Fantastic Four

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Title: Fantastic Four

Genre: Action, Adventure, Family, Science Fiction

Marvel Studios has officially announced that development is underway on the MCU’s take on The Fantastic Four.

No casting announced yet (though I’m hoping the rumors of John Krasinski and Emily Blunt pan out), but it will be directed by Spider Man (Homecoming, Far From Home and Untitled Spidey 3) director Jon Watts.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Been almost a year and still no cast
That's because Jon Watts has been working on Spider-Man: No Way Home. Then he is going to write and direct a film starring George Clooney and Brad Pitt for Apple before doing this.

Marvel's slate is booked through July 2023, so it's not like they need this film urgently.

The announcement last year was just to get people hyped at the Disney investor day. It didn't mean things were going to happen right away.

There is still plenty of time for this to get cast and made before 2024, which is always when I expected we would see it. As I said recently in another thread, I don't think Marvel will be able to resist releasing the reboot of Fantastic 4 in 2024.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Yeah that’s what I was wondering.

It isn’t a secret that there are two previous movies plus that Cormsn one which isn’t that bad.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The Fantastic Four (1994) - The Roger Corman effort.

Fantastic Four (2005) directed by Tim Story
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (sequel to the 2005 film, also directed by Tim Story)

Fantastic Four (2015) reboot with new cast, directed by Josh Trank

Fantastic Four (2024), another reboot, directed by Jon Watts

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The difference between this version and all of the others is that Marvel Studios will be handling it now. Kevin Feige and his team do not have a completely spotless perfect track record, but they are pretty close. So I would not bet against them on this one.

I am probably a rarity around here in that I have not seen any of the previous Fantastic 4 adaptations, and at this point I don't want to. I also don't read the comics. I'm going to be going into this film completely fresh with no expectations or preconceived notions about it.

All that being said, Jon Watts has made at least two (and possibly three) extremely entertaining Spider-Man movies that were big crowd-pleasers. He obviously works very well with Marvel. I'm going to guess that he will also be a good fit for F4 based on the success of those movies.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The Fantastic Four (1994) - The Roger Corman effort.

Fantastic Four (2005) directed by Tim Story
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (sequel to the 2005 film, also directed by Tim Story)

Fantastic Four (2015) reboot with new cast, directed by Josh Trank

Fantastic Four (2024), another reboot, directed by Jon Watts
Looks like 2005, 2015, and 2024 are reboots. No wonder I’m confused. :D

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Looks like 2005, 2015, and 2024 are reboots. No wonder I’m confused. :D

2005 wasn't really a "reboot" because the 1994 one never saw the light of day.

It's not clear why this happened, as different parties have different stories, but the fact remains that the 1994 "FF" has never been seen by the public beyond bootlegs.

Though the whole thing can be viewed on Youtube. Have a look - if you dare! :D

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I know it'll never happen but I'd love to see Michael Chiklis come back as The Thing. Not as The Thing of the Fox FF movies but Chiklis playing the character in the MCU. In terms of the silver age/1960's Thing, I thought he nailed the character and was the best part of those movies.

Chiklis is nearly 60 - way too old for the role!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Chiklis is nearly 60 - way too old for the role!
He's a damn good actor, he can play 30. :laugh: How about for human Ben Grimm, they cast a younger guy and then have Chiklis play The Thing? Like I said, it'll never happen but more than anything, my point was that Chiklis did a great job of bringing the comic book character to live action.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
He's a damn good actor, he can play 30. :laugh: How about for human Ben Grimm, they cast a younger guy and then have Chiklis play The Thing? Like I said, it'll never happen but more than anything, my point was that Chiklis did a great job of bringing the comic book character to live action.

Yeah, Chiklis and Chris Evans are pretty much the only saving graces of the 2005/2007 movies.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Chris Evans
Perhaps Marvel took note of this when they were looking to cast a certain other role for the MCU. They also gave Michael B. Jordan a great role as Kilmonger after the failure of the 2015 version of Fantastic 4.

my point was that Chiklis did a great job of bringing the comic book character to live action.
Perhaps they can find Chiklis another role somewhere else in the MCU as well that would utilize his talents in something better. At the rate the MCU is expanding both in films and on Disney+, they're constantly needing to bring in more actors. If he wants in, I bet they could find a good fit for him somewhere.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, Chiklis and Chris Evans are pretty much the only saving graces of the 2005/2007 movies.
Evans is another one they should bring back but only to confuse the mainstream audience with Captain America suddenly having a new name, new backstory, and being able to burst into flames. :)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
The comic series was a fave of mine throughout most of the 80's. Here's hoping this 3rd (official) time is the charm...

And can't wait for some clobbering time! ;) :D

_Man_

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks