What's new

Fox Studio Classics - complete release details (1 Viewer)

Billy Fogerty

Stunt Coordinator
How about "SHE WORE A YELLOW RIBBON" ? Probably one of the greatest westerns ever made,along with the SEARCHERS.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Regarding "Clementine": let's hope that both versions (John Ford's cut and the released studio version) are on the same disc, a la Warners' release of "The Big Sleep". As for me, I'm STILL waiting for "Valley of The Dolls" (with Judy Garland's tests for her aborted turn as Helen Lawson), and Russ Meyer's "Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls" along with some of the great Fox melodramas of the fifties like "Peyton Place" and "The Best Of Everything".

Christopher*KH

Stunt Coordinator
I am not sure if you could or would consider MAGIC starring Anthony Hopkins a classic but I read somewhere that is was a 2oth Century FOX product and I think it would be nice to have it on DVD. I remeber the ads on TV when I was a kid and it gave me the creeps with the "dummy". I read at IMDB that it was at one time or another on LD so... hopefully DVD may come someday soon.

JohnDMoore

Stunt Coordinator
I know it's no surprise but I'm still just excited that "The Grapes of Wrath" is on there.
I've heard good things about "Inn of Sixth Happiness" so I might pick it up.
Others, I'll do some research on.
Is this line going to continue into 2004?

Randall Dorr

Second Unit
This blows.

I'd love to get Sunrise, but the only "must have" title for me is The Day the Earth Stood Still.

I don't understand why the hell FOX can't make Sunrise available by itself. They can still have the deal: Buy three FOX Classics, get Sunrise free. That's quite a bargain for a lot of people.

But some of us aren't interested in three or more of those listed films. I am totally willing to pay money for Sunrise, but I'm not willing to pay for two titles I don't want, even if it means Sunrise is free.

Brian E

Screenwriter
List seems kinda small, I thought there were going to be more titles than that.

Yep, went and searched a found this quote from Crawdaddy.

"Sorry, but that is the point! Fox is releasing at least 36 films in their classic dvd releases next year. Out of those 36 films, most people will find at least three films they would want in order to get the "Sunrise" dvd."

Robert, do you know then if there are more titles than listed at the start of this thread?

Thanks

rbirk

Stunt Coordinator
So if I understand this correctly I have to send Fox my original receipt? I, for sure, do not want to do this as it might be required in the future for returns etc. Then from some internet sites, you only get email confirmation. What do you do then, you print out your own "original"?

Last, I am very disappointed that you have to cut out holes on your insert sheet in order to get Sunshine. So in order to have nice copies at home you will have to buy an extra three copies of the movies just to get the proof-of-purchase tabs and then throw these copies away. I am very disappointed with this.

Ron Birk

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
That's a great list, for a start!
Did anybody notice the Criterion like numbering system that FOX has adopted for this series?
Yes, I surely did!
I already received the no. 1 (All About Eve, and I'm awaiting How Green Was My Valley).
Sunrise is not going to be a problem for me (and I intend to ask my US e-tailer for help if necessary).
Cees

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I'm very surprised that the list was small in numbers because I know several more classic films are being released by Fox this year including "My Darling Clementine" with both versions and "The Song of Bernadette". The reasons as to why such a small selected list of titles in this promotion will have to be answered by Peter Staddon and Fox. Until I hear a definitive word from Fox, the possibility exists that other titles might be added to this promotion as they become available to dvd. Right now I'm just guessing, but Fox is restoring a bunch of titles which might have squeezed their timeline, so they announced the titles they're sure are ready for this dvd promotion. I received the last of the first three titles yesterday and will be sending off my documentation for the "Sunrise" dvd this week. Each title has a AMC Backstory feature which should be interesting along with audio commentary from a surviving cast member like Celeste Holm and Anna Lee.

Crawdaddy

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I suspect that Fox will be offering a lot more fifties and forties oldies that are NOT part of the classics package.
IF so, someone please answer a qestion I have asked over and over - are we getting the Egyptian and Prince of Foxes this year?
Peter Staddon, for your release of Song of Bernadette - The Overture and Exit music was found several years ago and this is on the soundtrack CD on Varese Sarabande label - please use these for your dVD.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I suspect that Fox will be offering a lot more fifties and forties oldies that are NOT part of the classics package.
That seems to be exactly right. We know Journey to the Center of the Earth is coming soon and is not part of the Studio Classics series - neither does it have much in the way of extras. It seems that the Studio Classics are all extras packed so other films such as Song of Bernadette probably have few, if any, extras.

StevenA

Second Unit
I'm looking forward to hearing from the first people to receive Sunrise, as I'm hoping it will be packaged decently and not just shipped in a cardboard sleeve.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
has anybody from the UK or other parts of the world sent in their Sunrise vouchers to Fox.

What is the address by the way of Fox

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
comic sans
Does anyone know if "VALLEY OF THE DOLLS" or "PEYTON
PLACE" from FOX are ever arriving on DVD ???
Thanks-
Alan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks