What's new

Finished my DIY Speakers! (1 Viewer)

FreddyT

Auditioning
Hello there...been visiting (lurking?) HTF for a long time but this would be my first post :)
I just wanted to share my joy and say how proud I am that I have finally finished my DIY speakers and subwoofer and I am so pleased with the results. I just wish I had a digital camera so you all can see them instead of just reading about them.

My speakers are 7 identical bookshelves based on the Human Speakers Model 61 design (I'm not allowed to post links so add the 'beginning' part to the URLs),
humanspeakers.com/diy/61.htm
humanspeakers.com/human/61text.htm
They are finished in red oak veneer that had been dyed black and then poslished to a high-gloss finish.
I bought kits/parts for 8 speakers but using the last one for a 'project' later on...it's essentially going be the same bookshelf but built to lay horizontal, "on it's side" (with the tweeter rotated accordingly), similar to how the Ascend CBM-170 can be placed on it's side for center channel placement.

My subwoofer is based on the SX10 driver and the HS200 Hypex amplifier from Creative Sound,
creativesound.ca/details.php?model=EZSUBPB10200
creativesound.ca/details.php?model=CLARUSX!0
I spend a bit more than I originally budgeted for the sub mainly because I bit the bullet and went with that piano black cabinet seen in the pics. I was originally going to have the cabinet built using the same black-dyed red oak veneer as my bookshelves. That high-gloss "mirror" finish does look stunning though.

If you're curious, I'm using the Outlaw Audio 1050 receiver as a pre/pro along with the 7100 amplifier. I'm eventually going to sell the 1050 and upgrade to the 950 pre/pro.

As soon as I have access to a digital camera, I'll post some pics so you all can see my new pride and joy :D

I'll be happy to answer any questions or provide more technical and/or design information on my speakers/sub. Just ask ;)

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
Sounds like a nice project Freddy. Too bad you don't have a camera, I'd love to see how the finish on those turned out!

FreddyT

Auditioning
Thanks Owen. The finishing on the bookshelves was VERY labor intensive - remember, I had to do 7 of them (the main reason why I decided to go with a "pre-finished" sub cabinet - I was tired) and I couldn't be happier with the end-result. To give you an idea of the "look"...check out this article which gave me the inspiration for my finish (again, you'll have to add the 'beginning' of the URL),
hometheaterhifi.com/volume_8_3/diy-13-audax-center-channel-speaker-9-2001.html
Scroll all the way down to the last picture which gives the best perspective of the finish, although you really have to see them in person to fully appreciate the work that was put in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks