What's new

'Firefly' added to Sci-Fi (1 Viewer)

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
I meant the proper order according to the shows creators not Fox. Fox aired the series out of order and Sci-fi is airing the show in proper order.

Michael Henry

Second Unit
Real Name
J. Michael Henry
So, what would you suggest if you were uh...recording these to watch in order and if you were say, puting them in a digital format to keep for a long long time?

LOL!

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
Michael that list is the order in which the show was aired, *not* the order in which it was intended to be seen. It's a long story but Fox basically butchered the lineup. Serenity 1 & 2 is the actual series premiere and Sci-Fi is showing them in the correct order.

EDIT- Michael, to reiterate, watch the show in the order Sci-Fi is airing them.

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Yes, there is a correct running order. And it's the order found on the DVD set. SciFi is supposed to be following that order.

Yeah, but you can't put the widescreen back in. Get the DVDs. They're pretty cheap (

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I enjoyed the show though it did seem to start the story as if(even though it was the original pilot) this was something like the 3rd of 4th episode and there sure were a lot of characters to keep track of. With a lot of the characters not your every day nice sympathetic beings, I am guessing they soften over time?
So, I am curious. Does the series end on a cliffhanger and this movie picks up where it left off or do they take plot threads and go from there?

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
You grow to love them in a very short time, yes. :) Some of them might not "soften" so much... but you understand their actions. They feel like real people.

For those interested, according to information online, the first sci-fi airing of "Serenity-Part1" got a 1.3 rating in the key demo. With probably a little under 2 million in total viewers. Considering most of the major Firefly fans probably aren't watching these (most have the DVDs) that's not bad at all.

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
I too was horrified to see that the show is being aired full screen. Being that i've already watched the run of the series several times in widescreen I can't bear to even watch it on sci-fi. Laaaaammme.

Here's the correct order.

Serenity (parts 1 & 2)
The Train Job
Bushwhacked
Shindig
Safe
Our Mrs. Reynolds
Jaynestown***Funniest!
Out of Gas***Favorite!
Ariel***Best caper!
War Stories***Best action!
Trash
The Message
Heart of Gold
Objects in Space***Favorite

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

That's very impressive considering Battlestar Galactica typically gets in the realm of 3 million, I think.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Stargate SG-1 led off the night once again in the 8 p.m. Eastern/Pacific time slot. The second installment of the 3-part premiere drew more than 2.6 million viewers with the 2.1 rating, holding on to viewership from the season premiere.

The Stargate Atlantis episode "The Intruder" earned a 2.0 rating at 9 p.m., down 10 percent from last week's premiere.

At 10 p.m. Battlestar Galactica suffered a 23 percent drop-off from last week's highly publicized and widely reviewed season premiere. The episode "Valley of Darkness" held its lead-in audience for a 2.0 household rating. It is the lowest rating to date for the series, which premiered in January.

The three series earned ratings of 1.2 (SG-1), 0.9 (Atlantis), and 0.7 (Galactica) for their late-night reruns.

SCI FI also began reruns of FOX's cancelled series Firefly at 7 p.m. "Serenity, Part 1" earned a solid 1.3 rating outside of primetime.

So Firefly definitely wasn't bad. Original episodes would probably score much higher. A series reboot would definitely be a good idea for Sci-Fi, assuming the budget was similar to their other shows...

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I started watching this series for the first time. The first part of the pilot didn't really grab me, but it was understandably slow considering it had to introduce the characters & the setting. Part 2 was much better, I liked it a lot so I've gone ahead and ordered the DVD set.

I caught that and switched to "full" mode on my 16x9 set, and it looked great. But I'm sure 95% of the viewing public wouldn't realize or be able to do that. Somebody just screwed up.

Concerning the movie: I saw the trailer first in the theaters and had absolutely no clue as to what it was about. "Loved by millions of fans worldwide"... Whaa??? "Firefly" is not mentioned anywhere, so I had no idea that it was related to this TV series at all. It seems that they are making a conscious decision to be confusing about it to anybody who isn't already a hardcore fan of the series. Is this just because Fox owns the "Firefly" name or something?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I think Universal wanted to have its cake and eat it too, on that first trailer: Present Serenity as an established, successful product, but don't reference Firefly because a show that ran for ten episodes on Fox has the stink of death on it.

That first trailer was really awful. Aside from that, pushing Whedon's name and resumé only really appeals to the people who are already awaiting Serenity, and almost all of the clips made it look like it had the same problem as "The Train Job": Everyone speaking in the same arch, quippy style without individual personality.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I've never watched Buffy or Angel (no interest) so I didn't really care who Joss Whedon is.

Seriously, at first I thought Serenity was probably an adaptation of some comic book I'd never heard of.

I also tried to find the DVD set locally at Costco, Best Buy and Wal-Mart to no avail. I know it's been out for a while, and Fox has no desire to promote a Universal movie but would think that Fox would at least would try to take advantage of Serenity to try to sell a few more copies.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Is that a rhetorical question? I didn't care to see Serenity from the original trailer, but because I heard good things about Firefly and have watched two episodes, I am buying the DVD set. So naturally I now want to see the movie.

Robert James Clark

Second Unit
I finally got my family to start watching the DVD's of Firefly last week and they are completely hooked. They demand we watch another episode every day!

I don't know, I think "Our Mrs. Reynolds" is pretty gorram funny...
"It's been a long, long time since anyone besides me has touched my plow"

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member

I do the "10 minute rule" - I put something on and force my daughters to watch it for 10 minutes, then I pause it and ask if we should still go on. We have watched many movies that my family would otherwise never spin up this way. (like the entire Planet of the Apes set.)

Firefly is a great series. I got the DVD set and was shocked/pleased at the 3 un-aired episodes. The characters are all flawed in different ways. But this makes things so much more interesting. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks