children and several grandchildren). Those close family connections she manipulated were one of the causes of WWI (most, if not all, of the royal families of Europe were related at the time, with many of the leaders being cousins, several of whom did not get along).

He's essentially looking for real juicy tidbits and reworking them for his story.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I’m currently reading a book about Europe during the reign of Elizabeth I of England, and there was a jousting scene where someone like the King of Spain or France, don’t really remember who, but he was angry because he was having trouble finding people who would joust with him, since no one wanted to hurt the King, which reminded me of GoT with Robert Baratheon. At least I think something like that happened on GoT. It seems going through the first seven seasons twice isn’t enough to have caught everything, as a lot of things mentioned by people on here I have no recollection of, lol!

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
So, how do you guys think they will finish the series?

A theory of course is that the White Walkers will kill everyone but as interesting and poignant it is, I think it is the wrong way to go. It will be unsatisfying and anti-climatic. You can do it in a movie but not in a series this long.

My theory is that contrary to what they have done before, the best way would be to go very traditional with no surprises. The best way would be to go with both Jon and Daenerys on the throne and not kill any of them. I feel like any other way it will not be satisfying.

AcesHighStudios

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike Williams
I predict Daenerys will be killed and Jon Snow will sit on the iron throne. If Jon Snow doesn't end up on the throne, then what was all of this about? I also predict that Jaime will end up killing Cersei while protecting Tyrion from her. That would just be poetic.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I thought it was another terrific set up episode with plenty of great little moments.

The Knighting ceremony was one of the highlights of the entire series.

Despite the inevitable forthcoming “it was so sloooow” comments I feel this episode was one of the tensest yet. I was on the edge of my seat.

I’m going to miss these wonderful characters.

Loved it.

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Good episode... much better than last week but still too fast. Only 1 moderately cheesy line.

They should have come up with a better line for Bran than "The things we do for love..." which immediately finished itself in my head: "Like walkin' in the rain and the snow when there's nowhere to go and you're feelin' like a part of you is dying..." Totally took me out...

The knighting ceremony was excellent - and too long in coming!

Arya's finally hooked up with Gendry...

Dany now knows about Jon. The looks between them as they left the ramparts, I'm assuming to get the dragons, reminded me a bit of a superhero movie. Something along the lines of: "You ready, Robin?" "OK Batman... let's go!"

Last edited:

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
Yeah I agree Tino. I didn't want to say anything before, but I was pretty sure we weren't going to see any battles this episode. Seeing BoT smile once was pretty excellent. I loved all the little moments too. There was definitely a tension about it, like they could be attacked at any time.

That Arya scene came out of nowhere, but it makes sense given how she had been regarding Gendry *who with his current haircut could easily pass for Christian Bale at times*

Now let's get ready for the near-movie length remaining episodes:

Season 8, episode 3
Debut date: SUNDAY, APRIL 28 at 9:00 p.m. (ET/PT)
Estimated running time: 1:22

Season 8, episode 4
Debut date: SUNDAY, MAY 5 at 9:00 p.m. (ET/PT)
Estimated running time: 1:18

Season 8, episode 5
Debut date: SUNDAY, MAY 12 at 9:00 p.m. (ET/PT)
Estimated running time: 1:20

Season 8, episode 6
Debut date: SUNDAY, MAY 19 at 9:00 p.m. (ET/PT)
Estimated running time: 1:20

Last edited:

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
I imagine from here it's all out war. That final shot pulling away from the castle was sad because I quickly realized that we were a week away from another episode! Next weekend will be crazy! Avengers and the War of the White Walkers!

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
They should have come up with a better line for Bran than "The things we do for love..." which immediately finished itself in my head: "Like walkin' in the rain and the snow when there's nowhere to go and you're feelin' like a part of you is dying..." Totally took me out...
I thought it was symmetry for Jamie's line in episode one. If not for that, I'd agree, but I thought the symmetry was nice.

The characters in this series are, all of them, people that interest me, people that I care about, and people I don't necessarily want to see die (with a few exceptions).

I know there's another series, think it's prequel but can't remember. I'm sure I'll give it a watch but doubt they'll be able to recreate the magic here. This show has been something special.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I predict Daenerys will be killed and Jon Snow will sit on the iron throne. If Jon Snow doesn't end up on the throne, then what was all of this about? I also predict that Jaime will end up killing Cersei while protecting Tyrion from her. That would just be poetic.
I think that possibility definitely exists, but it would feel anticlimactic after seven seasons of buildup. More likely, Jon and Daenerys marry and rule jointly, and their child is the one to usher in the long summer of peace and prosperity.

Also possible that both of them end up dying, but I think not until the end if it happens.

I thought it was another terrific set up episode with plenty of great little moments.
I thought it was a really solid second episode for a ten-episode season, but even if they defeat the Night King next Sunday I don't see how they'll be able to wrap everything else up in three episodes.

I do think it was this season's "bottle episode", with everybody couped up on the show's standing sets, and no real heavy lifts in the visual effects department. Bottle episodes are often my favorites, because they force the writers to focus on character. I loved all of the pairings got tonight.

The Knighting ceremony was one of the highlights of the entire series.
One of the things I really appreciated about this episode is the idea of consequences. Jaime only survived his audience with the dragon queen because of the decent things he'd done up until this point. He's definitely an anti-hero who has done some appalling things, but it's nice to see good karma pay off on this show. He earned Tyrion's support, and he earned Brienne's support. And Brienne, in particular, was a very effective advocate. And Brienne accordingly deserved the recognition and respect he bestowed upon her.

Good episode... much better than last week but still too fast. Only 1 moderately cheesy line.

That was a callback to the pilot. It's what Jaime said to Cersei after he pushed Bran out of the window.

Dany now knows about Jon. The looks between them as they left the ramparts, I'm assuming to get the dragons, reminded me a bit of a superhero movie. Something along the lines of: "You ready, Robin?" "OK Batman... let's go!"
I read that look more as: "We have unfinished business, you and I. You just lobbed a grenade into the middle of our carefully laid plans and fragile alliance. But it's going to have to wait."

That Arya scene came out of nowhere, but it makes sense given how she had been regarding Gendry *who with his current haircut could easily pass for Christian Bale at times*
It made total sense, given that Arya had yet to experience sex, she was pretty convinced that she was hours away from dying, and a handsome man who she'd had a crush on for a while was standing right in front of her.

But it still felt really icky, since we've followed the character (and the actress) since she was a fairly young child. It was a real slap in the face moment for just how long this series has been running for, and how much has transpired during it. It's a similar phenomenon to the Harry Potter movies, except this show goes to far more adult places.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks