Folded Horns?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Allen Ross, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

How come this isn't widely used with subs and giant stacks (mains) in home theater?

From what I have read it greatly increases the sensitivity of the driver. The only draw back would be a rather large box with a huge mouth.

I know it won't get that deep nothing really below 30, but i think it would be great for music

2. Fred Seger

Fred Seger Stunt Coordinator

Reasons most people don't use horns.

1) Construction complexity. Easier to build a square box than a tractrix profile horn.
    2) Size - like you mentioned
    3) Design - a new set of calculations and equations are needed.
    4) Limited drivers

with that said - I love my LAB horn subwoofer. and my TQWT sounds pretty decent - still fiddling with them. and I have a midbass and tweeter horn set in the works.

BTW my sub with a extension on it is good to about 25 HZ before it drops like a rock.

3. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I say a good reason for not seeing many horn subs is because they can be overkill for home applications.

If you want a sub that is good for music, listen to stereo "H" style dipoles. It'll probably sound better due to the way it reacts with the room. Dipoles are like the opposite of horns in sensitivity and size and seem to suit some people fine for output.

Given a situation where immense output is needed for music I see Horn subs a lot more useful.

In a home theater, people like loud and deep extension to the 20s. This is why ppl choose deep tuning/big box/long throw subs, etc. A horn sub that can physically "amplify" the bass to deep frequencies in the 20s means it has to be HUGE... I do see the benefit of horns to be the enormous headroom for the frequencies it can play.

4. Allen Ross

5. Rob Formica

Rob Formica Stunt Coordinator

6. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

The LAB subwoofer can probably have huge output to 30Hz, but it is after all about 4x4x2 feet and designed to be used in groups...

7. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

I think on forums like this you'll find many willing to accept the somewhat esoteric designs like ML-TQWT, horns, Voigt pipes, etc. and the fact that they can be superior in many respects. Where you won't find acceptance is in the general public. Most people like little square boxes or just square boxes in general. The idea of tall skinny triangles or things that look like giant megaphones is just too weird. Horn at VSAC 2003

8. Allen Ross

NOW THAT IS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT

9. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

I am totally interested in this subject. One horn loudspeaker that looks cool is the UNITY horn. I can't get a link at the moment. Search Google and you would find it. Is it really that important to get woofers designed for horn loading? I sure would like just use a couple DPL12s or a Tempest. Even better would be the Maelstrom or anything with XBL^2. THAT WOULD ROCK!

10. TimForman

11. Allen Ross

does anyone know of plan for a horn loaded tempest? i have some time off from school and MDF is cheap

12. Scott Simonian

I hope so. I would rip my Tempest out of its box and build a nice horn. It would probably have to be folded. I got to figure how to design horn speakers cause I have fallen in love with the UNITY design a few months ago. Oooo. I would get so much more headroom from my sub if it were a horn.

13. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

You would also get so many more complaints from people living with you, and around you!

Did you get to listen to the full range Unity horn? Now there's something to make me go oooo...

14. Allen Ross

15. Scott Simonian

16. TimForman

For some reason these remind me of the Ricola commercial.

17. Allen Ross

yeah those are modled after the Carfreas ringing in at 350,000 a pair

[​IMG]

18. michael-e

michael-e Agent

19. michael-e

michael-e Agent

Oh,my website link displays as my signature below my posts,that will show the basshorns .

Cheers[​IMG]

20. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Servo Drive makes a horn loaded sub for HT (the B-DEAP 32). IIRC it requires very precise placement to enable deep bass extension (below 20Hz). I think it uses the room's wall boundaries as extensions of the horn?