1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Fox's evolution of "tv on dvd" to "tv on dvd-mod"

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by jcroy, Aug 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Jenny Peerey

Jenny Peerey Auditioning

Jenny
    I want a disc. I hate PRIME mess. I like DVD's so that I can watch them on my large screen TVs and not on a little laptop screen. I am a DVD collector. I see that FOX finally released "The Resident" Season 2 to DVD a couple of days ago and I have already ordered my copy of it. Now, just waiting on 9-1-1 Season 2 to be released to disc.

bmasters9 likes this.
  2. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Welcome to the boards here, Jenny! Just thought I'd say that first, and then say that you're like a lot of us who enjoy our entertainment more on discs than on streaming services, especially as there's far more choices of DVD releases than there is on streaming nowadays.

3. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
  4. HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow Screenwriter

Henry.
    Strange discussion, not everything is on Blu-ray so I will of course still buy TV shows on DVD. Streaming you'd never catch me buying.

bmasters9 likes this.
  5. Jenny Peerey

Jenny Peerey Auditioning

Jenny
    I am still waiting for "9-1-1" Season 2 to be released on DVD! I really wish they would give us some hint of when they might release it. I was finally able to get my other favorite show "The Resident." Season 2 was finally released. But, it is on those MOD things and won't play in just any device. Those won't play on 2 of my Panasonic machines or in my laptop. The strange thing that both these programs released their Season 1 on a regular DVD and they play everywhere. Don't know why FOX is doing this but I don't like it!

6. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

7. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    I take it that that's because the servers on which such streams are hosted can be shut down at any time, and you'll never get to enjoy it again?

8. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    One current show which I suspect will not be released on dvd or dvd-mod at all, is the ABC owned show Stumptown.

Apparently Stumptown has lots of music in every episode so far, which would require extensive licensing for a possible dvd release. (Sorta similar to what possibly happened with Cold Case which also had lots of music every episode).

9. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    (On a tangent).

Flat rate streaming vod is not an issue for me. Most stuff has very little to no rewatch value for me, after a first viewing. Basically not much different than watching normal television.

Permanent downloads and/or drm video files, basically places the onus on me where I have to provide the disc storage space and dealing with encryption keys. If I have to deal with these headaches, then I mind as well buy the dvd/bluray discs (if available).

bmasters9 likes this.