What's new

Game of Thrones Season 8 (2019) (1 Viewer)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Does not include the Tyrion-Sansa marriage. Also missing Robert's Bastards, most notably Gendry.

Also, what's the timeline for Rhaegar's marriage to Lyanna and The Mountain killing Elia Martell and her children? Is bigamy okay in Westeros or does the timeline allow for Jon/Aegon to be the rightful heir?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
upload_2019-4-17_12-13-46.jpeg

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Rhegar is Jon Snow’s dad.
Daenerys is Rhegar’s sister.
Daenerys is Jon Snow’a aunt.
Jon Snow and Daenerys have been having, ahem, CARNAL KNOWLEDGE with each other.

Icky icky gross! :eek:
Yes... but (from: https://gameofthrones.fandom.com/wiki/House_Targaryen):
Generations of compound inbreeding have preserved in the Targaryen bloodline the classic Valyrian features of silver-white (platinum blonde) hair, and very fair, pale skin. Allegedly, this also preserved in their bloodline the ability to successfully bond with and ride dragons. They also seem to be somewhat more tolerant of extreme heat and high temperatures than other people, though they are by no means invulnerable to fire – or at least, not all of them. Unfortunately, some believe that this practice of inbreeding has also caused the trait of insanity to plague House Targaryen; though some members are known to be perfectly normal psychologically-speaking, other Targaryens throughout history have displayed bizarre, erratic and sometimes violent behavior, succumbing to the so-called 'Targaryen madness'.
Daenerys' mother and father were brother and sister.

And, with the ill advised killing of Sam's father and brother, I'd say that Daenerys is absolutely showing signs of erratic and violent behavior...

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
And, with the ill advised killing of Sam's father and brother, I'd say that Daenerys is absolutely showing signs of erratic and violent behavior...
Was it ill-advised though? Killing two men convinced all of the other men following the Lannisters to fall into line. It might have prevented further bloodshed elsewhere, now that the noble houses of Westeros know she means business.

I've never understood the argument that it's more moral for thousands of soldiers to be killed on the battlefield than to kill the noble lords who sent them there.

Obviously, Samwell's not thrilled with her decision, but he's not exactly unbiased on that particular point.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

But anyways, Jon Snow being Rhegar’s legit son gives him a right to the thrown before Daenerys, and I don’t think she will like that. She’s thought all this time her brothers’ deaths made her the proper heir, as they didn’t father children. But Rhegar did, and no one knew accept for Ned Stark, who is really Jon Snow’s uncle. Lyanna, Jon Snow’s mom, is Ned Stark’s sister.

Thank you. That makes more sense.

And I didn't realize that Daenerys killed Samwise's father and brother for not bending the knee. That was not exactly mentioned but I suppose should have been accepted, and thus, the reason for Sam having to be alone to collect his thoughts and shed some tears.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Thank you. That makes more sense.

And I didn't realize that Daenerys killed Samwise's father and brother for not bending the knee. That was not exactly mentioned but I suppose should have been accepted, and thus, the reason for Sam having to be alone to collect his thoughts and shed some tears.
I don’t know what you mean by - not exactly mentioned.
It happened in an episode last season I think and it was pretty clear who they were.

One reason binging a show like this in a short time frame is that there is so much to take in that much of it could go right by without it registering.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This is the scene where it happened, from the fifth episode of last season:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Aaah, okay. Now I remember. Just forgot that they were Samwise's Dad and Brother
It's easy to do. There are just so many people to keep up with it's quite easy to lose/forget connections. I'd totally missed that one until we were discussing it the next day at work and a coworker commented on it. I've watched the series multiple times (I do a full rewatch of all prior seasons leading up to a new one) and still will miss some of the "minor" ones that turn out to be rather significant or have an impact on the story long after a brief appearance a season or longer ago.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Was it ill-advised though? Killing two men convinced all of the other men following the Lannisters to fall into line. It might have prevented further bloodshed elsewhere, now that the noble houses of Westeros know she means business.

I've never understood the argument that it's more moral for thousands of soldiers to be killed on the battlefield than to kill the noble lords who sent them there.

Obviously, Samwell's not thrilled with her decision, but he's not exactly unbiased on that particular point.
Yes, I believe so. Like many she's made I feel her decision was hasty and flawed. It smacks of a gut/impulse reaction of someone slightly unstable when they did not immediately get what they wanted (everyone "bending the knee") and damn the consequences. Tyrion was begging her to not do it. It generated an immediate response but that response means nothing. Can you really trust those soldiers who "bent the knee" only after seeing their lord and commander get fried? It's quite likely killing Randyll and Dickon was premature and will work against her going forward. That she did will do nothing but cement in the other leader's minds that she's just another "mad" Targaryen and not to be trusted. I can see everyone but Jon turning against her just as soon as the White Walker army has been destroyed (assuming they win).

Imprisonment of leaders can get you information not available anywhere else. For that one reason it is often prudent to hold them a bit before execution.

Sam asked Jon "Did you bend the knee to save the North? Or because you love her?" That question will be asked by others who don't trust her motives and practices as it's quite obvious they are a couple and Jon is rather smitten with her. Lady Mormont says it well "You left Winterfell a king and came back… I’m not sure what you are now. A lord? Nothing at all?" She doesn't appear to trust either at this point and I don't believe Sansa does either.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter

But anyways, Jon Snow being Rhegar’s legit son gives him a right to the thrown before Daenerys, and I don’t think she will like that. She’s thought all this time her brothers’ deaths made her the proper heir, as they didn’t father children. But Rhegar did, and no one knew except for Ned Stark, who is really Jon Snow’s uncle. Lyanna, Jon Snow’s mom, is Ned Stark’s sister.

Ahem... Howland Reed was with Ned when they fought Arthur Dayne at the Tower of Joy and found Lyanna after giving birth to Jon Snow. Howland Reed has been away in Greywater Watch since then and nobody’s seen him. But all of the northern lords have been summoned to Winterfell. They didn’t show Howland in season 8 ep. 1 (though maybe they did since we don’t know what he looks like) but he can corroborate what Sam and Bran are saying about Jon’s parents. My guess is Howland Reed and Meera Reed will show up soon to confirm Jon’s parents and Gilly or Sam will have the maester’s journal to prove that Rhaegar and Lyanna were married and Jon is legitimate.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Question, why Jon Snow is considered to be the next successor when there is Daenerys Targaryen? She is one generation higher and closer to be the successor.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Question, why Jon Snow is considered to be the next successor when there is Daenerys Targaryen? She is one generation higher and closer to be the successor.

I think the easy answer is primogeniture. The first heir is the oldest son and you skip past siblings unless there is no oldest son. Here’s the longer history if you care:

When Jamie Lannister killed the mad king Aerys Targaryen, the heir was his son, Rhaegar. Robert Baratheon killed Rhaegar and then set about trying to kill every Targaryen so that no people could rally around a Targaryen king and overthrow him. The Mountain killed Rhaegar’s wife, Elia Martell and her two infant children. All of this took place before the books/show began. But it can be pieced together with references in the books and now through Bran’s visions.

Nobody knew that Rhaegar and Elia’s marriage had been annulled (until Sam and Gilly found the maester’s journal in the Citadel) and so everyone beloved Rhaegar’s heir to be his brother, Viserys. Khal Drogo killed Viserys in season one with the golden crown, and people believed Danaerys to be the heir. But son of the king trumps sibling of the king. Jon is the legitimate son of Rhaegar, who was the heir.

Last edited:

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Was the last time we saw Ghost around the time of the Battle of the Bastards? He should still be in the North somewhere and close to Winterfell. Expecting Ghost and Nymeria to be involved in the battle with the white walkers and army of the dead.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks