What's new

Fantastic Four (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps Marvel took note of this when they were looking to cast a certain other role for the MCU. They also gave Michael B. Jordan a great role as Kilmonger after the failure of the 2015 version of Fantastic 4.

I could see the 2005/07 "FF" movies as an influence on Evans' casting, even though Torch and Cap are very different characters.

Less convinced the 2015 "FF" had anything to do with MBJ's casting, mainly because he was already a star when they put "Panther" into production.

Evans had been around about a decade before "Cap" but hadn't really gotten to star level, whereas MBJ had "Creed" - and a much higher profile - before he entered the MCU...

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Less convinced the 2015 "FF" had anything to do with MBJ's casting, mainly because he was already a star when they put "Panther" into production.
I didn't mean to imply that he was cast because of F4 Jordan had a relationship with Ryan Coogler already from Fruitvale Station and Creed and was obviously going to do great things with Kilmonger. I just meant to recognize that Black Panther provided him an opportunity to be in a great comic book movie after F4 did not work out for him.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I didn't mean to imply that he was cast because of F4 Jordan had a relationship with Ryan Coogler already from Fruitvale Station and Creed and was obviously going to do great things with Kilmonger. I just meant to recognize that Black Panther provided him an opportunity to be in a great comic book movie after F4 did not work out for him.

I'm apparently the only one, but I kinda liked the newest "FF" movie.

I knew it'd been panned when I saw it theatrically. I only went because I was in the mood for a movie and it was the only thing out there I had any interest in seeing that night.

As I watched, it kept waiting for it to suck, but it never did.

Not that it's a great - or even very good - movie, but I liked it.

Sure found it more interesting than the 00s flicks!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

I knew it'd been panned when I saw it theatrically. I only went because I was in the mood for a movie and it was the only thing out there I had any interest in seeing that night.

As I watched, it kept waiting for it to suck, but it never did.

Not that it's a great - or even very good - movie, but I liked it.

Sure found it more interesting than the 00s flicks!
Not to say that the '05 and '07 FF movies were great but I thought the first one especially did a nice job at capturing the lighthearted tone of a 1960's FF Marvel comic book. Those comics are from 60 years ago and are kind of goofy, fun & soap operatic at times while most or all comic book movies today are taking the whole thing fairly seriously so I don't think that "old comic book" approach would really work for movie audiences today.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

There was like ten minutes in the middle of that movie where it turned into a Cronenberg-esque body horror movie as the team starts discovering their powers and that was pretty effective and interesting. And then the reshoots kicked in. I would have watched more of that.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Honestly, I want a director with a love of the source material. Just the Lee/Kirby/Sinnott era alone is overflowing with cinematic ideas and the sense that the FF were a family of adventurers rather than super-heroes. We don't need the origin again. We need very little of an intro. Man, they can even explain where they've been all this time and still have them one of the early super folks (I always hated that Marvel's First Family wasn't actually...well...first in the MCU).

I would love, absolutely love, if we see them in Ant-Man 3 post credits exploring the Quantum Realm.

Reed (holding a widget to get them home): "What Scott said...Three days of exploration for us was ten years for Earth. Fascinating!"
Ben: "Fascinatin'? Easy for you to say, you brought your lady with ya!"
Johnny: "What are you griping about? You only lost one!"
Sue: "Boys, did you forget there's an armada of creatures attacking us?"
Pull out to see hundreds of little buggers kept out by Sue's force field.
Sue: "We can't take them with us."
Johnny: "Oh shit."
Reed: "Really Johnny? Profanity?"
Ben (winking at Sue): "How's this instead?"
Sue nods and bumps the creatures off the field before removing it.
Ben: "It's clobberin' time!!!!"

Blackout

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I always thought Peyton Reed would be an ideal director for Fantastic Four.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Sounds like Watts has just had his fill of superhero movies for a while after the Spider-Man trilogy
I don't even think it's necessarily about it being a superhero movie specifically, but just about the size of the job. Watts was hired to direct Homecoming in June 2015. Because Sony wanted Spider-Man films every two years, he basically went from one to the next to the next. They are obviously large-scale productions that got even larger and more complicated each time. That had to make his job more complex too. I really don't know how much of a break he got between films, but it can't have been that much. So it reads to me like he just needs a break to recharge, which is totally understandable and fair.

The fact that Watts is leaving, rather than Marvel delaying the film to give him a vacation first, suggests to me that they want the film sooner than he would be able to give it to them. I have been thinking this would be part of their 2024 slate, and this would support that theory.

