What's new

Future proofing my new house (1 Viewer)

rtparies

Auditioning
Real Name
Randy
Hello,
I am building a new house and plan on putting in a wall mounted tv with in-wall speakers in my living room.

I want to run some kind of flex tube in the wall or something like that from the TV to a place where the components are going to be.

I would like to use something like a 2" flex tube that would give me some options with pulling power and cables in the future to the TV from the component section.

The problem is i am not sure what kind of box to use at each end. I would think there is something out there, but i must me using the wrong search terms.

Worse case i can cut a hole in the side of the plastic receptacle box be feels a little hacky

Thanks

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
For starters, you can’t run signal and power in the same tube. That’s against NEC (or whatever is similar in your country).

In my experience, you can’t pull additional cable in an existing conduit with more than one 90-degree turn. More turns than that, you need a junction box for each one, and the means to access those boxes in the future.

I’m not sure what kind of junction box is used with flex tube, but the vendor or manufacturer should be able to advise you.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
For starters, you can’t run signal and power in the same tube. That’s against NEC (or whatever is similar in your country).
You also open yourself up to all types of possible interference.

Hello,
I am building a new house and plan on putting in a wall mounted tv with in-wall speakers in my living room.

I want to run some kind of flex tube in the wall or something like that from the TV to a place where the components are going to be.

I would like to use something like a 2" flex tube that would give me some options with pulling power and cables in the future to the TV from the component section.

The problem is i am not sure what kind of box to use at each end. I would think there is something out there, but i must me using the wrong search terms.

Worse case i can cut a hole in the side of the plastic receptacle box be feels a little hacky

Thanks

Since HDMI specs seem to change every few years, you will likely want to run the highest speed cable possible but figure out a way to easily change it out if the specs change dramatically and/or the cable ever goes bad. To minimize damage to the actual connectors, I would also recommend using wall plates where the HDMI and other connectors can easily be switched out.
1629729998549.png
1629730024268.png

Also, since you said you are having this house built, if you have not planned to do so already, consult with an electrician familiar with home networking and have them pre-wire the house with at least CAT5e cabling and RJ45 outlets in every room. This is something my father is still kicking himself over for not doing when he had his house built 10 years ago.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
You also open yourself up to all types of possible interference.
Seems decidedly unlikely. Assuming good cable stock going in - junction boxes have covers, which would end up being the same as an unbroken conduit. Even if not, at worse it would be no different than running cable with no conduit, which is done all the time with no issues. Again, assuming quality cable stock.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks