What's new

Starting my first HT. Come check out what I'm getting and help me out! (1 Viewer)

ODirty

Auditioning
Real Name
Tyler
Hey guys, First post here. I've been doing a lot of research and I am finally buying the components for my first ht. This is going to to be a low budget ht and I have a ton of questions.Room specs: 17ft long, 9ft 3in wide and ceiling height is 7ft 6inPics: http://m.imgur.com/a/Fe4P8I just got done painting the room, including ceiling, a dark blue/grey with a matte finish. It looks great. Equipment I plan on buying: 5.1 setupPJ- BenQ W1070Front speakers: infinity Primus p163 --- (just bought these yesterday off amazon for $150 for the pair)Rear speakers: infinity Primus p153'sCenter speaker: infinity Primus c351Sub: have NO CLUE, wanted to spend less than $250 (cheap I know, may get a used one if I can find one)AVR: Yamaha RX v675 Screen: was thinking about making my own DIY screen with blackout cloth and mounting it on the wall with a wood frame.Since the room is so narrow, we have had a hard time finding seats that we can fit in the room. We want to use this room for movies/tv and especially for football games. So having multiple rows of seats prob will not work because we are limited in space and with our budget. For now, we may buy a row of three theater seats and throw some bean bags in there. That way we can have a table for food and stuff during games.My questions:1) where should i place my speakers (front and rears) (Height and distance) for the best sound quality?2) any suggestions for a descent sub that is at or under $250?3) what do I need to buy as far a cables/speaker wire/hdmi to run everything to the closet (in pics above).4)where should I get them(cables and stuff) ^-- we are not going to drill any wires into the walls, so we are going to get that adhesive conduit that sticks to the walls, and paint it the same color as the room.As far as the speakers go, do mount them at ear level? Can I just place them on the window ledges (look at pic link)?5) how far off the back wall should the seating be? I read that you need to have the rear speakers as far away from the audience as they are from front speakers; but that would look weird in my room if I had the only seats midway in the room right?If anyone has ANY suggestions, feel free to post them. Thanks a ton!(Will post pics of Newley painted room if anyone is interested)-Tyler

ODirty

Auditioning
Real Name
Tyler
Should also note that I found a motorized screen, Elite Screens brand, 100 inches for $150 on craigslist. Is that a good deal? I figured it would be about $100 to make my own.

ODirty

Auditioning
Real Name
Tyler
got the p153's today. sound good. love two day shipping from amazon. thanks for looking

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Are you doing 7.1 at any time? You only have one set of surrounds and a capable receiver listed. Personally, I would get the P363 for the front left/right (there's a BIG sale on those at Amazon right now) and save up for a more capable subwoofer ($250 won't get you much). And I would return the P153's. Stick with the P163's for the surrounds.

Even if you're working within a budget... don't compromise too much by trying to buy everything at once. That can be a mistake made by first time home theater buyers. You'll want more capable speakers since we're starting to move towards superior 3D surround formats with three-axis controllable sound objects rather than just fixed channels... like Dolby Atmos. More bass frequencies are moving into the surrounds too, hence the recommendation for the P163's over the P153's.

Sides surrounds with two rows of seating and a small room like yours... place them between the two rows. Rear surrounds at 150 degrees.
dolby_pro_logic2x.jpg

There are also ways of temporarily plugging those side window wells, so they're taken out of the equation.

Do you have all your equipment listed? TV decoder? Blu-ray player??

A lot of people buy their speaker wire and HDMI cables at Monoprice.com.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks