1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Game of Thrones Season 8 (2019)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Sam Favate, May 23, 2018.

1. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    Does not include the Tyrion-Sansa marriage. Also missing Robert's Bastards, most notably Gendry.

Also, what's the timeline for Rhaegar's marriage to Lyanna and The Mountain killing Elia Martell and her children? Is bigamy okay in Westeros or does the timeline allow for Jon/Aegon to be the rightful heir?

2. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    No love for House Greyjoy?

3. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    upload_2019-4-17_12-13-46.

4. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Yes... but (from: https://gameofthrones.fandom.com/wiki/House_Targaryen):
    Daenerys' mother and father were brother and sister.

And, with the ill advised killing of Sam's father and brother, I'd say that Daenerys is absolutely showing signs of erratic and violent behavior...

5. SamT

SamT Producer

Sam
    Sam Favate likes this.
  6. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Was it ill-advised though? Killing two men convinced all of the other men following the Lannisters to fall into line. It might have prevented further bloodshed elsewhere, now that the noble houses of Westeros know she means business.

I've never understood the argument that it's more moral for thousands of soldiers to be killed on the battlefield than to kill the noble lords who sent them there.

Obviously, Samwell's not thrilled with her decision, but he's not exactly unbiased on that particular point.

Dheiner and Tino like this.
  7. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

Thank you. That makes more sense.

And I didn't realize that Daenerys killed Samwise's father and brother for not bending the knee. That was not exactly mentioned but I suppose should have been accepted, and thus, the reason for Sam having to be alone to collect his thoughts and shed some tears.

8. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Screen Shot 2019-04-17 at 8.24.12 PM.

Sam Posten and Jeff Flugel like this.
  9. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    I don’t know what you mean by - not exactly mentioned.
    It happened in an episode last season I think and it was pretty clear who they were.

One reason binging a show like this in a short time frame is that there is so much to take in that much of it could go right by without it registering.

10. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

This is the scene where it happened, from the fifth episode of last season:

11. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Aaah, okay. Now I remember. Just forgot that they were Samwise's Dad and Brother

Tino and SamT like this.
  12. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Minor nitpick, it's Samwell, not Samwise. That's the guy in Lord of the Rings. ;)

Sam Posten, Greg.K and BobO'Link like this.
  13. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    It's easy to do. There are just so many people to keep up with it's quite easy to lose/forget connections. I'd totally missed that one until we were discussing it the next day at work and a coworker commented on it. I've watched the series multiple times (I do a full rewatch of all prior seasons leading up to a new one) and still will miss some of the "minor" ones that turn out to be rather significant or have an impact on the story long after a brief appearance a season or longer ago.

14. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Yes, I believe so. Like many she's made I feel her decision was hasty and flawed. It smacks of a gut/impulse reaction of someone slightly unstable when they did not immediately get what they wanted (everyone "bending the knee") and damn the consequences. Tyrion was begging her to not do it. It generated an immediate response but that response means nothing. Can you really trust those soldiers who "bent the knee" only after seeing their lord and commander get fried? It's quite likely killing Randyll and Dickon was premature and will work against her going forward. That she did will do nothing but cement in the other leader's minds that she's just another "mad" Targaryen and not to be trusted. I can see everyone but Jon turning against her just as soon as the White Walker army has been destroyed (assuming they win).

Imprisonment of leaders can get you information not available anywhere else. For that one reason it is often prudent to hold them a bit before execution.

Sam asked Jon "Did you bend the knee to save the North? Or because you love her?" That question will be asked by others who don't trust her motives and practices as it's quite obvious they are a couple and Jon is rather smitten with her. Lady Mormont says it well "You left Winterfell a king and came back… I’m not sure what you are now. A lord? Nothing at all?" She doesn't appear to trust either at this point and I don't believe Sansa does either.

15. AcesHighStudios

AcesHighStudios Stunt Coordinator

Mike Williams
    Someone said this episode was SLOOOOOWWWWWW. I thought it was the fastest hour of television I had ever watched.

16. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

Ahem... Howland Reed was with Ned when they fought Arthur Dayne at the Tower of Joy and found Lyanna after giving birth to Jon Snow. Howland Reed has been away in Greywater Watch since then and nobody’s seen him. But all of the northern lords have been summoned to Winterfell. They didn’t show Howland in season 8 ep. 1 (though maybe they did since we don’t know what he looks like) but he can corroborate what Sam and Bran are saying about Jon’s parents. My guess is Howland Reed and Meera Reed will show up soon to confirm Jon’s parents and Gilly or Sam will have the maester’s journal to prove that Rhaegar and Lyanna were married and Jon is legitimate.

Dheiner likes this.
  17. SamT

SamT Producer

Sam
    Question, why Jon Snow is considered to be the next successor when there is Daenerys Targaryen? She is one generation higher and closer to be the successor.

18. Message #118 of 1094 Apr 21, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    Charlie Campisi

I think the easy answer is primogeniture. The first heir is the oldest son and you skip past siblings unless there is no oldest son. Here’s the longer history if you care:

When Jamie Lannister killed the mad king Aerys Targaryen, the heir was his son, Rhaegar. Robert Baratheon killed Rhaegar and then set about trying to kill every Targaryen so that no people could rally around a Targaryen king and overthrow him. The Mountain killed Rhaegar’s wife, Elia Martell and her two infant children. All of this took place before the books/show began. But it can be pieced together with references in the books and now through Bran’s visions.

Nobody knew that Rhaegar and Elia’s marriage had been annulled (until Sam and Gilly found the maester’s journal in the Citadel) and so everyone beloved Rhaegar’s heir to be his brother, Viserys. Khal Drogo killed Viserys in season one with the golden crown, and people believed Danaerys to be the heir. But son of the king trumps sibling of the king. Jon is the legitimate son of Rhaegar, who was the heir.

19. Charlie Campisi

Add - it’s the same reason why after Robert Baratheon was killed by the boar, Joffrey became king and not Stannis.

20. Charlie Campisi

Was the last time we saw Ghost around the time of the Battle of the Bastards? He should still be in the North somewhere and close to Winterfell. Expecting Ghost and Nymeria to be involved in the battle with the white walkers and army of the dead.