What's new

Fugitive comes to DVD in a 33 disc set on Nov. 1st 2011 (1 Viewer)

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
I hope you are right Travis because I'm jealous.
blowup.gif

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
It wouldn't surprise me at all if they were the real deal. It is quite possible that someone, not knowing the real value to fans, got a hold of several copies of a recalled item to dump for what they could get for it. To many, an item recalled does not have much value, and if they followed what CBS put out they could very well think they had to sell it on the "cheap". Now take others that have been following the story, seeing this ad as too good to be true and ignoring it. Finally, one person taking a fly on it and finding that it is the real deal buys them all up as an investment for future sales. I agree Roy, the description is too spot on to be a mistake in my mind. Unfortunate for the ebay seller they didn't know what the had. Otherwise, they could have listed it for more and would probably have made a nice profit.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
smithb said:
It wouldn't surprise me at all if they were the real deal. It is quite possible that someone, not knowing the real value to fans, got a hold of several copies of a recalled item to dump for what they could get for it. To many, an item recalled does not have much value, and if they followed what CBS put out they could very well think they had to sell it on the "cheap". Now take others that have been following the story, seeing this ad as too good to be true and ignoring it. Finally, one person taking a fly on it and finding that it is the real deal buys them all up as an investment for future sales. I agree Roy, the description is too spot on to be a mistake in my mind. Unfortunate for the ebay seller they didn't know what the had. Otherwise, they could have listed it for more and would probably have made a nice profit.
That listing is a stock listing that eBay provides when you enter in that UPC number. The number is 097360680041. You can enter it on eBay right now and have the same exact product details that the seller provided. The information that the seller actually provided (the store name, that it's authentic, that he's PayPal verified, etc) is the only thing that he wrote himself and he says nothing about the specific item.
The most likely scenario is that the seller had the series set UPC number in his inventory and mistakenly entered it as this auction. If someone is selling a sealed $225 set that is a month old for $26, the items are either bootlegs, stolen, pulled out of a trash can, not what was listed, a very expensive error on the part of the seller and it's probably not something that he had in-stock anyway.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
TravisR said:
That listing is a stock listing that eBay provides when you enter in that UPC number. The number is 097360680041. You can enter it on eBay right now and have the same exact product details that the seller provided. The information that the seller actually provided (the store name, that it's authentic, that he's PayPal verified, etc) is the only thing that he wrote himself and he says nothing about the specific item.
The most likely scenario is that the seller had the series set UPC number in his inventory and mistakenly entered it as this auction. If someone is selling a sealed $225 set that is a month old for $26, the items are either bootlegs, stolen, pulled out of a trash can, not what was listed, a very expensive error on the part of the seller and it's probably not something that he had in-stock anyway.
Yes, but this isn't just your everyday $225 set being sold a month later for $26. this is a set that has been officially recalled by the manufacturer. Where the manufacturer's has referenced some sort of issue/defect resulting in the recall. It has been offically removed from all vendors. That in itself can make the product appear more valuable to some and as basically junk to be dumped by another. In addition, the ad was there until sold for several days, You might think someone would correct an error by that time. And the listing of 23 items, an odd number if you didn't have product. Finally, I believe the listing stating all items as sold. All that leaves the door open in my mind that it may have actualy been the real deal. Although not a good one for the seller, if the case.

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
The old adage: If it's too good to be true, it usually isn't. I hope the buyer gets all of them at that price. I'm a buyer for the set at the right, fair price. I bought a set on Ebay and then had to send a few E-mails to get my refund when they couldn't ship.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
stevelecher said:
The old adage: If it's too good to be true, it usually isn't. I hope the buyer gets all of them at that price. I'm a buyer for the set at the right, fair price. I bought a set on Ebay and then had to send a few E-mails to get my refund when they couldn't ship.
The keyword there "USUALLY". In the end, unless the buyer or seller lets us know it is all just speculation on our part. I just wasn't ready to dismiss it as beyond possibility.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by smithb /t/313960/fugitive-comes-to-dvd-in-a-33-disc-set-on-nov-1st/750#post_3877065
The keyword there "USUALLY". In the end, unless the buyer or seller lets us know it is all just speculation on our part. I just wasn't ready to dismiss it as beyond possibility.
Exactly. While it might be improbable, it's not impossible. This is especially true when it comes to eBay sellers.

Gary "its entirely possible someone really did get a great deal" O.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
smithb said:
Yes, but this isn't just your everyday $225 set being sold a month later for $26. this is a set that has been officially recalled by the manufacturer. Where the manufacturer's has referenced some sort of issue/defect resulting in the recall. It has been offically removed from all vendors.
You're basically saying that the seller would have decided that instead of returning the sets to CBS/Paramount for a full refund of their money that they'd choose to sell them off at a tremendous loss. Yes, it's possible that an error can occur and the consumer can take advantage of that but the likelihood of someone not catching it or them honoring an error that costs them more than $100 per set is next to nothing in my mind.
That being said, I don't blame anyone for going for it just in case. Based on the feedback, the seller is reputable and Stevelecher's last post saying that he got a refund backs that up so it's not like anyone lost their money.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
TravisR said:
You're basically saying that the seller would have decided that instead of returning the sets to CBS/Paramount for a full refund of their money that they'd choose to sell them off at a tremendous loss. Yes, it's possible that an error can occur and the consumer can take advantage of that but the likelihood of someone not catching it or them honoring an error that costs them more than $100 per set is next to nothing in my mind.
That being said, I don't blame anyone for going for it just in case. Based on the feedback, the seller is reputable and Stevelecher's last post saying that he got a refund backs that up so it's not like anyone lost their money.
Your assuming that they got the sets directly from CBS/Paramount. You are assuming the person lost money on the deal. When items get dumped they can change hands a few times before ever making it to the consumer, or where ever they are intended. Take the Big Lot's sale once upon a time where I believe items showed up for sale at a large discount that were originally intended to be scapped. Point is we have no more information on where these sets (if real sets) came from then we have on why the set was recalled from CBS/Paramount in the first place. Based on that, I make no assumptions and can believe about anything as possible at this point. I'm not arguing that they were legit, just saying there is no evidence to discount the possibility.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
smithb said:
Your assuming that they got the sets directly from CBS/Paramount. You are assuming the person lost money on the deal. When items get dumped they can change hands a few times before ever making it to the consumer, or where ever they are intended.
But at one month old, the sets either came from a distributor of CBS/Paramount's DVDs or they were stolen from them or their distributor. Given the volume of business that the seller does, he's buying from a legitimate distributor (i.e. he's not buying stolen merchandise). No $225 MSRP set goes straight to clearance at Big Lots, etc. so at $26 on a newly released item, someone would have been taking a huge loss.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
TravisR said:
But at one month old, the sets either came from a distributor of CBS/Paramount's DVDs or they were stolen from them or their distributor. Given the volume of business that the seller does, he's buying from a legitimate distributor (i.e. he's not buying stolen merchandise). No $225 MSRP set goes straight to clearance at Big Lots, etc. so at $26 on a newly released item, someone would have been taking a huge loss.
Again...these are recalled sets that in itself is not the norm and so standrad logic need not always apply. Especially, given the odd circumstances that has followed this release. Besides, this is not a discussion that can be decided in this thread without actually hearing from a potential buyer or the seller. So I see no real point to continue the debate. You see it as not being possible, while I make no assumptions and leave the door open. Given the number of people who still don't have the set, just maybe someone here took the gamble and will report their findings. Other than that what else is there to say.

hypnohighball

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Sayers
Did anyone consider emailing/contacting the Ebay seller and asking them what exactly they were selling? I find it hard to believe this new, albeit recalled dvd set sold for $26 with free 2 day shipping to boot, much less a total of 23 copies! The mind boggles..... :eek:

TheGreatOz

Second Unit
Real Name
Rod
smithb said:
TravisR said:
So I see no real point to continue the debate.

I'm waiting for a response to my inquiry of the seller.

Meanwhile, here's something to think about.
One of Amazon's largest warehouses is in Coffeyville, Kansas.
Where's the seller located? :D

TheGreatOz

Second Unit
Real Name
Rod
Dead-end reply to my question requesting details of the "bargain" Fugitive Box Sets:
"Thank you for contacting us.
We have sent this email because your user id was not matched as a customer in our database
(Updates every 4 hours)."
It went on to discuss shipping problems and solutions.
:rolleyes:

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
Well....some one thought it was legit and bought them all....regardless of what they were. I guess you can watch buyer/seller feedback in the near future to see if a true clue exists.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
smithb said:
Again...these are recalled sets that in itself is not the norm and so standrad logic need not always apply.
Except these sets aren't being dumped.
Let's say they same from a store named "SuperAwesome." SuperAwesome decided to order 40 sets, and they receive them before the notice of the recall. They pay $150 for each set, and decide to sell them for $225. They've paid CBS/Paramount for those sets. If there's a recall then CBS/Paramount takes the sets back, and they receive a refund. You're implying that SuperAwesome got the recall notice and decided to dump the sets into the marketplace for next to nothing. Why would they do that when CBS/Paramount would refund them everything they paid for them? This isn't a scenario like the BigLots case, where items that were sent to be destroyed ended up being out in the marketplace - these sets would have been paid for by someone, somewhere, and that same person/company could get their entire purchase price refunded by the studio.
Sorry Brad, but what you're proposing makes absolutely no sense.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Gord Lacey said:
Except these sets aren't being dumped.
Let's say they same from a store named "SuperAwesome." SuperAwesome decided to order 40 sets, and they receive them before the notice of the recall. They pay $150 for each set, and decide to sell them for $225. They've paid CBS/Paramount for those sets. If there's a recall then CBS/Paramount takes the sets back, and they receive a refund. You're implying that SuperAwesome got the recall notice and decided to dump the sets into the marketplace for next to nothing. Why would they do that when CBS/Paramount would refund them everything they paid for them? This isn't a scenario like the BigLots case, where items that were sent to be destroyed ended up being out in the marketplace - these sets would have been paid for by someone, somewhere, and that same person/company could get their entire purchase price refunded by the studio.
Sorry Brad, but what you're proposing makes absolutely no sense.
No, I never proposed that happened in this case. All I was presenting was that odd things have happened in the past leading to sets being available for lower then expected prices. And that this set does not necessarily follow the logic of a typical release due to the recall and lack of follow on information. I also never stated that they were obtained through normal channels.
This all started because of an assumption that these couldn't possibly have been the same sets as were recalled because of the extremely discounted pricing making it too good of a deal to be true. But a listing was made, the product appears to match, and 23 items appear to have been sold. I was just highlighting that strange things have happened before, and that I thought it was premature to assume these couldn't have been the product listed.
Do you have information to state that these weren't the product as described? Can you tell us what CBS did with the recalled product? Is it impossible that some could have been mishandled and made there way out for sale? I'm familar with gray market items in electronics, does that happen with DVD's, and could someone have got stuck with product they couldn't return because they weren't the original vendor and the original vendor wouldn't take them back?
My comments were never meant to conclusively state they were the same product, or how they could have been obtained and sold at that price, but to just say that I didn't think there was enough information to just assume it was a mistake. That said, this has gotten way to much play, and unless some new information becomes available I think we should just get back to the more interesting hypotheticals, like what really happened with the recall, will it ever be released and when, and what will the next release include.

TheGreatOz

Second Unit
Real Name
Rod
Roy Wall said:
Well....I guess you can watch buyer/seller feedback in the near future to see if a true clue exists.
I studied all the Feedback since November 30 for this Seller. Not a clue, especially since all sales are PRIVATE. That means no item listings. You would have to see a comment like, "Thanks! All 33 discs arrived safely" or "I loved The Fugitive and now I have all four Seasons."
I don't think that's going to happen.
Somehow, after receiving a bogus Form Email to my specific inquiry about the Box Set, this eBay listing doesn't pass the smell test. I even asked, "Will you be getting any more Complete Sets?"
This is a Mackerel in the Moonlight. :td:

TheGreatOz

Second Unit
Real Name
Rod
I wonder if CBS/Paramount might be able to get an email response from that eBay Seller?
Anyone interested in being a Dog in the Manger? :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.