What's new

Press Release Shout Factory Press Release: The Company of Wolves (1984) (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
box.png

"A GLOOMY, FANTASTICAL UNIVERSE FILLED WITH GNARLED TREES, WICKED THORNBUSHES, CLAMMY MISTS, TORTUROUS PATHS ... THE MOVIE HAS AN UNCANNY HYPNOTIC FORCE ..." – Roger Ebert

Fascinating and imaginative, this riveting thriller from director Neil Jordan (Interview With The Vampire) brings the timeless tale of "Little Red Riding Hood" and werewolf fables together in a haunting, compelling and eerie way.

A wise grandmother (Angela Lansbury) tells her granddaughter Rosaleen (Sarah Patterson) a disturbing tale of innocent maidens falling in love with handsome strangers ... and of their sudden mysterious disappearances when the moon is full and accompanied by the strange sound of a beast in the woods. Nominated for four BAFTA awards including Best Costume Design, Best Make Up Artist, Best Production Design/Art Direction and Best Special Visual Effects, The Company Of Wolves is a tale that will chill you like no other ...

November 22, 2022

company.png

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
A great cult movie from Neil Jordan, made before his breakthrough, Mona Lisa. Definitely worth an upgrade from the tatty-looking region B version from 2012.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
I love this film. My old DVD (Hen's Tooth Video) states 1:78:1.
Anyone know how it was released, and/or why it is 1:66:1 on the upcoming 4K?
And what is on the second disc?
Thanks.

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I love this film. My old DVD (Hen's Tooth Video) states 1:78:1.
Anyone know how it was released, and/or why it is 1:66:1 on the upcoming 4K?
And what is on the second disc?
Thanks.

The 2012 ITV Blu-ray that titch mentions (I disagree about it being "tatty" though) is also 1.78:1. That ratio is often a label's laziness in just making it 16x9 "full screen" instead of matting it to 1.85:1, 1.75:1, or 1.66:1. I'm pretty sure that it was most likely 1.66 for UK release and 1.85 for US release. For what it's worth, the IMDb says that it's 1.66:1.

I also have a Vestron Video laserdisc of this that was cropped (and not pan-&-scanned) at 1.33:1. Based on how not-too-badly the sides were cut, I'd guess that 1.66:1 is the proper ratio. Interestingly enough, the LaserDisc Database also lists a UK-release LD, also from Vestron, that's "1.77:1", though a user notes somewhat vaguely: "The aspect ratio does vary slightly through the film, but is generally widescreen-ish."

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
DISC ONE - 4K BLU-RAY
  • BRAND NEW 4K RESTORATION OF THE FILM FROM THE ORIGINAL CAMERA NEGATIVE (2022)
  • DOLBY VISION/HDR PRESENTATION OF THE FILM
  • NEW Audio Commentary with producer Chris Brown and actors Micha Bergese and Kathryn Pogson
  • Audio Commentary with director Neil Jordan>
  • Optional English SDH subtitles for the main feature
DISC TWO - BLU-RAY
  • BRAND NEW 4K RESTORATION OF THE FILM FROM THE ORIGINAL CAMERA NEGATIVE (2022)
  • NEW Audio Commentary with producer Chris Brown and actors Micha Bergese and Kathryn Pogson
  • NEW Where the Fairy Tales End: Scoring The Company of Wolves – an interview with composer George Fenton
  • NEW Alice in Dreamland – An interview with actress Georgia Slowe
  • Audio Commentary with director Neil Jordan
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • TV spot
  • Still Gallery
  • Optional English SDH subtitles for the main feature

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Finally gotten around to picking up the UHD. It's a definite upgrade from the ITV (Region 2) Blu-ray. But, boy, Shout! really seems to have a problem with it's packaging.

First of all, they claim that the movie runs +/-91 minutes, but it's 95 minutes.

Secondly, they claim that it's in the 1.66:1 ratio, but it's actually 1.85:1.

Thirdly, they list a "New interview with producer Chris Brown and special makeup effects artist Christopher Tucker" as one of the extras, and it's nowhere to be found on the disc. Conversely, there are two interviews included on the disc that aren't listed on the package! Unless they're part of what is listed as the last special feature: "Behind the Scenes" (only slightly less vague than "And More!"). What Ronald posted in the previous post is correct, but the package itself is not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks