What's new

'Firefly' added to Sci-Fi (1 Viewer)

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
Another quality addition to Sci-Fi Channel's strong Friday-night lineup:

http://tinyurl.com/7l2kz

They'll include the 3 previously-unaired episodes also.

Mayber the exposure will help to boost DVD sales of the show, in addition to its (deliberate) task of stirring interest in the upcoming "Serenity".

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I loved this show, but I can't watch it on sci-fi channel. I can't watch that channel anymore because of the dam sci-fi logo and the animated sh*t they put on the screen.

I'll just rent the DVD's on netflix.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I watched the very first episode that was televised during it's original airing. I guess, maybe, that it lost it's impact since they didnt show them in order.
I am going to give it one more chance since I love Joss' other stuff.

PaulHeroy

Stunt Coordinator
I do hope this gives a boost to Firefly in general, DVD sales and especially to the upcoming movie, Serenity.

Since I have the DVD set and have watched it through a couple of times, I won't be watching SciFi's showings. If anyone likes Joss's work I'd recommend at least renting the DVDs, or just go ahead and buy the set since it's not too expensive. It works much better to watch them in order than the original broadcasts. (From that perspective at least, SciFi is apparently doing it right.)

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
Everyone should own the dvd set. If you see an ep on sci fi and like it buy the dvd set and watch the rest I say, Do it now!

Scotty_McW

Second Unit
After seeing the ads for the show last night during the premieres on SciFi I got to wondering: is there a chance that this show could be revived?

Perhaps if it has strong ratings on SciFi, combined with the already strong sales of the DVD and if Serenity performs well at the theater maybe there's a chance that it could be brought back. I know the movie is distributed by Universal and don't they own SciFi? I think it would make a fantastic replacement for Andromeda (or is that series still running?)

Thoughts?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Universal is probably more interested in seeing how Serenity does in late September at the theaters, and then I will guess that its future lies in theatrical productions, not in TV (keeping the core cast together is one of the logistical problems that could preclude Firefly from returning to the small screen on a regular basis).

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
I watched 1 ep of Firefly for 1 ep and gave up. It wasn't the first ep.

If this show was so good, then whoever originally aired it, fox?, did a bad job of promoting it.

I learned more about what the show was about in the Sci Fi commercial than I did in watching it while it was on TV.

I'll give it another shot from the start.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

I know I've seen common mention of a clause in Universal buying the rights from Fox that there could be no new TV show anytime in the near future.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck

Yeah, that's pretty much what happened. :p) :D

Seriously, though; I'm glad that it's getting some promotion. And I'll be happy to see it continue, either on TV or on the big screen.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The gist/re-hash of the sordid piss-poor marketing of Firefly by Fox is that in the fall of 2002 they decided to play the episodes out of order (airing more action-orient episodes first, like "The Train Job"), and the show was pre-empted by Fox's baseball playoff coverage, so there was no weekly momentum for the show to build up, and then by the time the playoffs ended, the damage had been done, Firefly's ratings just didn't impress the execs at Fox, and thus, it was unceremoniously dumped, causing utter disappointment for Browncoats everywhere.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
(keeping the core cast together is one of the logistical problems that could preclude Firefly from returning to the small screen on a regular basis). ***

However, most of them don't seem to be doing much else at this point. Although they've moved on to other projects nobody seems tied to anything overwhelming. Considering they've all pretty much been quoted as saying it was the best working experience of their lives I'm sure they'd do anything possible to get to work on the show again.

Considering the recent success of the Battlestar series (sci-fi's ratings for this show are great for that channel) I could see a potential revival working. Firefly has built up quite a following in the time since it was cancelled. Just last week the DVD set was #2 at deepdiscountdvd.com and I think it has hit amazon.com's top 10 multiple times since the initial release in 2003.

If the movie is a moderate hit, I can see them trying sequels before a potential television revival (especially since Joss is busy with Wonder Woman at this point).

It's a longshot, but considering the direction television is in, I wouldn't rule it out.

BTW, FOX's promos for Firefly were terrible. I think of Firefly as one of the best shows of the last decade... and I lost interest the first time around. Airing the pilot after 10 other episodes is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. Not to mention airing those 10 out of order, and promoting it like the show was Ally McBeal spliced with Star Trek...

"The quirkiest show of the new season!" ".... and a girl in a box!" I can't understand what they were thinking.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
If you have not seen Firefly, rent it or plan to watch it when it hits Sci-Fi. I've seen Serenity, and it helps a lot to know the characters going into the movie (which is terrific, BTW).

RickGr

Second Unit
However Firefly failed to gain in audience and in fact lost viewership as it went on. It was apparent that for whatever reason some who watched early did not tune back in unlike a show like LOST that some at ABC did not give much hope for but grew in ratings week after week.
Its a shame now but in network broadcast TV you better be an instant hit. Very few shows are given time to grow.
The cable networks SciFi/USA/FX etc. may be the way to go for these "cult" type shows.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
You have to figure, however, that a lot of people that tuned out were those who were confused by the story. I, personally, was one of these people. The series had a very unique universe 500 years in the future... and instead of giving us the 2 hour introduction to that... FOX threw us in the middle then pulled the carpet out from under us by airing episodes out of order...

How many times have you heard people online say things like "I'll wait for the DVD release..." That has an effect on ratings too.

LOST was promoted like crazy with ads, lots of buzz, and had a few names in the cast. It also came out at a time when people were relatively burned out on reality and weekly dramas with mysteries were back in. It was a breakout hit. Firefly had an unusual premise, unknowns, very little buzz, and a timeslot that almost no series has survived. If different steps were taken, I'm sure it would have had a better chance to attract viewers.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
I truly think the best place for genre shows these days is basic cable nets like Sci-Fi, F/X, and USA. Those nets have a built in audience already interested in the subject matter, do an outstanding job of promoting upcoming shows, and the ratings competetion is much lower. As great as Battlestar Galactica does for Sci-Fi it would be incredibly low rated on the networks.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I think The Train Job was the worst episode in Firefly's short run. With no backstory and being dropped in media res coupled with the schedule interruptions, I decided not to tune in to any other episodes after War Stories. Luckily I gave the show a second chance and picked up the DVD set. I'm really looking forward to Serenity in Sept.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Count me in as somebody that sampled "The Train Job" (the first episode aired by Fox), and was underwhelmed.

Later, after hearing all the buzz, I decided to pick up the DVD box (it was on sell at Best Buy at the time for $34.95; this seemed like a pretty good deal considering the first season of Star Trek: Voyager had just about the same number of episodes and MSRPed for $129.95!)

In short, I was blown away. At about the fourth episode the show "jelled"; and the writers, actors, directors, and post-production crew were obviously all totally in sync. With some shows, this *never* happens! I think I would be safe in stating that each of the last eight episodes could easily have been given Four Star ratings. Stringing eight consecutive Four Star shows together almost never happens with episodic TV.

To sum up :It's almost impossible to believe that Fox cancelled this show! Whoever was responsible for:
A.) The decision to not air the pilot;
B.) The decision to air the episodes out of order;
C.) The decision to air the show on Sunday nights where it was subject to periodic pre-emptions from sporting events;
... probably cost Fox a Top Ten franchise show!

I hope the individuals involved were appropriately "rewarded"!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks