What's new

Fugitive comes to DVD in a 33 disc set on Nov. 1st 2011 (3 Viewers)

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Gord Lacey said:
Just curious, but for those that have the set, how will you feel if the coming release of the set turns out to be better than the one you have?
Gord,
I would guess that it depends on one's definition as what's a better release between the recalled set and the re-release version.
If we had a poll here, the results would probably be interesting. I'd guess that some here bought the recalled set as an insurance policy, given the track record of CBS with this particular series release.
For me, the re-release would be better if they restored the 5-7 minute silent section in the backscore of S3's "Not Without a Whimper". That's the only episode we've heard that has a backscore section that appears to have been inadvertanly missed during the removal of the "Heyes" music and restoration of the original-aired que's.
- Juke box/pop-era tunes/band music: CBS has routinely removed this music from their releases due to clearance issues so unless they've made an exception with this particular series box set, the logical assumption would be to not expect episodal restoration of said music in this re-release. As Gary previously reported in his reviews, CBS apparently left some of this music intact in the recalled box set and given the absence of detailed information from CBS, one would expect that those pop-tunes will be removed in the upcoming box set release.
- Extras and/or possibile Rugolo estate issues: Everyone will look at this with their own preference of importance but this part of the re-release is my least-important parameter. I'll be happy if CBS does not remove anything from the S2-3 episode backscores that they restored in the recalled versions.
If the difference in the recalled version and the re-released version is only restoring the ~7 minutes of missing backscore from "Not Without a Whimper", but will remove those pop-tunes that (we're guessing) they inadvertantly missed removing from the recalled set, then which box set version will be considered better in the final analysis? It will depend on who you ask, imo.
Without information outside of the vague "techincal issues" news post from CBS, we will have to wait for either specific info or wait for someone to buy the re-release version and post dedtailed reviews.
Gord, the question that we've been asking about the recall is this: If the recall was only about additions and that the re-release will be a better version, then we wonder why the studio would hesitate to pass that infomation onto their customers. The only reason might be is that as we all know, plans can change and that's why most studios are reluctant to release specifics about an upcoming DVD set. However given the long road with this particular series (DVD/music issues), we were hoping for an exception in that policy this time around.
I still think that the re-release will be a situation of "give and take"; there will be additions and removals together. That's all I can say as of the current time. Perhaps that's changed but if so, it's been a fairly recent change in plans. Will that constitute an overall-better version with the re-released version? That'll depend on what's important to the individual collector.
Did CBS clear all pop-era tunes specifically for this one series? If so, that's great but we don't know that as they're not releasing information as to why they recalled the set.
Gord, the following is not repying to your post, but to a previous post in this thread.
To ask those questions is not considered CBS "bashing" imo, nor are most of these posts "wild 'net speculation". That's one poster's pov in this thread; it certainly isn't mine. Forums are intended for discussion, regardless of a member's issues with those of us that disagreed with their pov regarding the substituted music fiasco of years past. There's always diverse pov's.
To dismiss all of the inputs here as "anonomous", well, let's just say that some here do have information about this but have been asked not to post it as yet.

JLKINSER

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Kinser
I didn't get my set Gord so I am borrowing my friends who did get his. But, if it were me, and the re-released set came out witn more music restored, and nothing taken away, I would gladly buy it due to this is my favorite TV show. But, I am going to be honest here and say this too: If I was one of the lucky ones to have gotten the set, and they recalled it, I would have took the old Heyes DVD's and replaced them in the Most Wanted set and then sent it back. I look at it like this, it should have been this way from the start so I would gladly send them the set they SHOULD have recalled in the first place.
Does any one know what Season 1 episodes were changed? I know "The Garden House" has replaced music and "The Homecoming" does. Does any one else know of any other Season 1 Changes?

hypnohighball

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Sayers
stevelecher said:
It's amazing that while many of us don't have this set at all, others have two copies and can keep one sealed for collecting purposes. If you have this set and love the show in its original form, break it open and enjoy. It's better than I dared hope for.
I only bought 1 copy, but if I had bought 2 of course I would open one and enjoy it. I'm just waiting to open mine in case there IS something wrong with it and I need to exchange it for a "corrected" copy, if that ever happens, of course....:confused:
The silence from the studio concerning this "fiasco" is deafening to say the least.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Gord Lacey said:
Just curious, but for those that have the set, how will you feel if the coming release of the set turns out to be better than the one you have?
After my Amazon order was cancelled, I was fortunate enough to get it from Walmat. If it turns out that the recall was due to some defective nature in the disks that would result in some being bad now or going bad prematurely in the future then I would try to get CBS to replace it with the newer set.
Otherwise, I have no problem standing pat with what I have. Even if the new release has all original music restored. I already picked up, and later traded in the original volume releases to help pay for this complete release. As of yet, I've never seen it so I doubt I will notice any flaws that still may exist and to me they won't be worth the added expense of buying another set anyway. I obviously went for the recalled set instead of waiting as insurance against the possibility of it never being released again. Especially, since it appeared to be much improved over what I had at the time. So I am more then fine with what I have.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
hypnohighball said:
I only bought 1 copy, but if I had bought 2 of course I would open one and enjoy it. I'm just waiting to open mine in case there IS something wrong with it and I need to exchange it for a "corrected" copy, if that ever happens, of course....:confused:
The silence from the studio concerning this "fiasco" is deafening to say the least.
If there is something wrong with it why would you think it would have to be unopened to get a replacement? If it is fine but you just changed your mind then I can see keeping it unopened. Except that by the time you find out most places probably wouldn't take it back because it is past the return date. Given that it has been recalled and if a replacement is announced, I wouldn't think it would make a difference opened or sealed as far as getting a replacement since it has been deamed a flawed product that wasn't meant to be released.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Gord, at this point I don't see how anything will be better than what I've already got. I'm at an advantage in that I'm not aware of the specific problem with the one episode that is apparently missing music altogether for a seven minute stretch and thus, I don't have this air of self-consciousness about it. For me, the episodes I wanted to hear fixed have been fixed, and so nothing they put out at this point will make me want to exchange sets ever.

TheGreatOz

Second Unit
Real Name
Rod
There are one or two posters here who have learned some "inside info"...and I fully respect their desire for confidentiality.
Were it not for them, I would seriously question the actual re-release of this Box Set in its present form.**
The fact that they know some info about a "future" re-release, gives me hope that there will indeed be a Box Set.
**Don't forget, if history is a teacher, most "Complete Series" sets are usually just all the previous releases in a big slipcase.
My pappy used to say, "A watched pot never boils"...so, as soon as we stop speculating about this "Most Wanted Set," it will be announced the next day.
:laugh:

fstop107

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert Mulherin
I will believe it when I see if CBS re-releases the boxed set. We have nothing to lose by hanging onto to the recalled sets! Good luck.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
- I'll try to return it (which is one reason I haven't opened it).
- I'll be ticked at CBS for not releasing better information.
- And finally, I'll feel like I lost a $120 bet; which while annoying, isn't going to make me lose any sleep.

Walsh61

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garth Lough
Gord Lacey said:
I will be ecstatic. I mean this is what Fuge fans have been pushing for since June 2008. For me (and others) this show deserves a release that is as true to the original broadcast as possible. CBS has done some great work on some shows they've put out and "The Fugitive" should be added to that list!
I won't like that I had to buy two sets, but (for me at least) this show will be worth it.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I'll make a deal with CBS. I'll exchange sets if they also throw in a complete series restored version of "The Odd Couple" which in many respects suffered even worse than "The Fugitive" did (at least for Seasons 3-5)!

Catlady

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Catlady
I preordered and received the complete set from Amazon, duly opened it, and am in the process of viewing it. To date, Amazon has not asked for it back. I only have information about the recall and potential problems because I actively looked for information. If a new and improved set is released, I will consider the box set defective and expect replacement discs. I will be extremely angry if they are not offered.
But I don't really believe there will be a new and improved set.

TheGreatOz

Second Unit
Real Name
Rod
Catlady said:
...I don't really believe there will be a new and improved set.
It looks like we'll have to sit tight until (or if) "Box Set A" is re-released, then we'll continue to have patience while folks-in-the-know-musically audition "Box Set B". When the results are in, we'll see which Box Set wins. This may be an expensive horse race. :P

PatrickGoodluck

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
Jack P said:
I'll make a deal with CBS. I'll exchange sets if they also throw in a complete series restored version of "The Odd Couple" which in many respects suffered even worse than "The Fugitive" did (at least for Seasons 3-5)!
Couldn't agree more. Although, I must admit I bought neither The Fugitive or Odd Couple sets due to all the negative reviews I read from fans when they were newly released. So I thank those people for not letting me hastily purchasing these and wasting my money.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
I would just sell it on ebay if a better complete set came along. That's what I did with the individual volumes.
I too agree about "The Odd Couple." It would be great to see them do a complete series box that fixes the problems with the later seasons of that show. And how about "My Three Sons"???

JLKINSER

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Kinser
Hey, off the topic a little bit but, does any one know of any music changes in Season One. I know "The Garden House" and "The Homecoming" has music changes but does any one know of any other episodes that have changes?

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
A book seller on Ebay sold 23 NEW editions of this set on 30 Nov 11 at $26.52 per set. Needless to say...the first buyer that found the listing bought all 23 sets. Boy am I sick over this. He or she may be a member of this forum.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FAST-2DAY-UPS-NEW-FUGITIVE-COMPLETE-SERIES-BOXSET-/180763739542?pt=US_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray&hash=item2a165bc596

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ I'd have alot of trouble believing there's an auction that's $200 off the MSRP on an item that's a month old. The seller seems like a legit guy so I think he has the wrong item listed rather than offering a sealed, newly released set for 85% off. I think this will end up with the buyer getting a refund when the seller finds that he doesn't actually have the item in stock or he'll get a refund when he gets 23 copies of S1V2.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.