What's new

Fugitive comes to DVD in a 33 disc set on Nov. 1st 2011 (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Once again, I have to agree with Brad. He has never stated that he's sure the sets in question were the recalled sets. He's simply stated that nothing's impossible and that there is some chance, slim as it may be, that these sets really were the recalled ones. Why is that such a hard concept to grasp? Surely stranger things have happened on eBay. Is it likely these really were the massive complete sets? No, it's not likely. But does that automatically make it impossible? Not at all, imho.

Gary "no, I didn't order one of these and have no idea if it was legit or not - I'm only speaking theoretically" O.

marsnkc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrew
Of course nothing's impossible but, unless the eBay seller left off a 2 at the beginning of the price, or a 0 at the end, the likelihood of him selling these at the published price AND offering FREE 2 DAY UPS shipping is next to zero. The shipping alone would take care of a good chunk of 'profit' on these. Unless he's Santa, there was either a mistake made with the price, or he advertised the wrong 'set'.
(In the description box, the genre is listed as HORROR....!!!).
PS: It could also be a hack job. Some unhappy camper?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Gary OS said:
Once again, I have to agree with Brad.  He has never stated that he's sure the sets in question were the recalled sets.  He's simply stated that nothing's impossible and that there is some chance, slim as it may be, that these sets really were the recalled ones.  Why is that such a hard concept to grasp?
No one is having any trouble grasping the concept of anything being a possibility (I've even specifically said that). Where I have debated Brad is when he comes up with ideas of how the sets got to the eBay seller.

TheGreatOz

Second Unit
Real Name
Rod
TravisR said:
...ideas of how the sets got to the eBay seller.
I'm puzzled by the coincidence of the eBay Seller being in Kansas City, Kansas and Amazon's largest warehouse being in Coffeyville, Kansas.
Travis, you're in the basement. Go up to the 4th Floor and assign someone to look into this. :D

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
TravisR said:
No one is having any trouble grasping the concept of anything being a possibility (I've even specifically said that). Where I have debated Brad is when he comes up with ideas of how the sets got to the eBay seller.
Travis, this all started because I stated it wouldn't surprise me at all if these were actually the same sets that were recalled based on the irregularities of this release. It has never been my intent to explain how the sets got from point A to point B, but just to show that at this point no one else can provide evidence to show for a fact that they aren't the same sets. At least not with the information provided to date. All we know for a fact, is that there was a listing representing the title in question, that 23 were available, and based on the history that 23 were sold. We have that information to go on. Do we know that they were the item in question, No. Do we know that they were not the item in question, No.
Now logically, most question it as not possible based on a lot of assumptions. As valid as they might appear on the surface, they are still nothing but assumptions. I choose to see it at face value until shown otherwise with facts, not assumptions. That is where we differ. Now some like to throw out the old "if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is" as the basis for their assumptions. While true at times, there are always the exceptions.
For example:
If someone told me a few years back that I would be able to pick up the first six seasons of "24" for a total of around $25 at Best Buy. And this is before the heavy discounting that we get now and from Best Buy that has never been one of the better discounters. Based on logic and assumptions I would have said no way.
If someone told me a bunch of TV sets meant to be destroyed would end up dumped at Big Lots heavily discounted. Based on logic and assumptions I would have said no way.
If someone told me to wait to buy the Ben-Hur (50th Anniversary Ultimate Collector's Edition) [Blu-ray] less then three months after release because I could get it for $11 instead of the standard discount around the mid $40 range off list of $65. Based on logic and assumptions I would have said no way.
These are just a few examples. Anyone that frequents the bargain threads at various sites from time to time witnesses deals that seem to defy standard logic and assumptions. This instance could very well turn out to be either a scam or just a big mistake, but until more information is provided to dispute the only facts present to date, and based on what I have seen as unexpected bargains in the past, I personally see no reason to try and discount the possibility that the items were as advertised. Just my opinion and nothing more.

Kipp Teague

Stunt Coordinator
I believe that the most likely interpretation of CBS' characterization, "inadvertently manufactured with discs that have potential technical issues," is that the rights to use the restored music cues are again in question. That is, I don't think the set would have been recalled for any other reason than a legal one.
Those of you who received early copies of the set may end up being the only ones who ultimately get to enjoy The Fugitive on DVD as it was meant to be enjoyed...with its original background music (or at least, nearly all of the original).

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
Kipp Teague said:
I believe that the most likely interpretation of CBS' characterization, "inadvertently manufactured with discs that have potential technical issues," is that the rights to use the restored music cues are again in question. That is, I don't think the set would have been recalled for any other reason than a legal one.
Those of you who received early copies of the set may end up being the only ones who ultimately get to enjoy The Fugitive on DVD as it was meant to be enjoyed...with its original background music (or at least, nearly all of the original).
If that is the case...I WON'T be buying the re-release. I suspect none of us would.
kamikaze.gif

TheGreatOz

Second Unit
Real Name
Rod
To further wonderment as to why the Box Set was recalled, AMAZON has the Rugolo Soundtrack CD available once again, albeit as a CD-R of the original:
http://www.amazon.com/Fugitive-Pete-Rugolo/dp/B003FSU0CC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1323541185&sr=8-2
Now, it looks like the Bonus CD may not have been the "technical" issue after all, raising more questions than answers.
:P

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
A couple of us have been saying it wasn't the bonus disc since the beginning. In fact, one or two of us have been trying to tell everyone what the basic issue is. He who has ears to hear...

Gary "I'm telling you (the collective "you" in this thread, not anyone in particular) that the issue is still about the backscore in episodes" O.

Catlady

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Catlady
TheGreatOz said:
To further wonderment as to why the Box Set was recalled, AMAZON has the Rugolo Soundtrack CD available once again, albeit as a CD-R of the original:
http://www.amazon.com/Fugitive-Pete-Rugolo/dp/B003FSU0CC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1323541185&sr=8-2
Now, it looks like the Bonus CD may not have been the "technical" issue after all, raising more questions than answers.
:P
The CD-R version of the soundtrack has been available all along. It's the mp3s that were pulled at some point and are still unavailable.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Brad, regarding the previous eBay debate, I'm with you on that one. Until some member here buys the supposedly "bogus" eBay recalled box sets, and provides a detailed review that proves that the sellers are selling bogus sets, you get my vote for winning the debate. Considering that Walmart and a couple others had been selling the 1st sets for a couple of weeks, we don't know how many of these were sold. Certainly there were more than a few sets that made it out there.
3326n7t.jpg

"Place your bets"
2ywyek1.jpg
on the reason for the recall. I'm staying with the episode-backscore reason. The main point as to why: Unless CBS specifically cleared pop-era tunes for this one box set/series, and that's not their usual method of operation for their dvd releases, then they inadertantly restored almost all of the pop-era tunes in S2-3 (which has been verified by some ppl's posts here) and they realized that after the initial release of the set to the distributors. I believe this was one of the reasons for the recall. I'm 99% sure as well that another reason for the recall was due to the reviewers here that discovered the ~7-8 minute missing backscore in the episode "Not Without a Whimper".
Unless we think that CBS made an exception in their normal pop-tunes removals in studio DVD releases for for a one-time series set, then it's going to be "give and take" with the 2nd box set.
There may be some removals from the extras (ie, CD) due to the unexpected passing of Rugolo (estate issues) but I don't know about that at this time. There also may be additional extras, maybe more Janssen interviews back in the day.

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
Gary OS said:
A couple of us have been saying it wasn't the bonus disc since the beginning.  In fact, one or two of us have been trying to tell everyone what the basic issue is.  He who has ears to hear...  :D
Gary "I'm telling you (the collective "you" in this thread, not anyone in particular) that the issue is still about the backscore in episodes" O.
Spell it out for me Gary...please. Thanks.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy Wall /t/313960/fugitive-comes-to-dvd-in-a-33-disc-set-on-nov-1st/780#post_3878339
Spell it out for me Gary...please. Thanks.
I've shared my thoughts on the recall several times in this thread already. Suffice to say I think Jeff has it right with what he said above.

Gary "time will tell all" O.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Jeff Willis said:
Considering that Walmart and a couple others had been selling the 1st sets for a couple of weeks, we don't know how many of these were sold. Certainly there were more than a few sets that made it out there.
So you think that someone buying 23 sets at Wal Mart for about $150 each and selling them for a $3,000 loss a month later is more likely than the auction listing being an error? I realize that many people in this thread somehow do think that's possible but it makes no sense.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
So you think that someone buying 23 sets at Wal Mart for about $150 each and selling them for a $3,000 loss a month later is more likely than the auction listing being an error? I realize that many people in this thread somehow do think that's possible but it makes no sense.
What I think is more likely than either of those, is that somebody got a hold of some of the returned stock before it was destroyed and made a few bucks.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Al.Anderson said:
What I think is more likely than either of those, is that somebody got a hold of some of the returned stock before it was destroyed and made a few bucks.
Theft is the only reasonable possibility for how this seller would have 23 copies and sell them for $26 but I'm definitely inclined to rule that out too. If it was a new account or a guy with erratic eBay activity over the years and not an eBay store with a nearly 18,000 feedback, I'd say that maybe it was a guy who got stolen DVDs and was just unaware that he had a potential collector's item. However, the store does business on a very large volume (I'd bet that less than 1% of everyone on eBay has a feedback number that large) so he would likely only be dealing with legitimate distributors rather than a guy who 'found' some merchandise.
Even if the seller had stolen merchandise and didn't know that the set was recalled, the nature of his business strongly indicates that he would realize that a series set is worth alot more than $26 so he'd find out what the MSRP was and charge a price based on that. If he's willing to commit a crime to get merchandise, he's very likely going to try to make as much money as he can rather than make a smaller amount than he could with a couple of minutes of investigation of the MSRP and also draw attention to himself by offering an amazing deal at the same time.
(Edited to clarify a point)

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
I know you guys will burn me at the stake for saying this...but I'll be happy if the Pop Music is the only issue....just so my Rugolo notes and library cues are there in the re-release.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Al.Anderson said:
Except the stock isn't being destroyed. It's being recalled, fixed, then put back out into the marketplace. That is a fact, not a guess.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by TravisR /t/313960/fugitive-comes-to-dvd-in-a-33-disc-set-on-nov-1st/780#post_3878376

Come on. Don't insult Jeff's intelligence with that type of silly remark. He's clearly not postulating that it happened that way. In fact he hasn't said H-O-W it could happen, or even that it definitely did happen. This discussion is now getting really ridiculous.

Gary "I don't disagree with you Roy, although I'd like to have it all (Pop music included - but I'm almost positive that's part of the reason for the recall)" O.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.