This just became a really hot open directing job. While I would have liked to see Watts do it, I doubt Marvel will have a problem finding a good filmmaker who wants to do this relatively quickly.

Edited to correct typo.

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I don't even think it's necessarily about it being a superhero movie specifically, but just about the size of the job.
Six of one, half a dozen of the other. As you say, it's not like Fantastic Four is going to be a smaller picture.

This way, he can get moving on the movie he's making with George Clooney faster too.

The fact that Watts is leaving, rather than Marvel delaying the film to give him a vacation first, suggests to me that they want the film sooner than he would be able to give it to them. I have been thinking this would be part of their 2024 slate, and this would support that theory.

This just became a really hot open directing job. While I would have liked to see Watts do it, I doubt Marvel will have a problem finding a fgood ilmmaker who wants to do this relatively quickly.
This is why I don't think it's going to be Peyton Reed, who would be the obvious choice from Marvel's existing stable of directors. Even with the earlier release date for the next Ant-Man movie, he's going to be into post-production through the end of the year, at least. They're gonna want someone who can dive into planning and pre-production sooner rather than later.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
This is why I don't think it's going to be Peyton Reed, who would be the obvious choice from Marvel's existing stable of directors.
I don't think they need to pick from their existing slate of directors. I think they will go find somebody new.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Assuming that they keep John Krasinski as Reed Richards for the main MCU version of the character, who you bet on for the rest of the team?

Before his casting, I would have figured they'd go young to maximize their available years to play these characters credibly.

Her are some thoughts on the first character.

Sue Storm/Invisible Woman:
But with a fortysomething Mr. Fantastic, I don't think they'll want to go with a college age Sue Storm or it will feel like Reed is stealing from the cradle a bit. Go I'm assuming someone in her thirties, late twenties at the youngest.
  • Jessica Rothe
  • Rachel Brosnahan
  • Imogen Poots
  • Mackenzie Davis
  • Yvonne Strahovski
  • Teresa Palmer
  • Elisha Cuthbert
  • Gillian Jacobs
  • sabel Lucas
  • Hayden Panettiere
  • Haley Bennett
  • Charlotte Sullivan
  • Evan Rachel Wood
  • Leighton Meester
  • Amanda Seyfried
  • Emily Browning
  • Annabelle Wallis

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Assuming that they keep John Krasinski as Reed Richards for the main MCU version of the character, who you bet on for the rest of the team?
When Krasinski showed up in my screening, someone actually yelled out, "So he's directing!"

As to your larger question, I have no idea as I'm not familiar with the characters. I've actually never seen any of the previous movies about this group so have decided to make the MCU version my first experience with them.

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

I'm not sure that I can say with a straight face that I liked Trank's FF film. What I can do, though, is say that I liked it better than any of the previous FF films. The Corman one was, well, just ghastly (but not the worst superhero film I've ever seen). The first of Tim Story's two films had a few good things going for it, but it didn't hold together. Like what happened with Raimi's Spider-Man 3, Story (or perhaps executive idiots at Fox) tried to cram 10 pounds of shit into a 5 pound bag. And they didn't learn from that mistake, because they did the same thing with the sequel.

(I always hated that Marvel's First Family wasn't actually...well...first in the MCU).

Well, they were never called "Marvel's First Family" because they were first in any way. They were the "First Family" in the same sense that we refer to the residents of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington, D.C. as America's "First Family".

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Before his casting, I would have figured they'd go young to maximize their available years to play these characters credibly.

Her are some thoughts on the first character.

Sue Storm/Invisible Woman:
But with a fortysomething Mr. Fantastic, I don't think they'll want to go with a college age Sue Storm or it will feel like Reed is stealing from the cradle a bit. Go I'm assuming someone in her thirties, late twenties at the youngest.
  • Jessica Rothe
  • Rachel Brosnahan
  • Imogen Poots
  • Mackenzie Davis
  • Yvonne Strahovski
  • Teresa Palmer
  • Elisha Cuthbert
  • Gillian Jacobs
  • sabel Lucas
  • Hayden Panettiere
  • Haley Bennett
  • Charlotte Sullivan
  • Evan Rachel Wood
  • Leighton Meester
  • Amanda Seyfried
  • Emily Browning
  • Annabelle Wallis
If Krasinski is in this, you have to figure Emily Blunt is the favorite for his wife.

She'd be ideal, if you ask me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks