What's new

Fox's evolution of "tv on dvd" to "tv on dvd-mod" (1 Viewer)

Jenny Peerey

Agent
Real Name
Jenny
I want a disc. I hate PRIME mess. I like DVD's so that I can watch them on my large screen TVs and not on a little laptop screen. I am a DVD collector. I see that FOX finally released "The Resident" Season 2 to DVD a couple of days ago and I have already ordered my copy of it. Now, just waiting on 9-1-1 Season 2 to be released to disc.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I want a disc. I hate PRIME mess. I like DVD's so that I can watch them on my large screen TVs and not on a little laptop screen. I am a DVD collector. I see that FOX finally released "The Resident" Season 2 to DVD a couple of days ago and I have already ordered my copy of it. Now, just waiting on 9-1-1 Season 2 to be released to disc.

Welcome to the boards here, Jenny! Just thought I'd say that first, and then say that you're like a lot of us who enjoy our entertainment more on discs than on streaming services, especially as there's far more choices of DVD releases than there is on streaming nowadays.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Strange discussion, not everything is on Blu-ray so I will of course still buy TV shows on DVD. Streaming you'd never catch me buying.

Jenny Peerey

Agent
Real Name
Jenny
I am still waiting for "9-1-1" Season 2 to be released on DVD! I really wish they would give us some hint of when they might release it. I was finally able to get my other favorite show "The Resident." Season 2 was finally released. But, it is on those MOD things and won't play in just any device. Those won't play on 2 of my Panasonic machines or in my laptop. The strange thing that both these programs released their Season 1 on a regular DVD and they play everywhere. Don't know why FOX is doing this but I don't like it!

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
One current show which I suspect will not be released on dvd or dvd-mod at all, is the ABC owned show Stumptown.

Apparently Stumptown has lots of music in every episode so far, which would require extensive licensing for a possible dvd release. (Sorta similar to what possibly happened with Cold Case which also had lots of music every episode).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I take it that that's because the servers on which such streams are hosted can be shut down at any time, and you'll never get to enjoy it again?

(On a tangent).

Flat rate streaming vod is not an issue for me. Most stuff has very little to no rewatch value for me, after a first viewing. Basically not much different than watching normal television.

Permanent downloads and/or drm video files, basically places the onus on me where I have to provide the disc storage space and dealing with encryption keys. If I have to deal with these headaches, then I mind as well buy the dvd/bluray discs (if available).

Jenny Peerey

Agent
Real Name
Jenny
The current Fox shows where there have been no announcements yet for season 2 dvd (or bluray) sets are:

- The Orville
- 9-1-1
- Mayans MC
- Lost In Space reboot

Under the Disney regime, in principle they're all vulnerable to going dvd-mod or outright discontinued for season 2.
- Current Fox (or MGM) shows which are still being released as general dvd releases. Though a few might be wavering, such as Modern Family.

Archer
Handmaid's Tale
Family Guy
9-1-1
This Is Us
American Horror Story

Fargo
Modern Family
Homeland

- Fox (or MGM) shows which completed on dvd during the 2010s, which didn't go dvd-mod.

The Americans
Bones
How I Met Your Mother
The Strain
X-Files
Teen Wolf
Sleepy Hollow
Prison Break
Sons of Anarchy
The League
Glee
White Collar
Arrested Development
Burn Notice
Futurama
Lie To Me

Jenny Peerey

Agent
Real Name
Jenny
One current show which I suspect will not be released on dvd or dvd-mod at all, is the ABC owned show Stumptown.

Apparently Stumptown has lots of music in every episode so far, which would require extensive licensing for a possible dvd release. (Sorta similar to what possibly happened with Cold Case which also had lots of music every episode).
I read where Stumptown has been cancelled. I don't watch it it but that I did read this past week

Jenny Peerey

Agent
Real Name
Jenny
What I would love is for 9-1-1 Season 3 to be released to DVD. I finally was able to get a set of Season 2 but had to get it from China. And I don't mind. It's clear and English Subtitled which is essential for me. I was able to get the Season 3 from the same place but there were no Subtitles or CC at all which a necessity for me! I don't know why FOX just released a studio set of Season 1 and then stopped there. If anyone has any more info, I would love to have it.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I just assume any current/recent shows owned by Disney/Fox, is a lost cause.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I have to laugh at the DVD vs. Blu argument over quality. If the general public cared about quality, they wouldn't be watching the shows on phones and computers. Fact is, they don't, hence DVD marches on.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It’s not that the general public doesn’t care about quality - if they didn’t care at all we’d still be watching NTSC signals over rabbit ears and movies on VHS. It’s more that the newer formats like DVD were such an improvement over what preceded them that their needs are being met. Another point concerns viewing distance. Most people sit much further from their televisions than the recommended viewing distance relative to size, and from the distances they normally sit, the difference between well mastered content in SD, HD and UHD becomes more negligible.

I don't know why FOX just released a studio set of Season 1 and then stopped there.

The most likely answer is simply that the first season didn’t meet sales expectations and did not merit the release of additional seasons. There’s a gigantic paradigm shift happening and the way most people consume entertainment is changing. Twenty years ago, a show would premiere on a broadcast network, each episode would play once, maybe twice, and then if you wanted to see them again, you had to wait until the season ended for a disc to be released. The big change now is that content never really goes away. If you miss one episode, you can go to the on demand section of your cable box and see it there for free. Or if you stream, you can see it on the network’s website, their apps, and on services like Hulu. Once the season is over, it’ll likely be licensed to another streaming service and appear there. This means that the average consumer, the one that drives sales and dictates the marketplace and generally is only interested in seeing a thing once, can easily access that content without needing the disc, which then dramatically reduces the demand for the disc.

Jenny Peerey

Agent
Real Name
Jenny
Well, "The Resident" which is my other favorite show just a couple of months ago, released their 3rd Season on DVD MOD. Season 2 of that show is MOD as well. The First Season like 9-1-1 was released on studio DVD. So, I'm not clear why 9-1-1 didn't get the same treatment. I guess they all wanted to go cheapo on us. It really irritates me. I don't mind the MOD's too much except they don't play in all my devices. I have 2 Panasonic units that won't play the MOD's at all but can on 2 other player's I can. Weird!

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Another point concerns viewing distance. Most people sit much further from their televisions than the recommended viewing distance relative to size, and from the distances they normally sit, the difference between well mastered content in SD, HD and UHD becomes more negligible.

This is especially the case when one is also just playing/watching stuff in the background, and not paying complete full attention to the tv screen.

Jenny Peerey

Agent
Real Name
Jenny
I have to laugh at the DVD vs. Blu argument over quality. If the general public cared about quality, they wouldn't be watching the shows on phones and computers. Fact is, they don't, hence DVD marches on.
I watch NOTHING on a computer or a phone! I don't go for the streaming mess either1! I want a physical disk that I can put in my DVD players and watch on a TV! That's why I have 2 large screen TV's in my house!

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Well, I've yet to see a solicitation for This is Us season 4, which is one of their highest-profile shows, so maybe.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I watch NOTHING on a computer or a phone! I don't go for the streaming mess either1! I want a physical disk that I can put in my DVD players and watch on a TV! That's why I have 2 large screen TV's in my house!

Pretty much the way I am as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks