What's new

'Firefly' added to Sci-Fi (1 Viewer)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
So do we ever get to see the Reavers that they talked about and almost came up against in the pilot?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I imagine that Universal hopes the film appeals to more than the few million who know Whedon's name or can be convinced to see it solely on the basis of "from the creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Movie!

Ohh, that's exciting.

I think it's pretty cool seeing cast members who later played villians on Buffy and Angel in the show. Kind've a perk.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I've seen the entire series, and the following isn't giving away any spoilers. I could never really get into the character of Kaylee, and it may be because of Jewel Staite's acting. Kaylee is just too nice and too hippie-ish. I'm fine with everyone else, it's just her that sticks out like a sore thumb. She isn't bad all the time, but most of the time, I don't find her character believable. I can accept the fact that she's a mechanic and all, it's just her extreme niceness and peacefulness that gets in the way. ;) I wouldn't be surprised if there are actually people like that out in the world, and I don't mind if there are, but I don't think it was a good idea to make her that nice. Does anyone feel the same way?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
You shut your damn mouth before more evil words come out of it!

;)

Admittedly, the Willow-template characters have always been my favorite on Whedon's shows, and Kaylee's more or less my favorite (traded covers with a guy at the comic shop last week because he had a Kaylee cover and I had a Book one). I think my only problem with the character is that I initially pegged her for being about five or ten years older than she was - apparently she's only supposed to be in her late teens or so.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Late TEENS!? Damn... I thought she was supposed to be at least over 20.

It's hard enough pretending River is 16/17 in SERENITY.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If you had to go through all the poking and prodding that River has undergone, you'd look a decade older, too.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, that's why the "or so". I initially thought she was supposed to be in her mid-twenties, and remember being somewhat taken aback at something in a later episode that suggested she was younger. Darned if I can remember what it was.

Also, I think she was supposed to be 17-18 when she first joined the crew, but it's not clear how far back those flashbacks were supposed to be. She could have been part of the crew for 3-4 years.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Firefly 1.03 scored a 1.1 ratings for sci-fi.

1.01 - Serenity (1 of 2) - 1.3
1.02 - Serenity (2 of 2) - 1.2
1.03 - The Train Job - 1.1

In comparison... the other original SCI-FI series have also fallen .1 point from the previous weeks.

I believe Battlestar Gallactica (their biggest hit in years) scored 2.1, 2.0, and finally 1.9 in the past 3 weeks.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I wonder how sales of the series DVD are doing? I bought it and I'm slowing watching all of the episodes on it.

I won't bother watching the rest on Sci-Fi.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I'm watching the show from scratch on Sci-Fi. I can't believe that Kaylee is supposed to be younger than mid-20s. I sort of figured she maybe burned out on some substances and was stuck in permanent happy mode. It's made for some fun statements from her like responding to 'What are we doing?' with, 'Oh, crime.'.

I think I'm going to continue to believe she's a mid-20s emotional burnout despite what you all believe. :)

As an aside, I'm enjoying the show so far, but I can see why it didn't take off. It is far less subtle about the western thing than I had expected. For some reason, I went in expecting the old west parallels to be something you'd come to realize slowly or if you were really observant but you get beaten over the head with it a bit to the point where it gets a bit goofy. But, I like the crew and the writing is fairly good, so I'm happy rolling on with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks