What's new

Risers I built wrong 10 years ago, help? (1 Viewer)

murrayThompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Murray Thompson
10 years ago I built two risers that were totally sealed inside, now covered with rubber underlay and carpet glued to the chipboard flooring. I never filled them with insulation and didn’t add any ports, back then I didn’t know this was standard practice. I have 4x 18" ported PSA subs up front and when I have very deep base sometimes I feel/hear a resonance coming from under the seats. This isn’t always its just some deep bass that it happens, however I’m the only one that would know in the family. I believe today the situation I have is due to the drum effect is coming from the risers being fully sealed.

I’ve since been told if I open up the areas with ports say under the seats the "drum" under the seats would then be open and the resonance may improve. At this stage my problem is I don’t know where the timber joists are as I never took pictures of that, all I have is these below. One I have marked in red where the chipboard joins are and the few screw holes I can see. I’ve asked the builder but after 10+ years he cant quite remember.

What do the experts here think please?
I asked the question on another forum but before I start trying to cut holes through glued on carpet and rubber underlay I need more advice. I don’t need these risers to become tuned bass traps, I just don’t want to go into all that side of things as I know its more complicated. I’ve been told if I make ports large enough under the seats in each area between joists the risers would become like a broadband trap, that’s on by me.... Then I would EQ after with my Room Perfect from my McIntosh MX160.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• cinema risers.jpg
    cinema risers.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 89
  • _MG_5389.jpg
    _MG_5389.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 88

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks