What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Neil Jordan's The Company of Wolves returns to the darker side of olde fairy tales, with Angela Lansbury in a role akin to that of James Baskett in Song of the South - a teller of tales.

Best to quote Mr. Ebert on this, as his words are always worth reading...

"Granny warns her young granddaughter to beware of men whose eyebrows meet, for in the full of the moon their hidden natures are likely to emerge, and they will have fangs, and sharp claws, and eyes that glow in the dark. The girl believes her, but she still puts on her red hood and walks through the woods to grandmother's house, and is surprised by what big teeth Granny has.

"The Company of Wolves" is a dream about werewolves and little girls and deep, dark forests. It is not a children's film and it is not an exploitation film; it is a disturbing and stylish attempt to collect some of the nightmares that lie beneath the surface of "Little Red Riding Hood."

This is a film that nightmares are made of, and it comes to 4k UHD in absolutely perfect form via Scream Factory, and to me represents four for four of their most recent releases - Carrie, Last Detail, WarGames and Company of Wolves.

More please!

Image – 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1 from Dolby Stereo)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 4.25

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes

Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Alas, their website says they only have it for rent.
The 4K is still listed as available for sale. It was there last week.
F136EC41-38D8-4A87-ADC4-A9D2E33B89FC.jpeg

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
Speaking of Neil Jordan----More of his films need to be on bluray. INTERVIEW WITH A VAMPIRE 4K----THE BUTCHER BOY---BREAKFAST ON PLUTO.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Aside from a gooey transformation sequence far gorier than the one in AWIL, this film will disappoint those looking for a traditional werewolf movie. It plays more like an Off Broadway production without the musical numbers. It doesn't help that the film was shot on soundstages (at least that's the way it looks to me). I still found it enjoyable on a certain level and the film certainly looks the best it ever has here.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
That's because it's not a traditional werewolf horror movie. It's very specifically designed and told as a fairy tale.

Well, it was always marketed as a werewolf movie. The original theatrical poster's iconic image of a wolf in transformation mode was hard to miss on video store shelves, which is probably why we rented it back in the day. I don't think my family would've bothered if we thought it was Little Red Riding Hood :)

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Well, it was always marketed as a werewolf movie. The original theatrical poster's iconic image of a wolf in transformation mode was hard to miss on video store shelves, which is probably why we rented it back in the day. I don't think my family would've bothered if we thought it was Little Red Riding Hood :)
I saw this theatrically and it was marketed as an adult werewolf horror film (similar to American Werewolf in London). However, it was instantly clear that it was not what we were expecting, it was awful. When I was compiling my list of 5 films I wouldn't watch again, I rewatched the first ten minutes to see whether the passage of time had changed my view, it hadn't!

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I saw this theatrically and it was marketed as an adult werewolf horror film (similar to American Werewolf in London). However, it was instantly clear that it was not what we were expecting, it was awful. When I was compiling my list of 5 films I wouldn't watch again, I rewatched the first ten minutes to see whether the passage of time had changed my view, it hadn't!
In NYC, it was marketed as an art film, a series of post modern variations on Little Red Riding Hood, based on stories by Angela Carter, whom I love, with Angela Lansbury as grandma, kind of reprising her role from Sweeney Todd. It turned out to be much better than I expected, but then, it wasn't marketed as horror, which it has nothing to do with. It demands a certain sense of participation and collbaoration from an audience. Some of it is amazing. It's not perfect, but for my money, it has a lot going for it, especially Dame Angela, if you approach it from the right perspective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks